Anybody using Tape Echo/Delay?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:54 am

In the plug in world, I think the Space Echo from UAD is pretty authentic, and isn't going to crap out like the real thing. I've had a real RE-201, but between it not always working perfectly and it being pretty noise, the UAD plug in is just a lot simpler and less frustrating.

I use the plug in on guitars, vocals, and sometimes snare drum.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Re: Anybody using Tape Echo/Delay?

Post by Harry » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:37 am

E-money wrote:Obviously some of you are.

I'm curious what kind of setups people are using to achieve this. What are the ins and outs of what's needed to do this? Any recommended (cheap) decks that can be used? Anybody doing this with a cassette deck? Anybody doing this with something they built DIY? Any good websites? Anybody have some examples I can listen to where they used it on a track?

I love the Roland space echo,but it's the only one I have.
I lust after the Hiwatt and the Fulltone tte....some day:)

If I was going to buy one I would get a Hiwatt. because they're new and they're about $400 cheaper than a Fulltone.

In my set up it works best on an aux.

I've never done anything with a cassette but I suspect that it's going to be pretty limited as far as tape echo trippy fun goes..but that's only a guess as I've never messed with it.

here's an extreme example of tape echo trippy fun
the song "Emancipation" on the vocals about 1:40 into the song

http://www.myspace.com/halfpintjones

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Re: Anybody using Tape Echo/Delay?

Post by Dakota » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:26 am

E-money wrote: Any recommended (cheap) decks that can be used? Anybody doing this with a cassette deck?
Any 3 head deck, cassette or reel. Check your local craigslist consumer electronics section, tape decks are junk to most people now. Much available for cheap.
E-money wrote:What are the ins and outs of what's needed to do this?
To really get it cool, at least a small mixer is helpful to shape the feedback path.

Like, audio track coming in on a mixer channel or two... send from aux 1 to tape deck input L, aux 2 to input R. Bring the outputs of the tape deck back into two more mixer channels. Pan those out left and right - then the fun starts! Try sending from the return of tape L to aux 2, and tape R to aux 1. That will get stereo ping-pong feedback repeats. From there, try adding a little aux 1 send from tape L, a little aux 2 from tape R - that will make the stereo image wide on the first repeat, and move toward the center on more repeats.

If you have a polarity flip on your mixer channel, try that on one (only one) of the tape L or R returns. Makes great hyper-stereo air, each repeat alternates between stereo in-phase and out of phase. Not mono-compatible, but whatever.

And don't forget eq - low cuts, high cuts, mid sweeps on the tape L & R channels. Classic dub.

Patch in any cool thing in the feedback path - phaser, flanger, reverb.

If the deck is open reel, try jiggling the tape as it runs - great vibrato.

I confess to having a lot of tape delays and tape decks tasked as delays.

E-money
pushin' record

Post by E-money » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:44 am

Great info everybody, I'm getting juiced to give this a try.

The Tascam 122 tape decks aren't cheap, one just sold on Ebay for $242.44.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=006

Not seeing too many other 3 head cassette decks with varispeed. I'll have to start checking the local pawn shops and Craigslist.
"Politics are like sports, where all the teams suck"

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:09 am

E-money wrote:Great info everybody, I'm getting juiced to give this a try.

Not seeing too many other 3 head cassette decks with varispeed. I'll have to start checking the local pawn shops and Craigslist.

Holy shit***? That's crazy
here's another one that went for more so it's not a fluke

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tascam-122MKIII-122 ... dZViewItem

I wonder if the people paying that are using them for fx?

You could almost get a Echoplex,Hiwatt,or a space echo for that.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:05 am

The Massey TD5 plug is fo' shizzle. awesome plug-in. my favorite. i've used it on tons of shit, and never disliked the results.

-ryan
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:55 am

E-money wrote:Great info everybody, I'm getting juiced to give this a try.

Some of the 70's/early 80's Nakamichi cassette decks had varispeed. And 3 heads.

If you are brave enough, or the deck didn't cost enough to worry about, you can often put in a quick and dirty varispeed on any tape deck. Open it up, look for a trim potentiometer, probably near the motor circuits. Have a steady tone already recorded on a cassette, listen and use a mini screwdriver to turn the pot. If the pitch changes, that's the calibration varispeed. Unsolder the connections to that, run wires out to a potentiometer you attach to the outside of the deck.

Or locate the power supply wires going to the motor itself. Identify the + one, connect a wire-wound potentiometer from there to ground. That'll variably slow the motor. This could stress out some decks, so try at your own risk.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:20 am

joel hamilton wrote:I will usually have at least one tape echo going on a mix, almost always. I used to use a tascam 122 MkIII a LOT for tape echo, because it had vari speed, it made it actually really cool, instead of just taking whatever I got coming back off a fixed 3 head cassette deck.
Recalls he has one stored, in the garage!

It's a fave software effect of mine; can't wait to try it this way!

Don't know why I didn't remember to before...

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

mc437
pushin' record

Post by mc437 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:11 pm

Sorry for the ignorance, but I have a Tascan 122 MkIII and want to use it for tape echo. Could someone walk me through setting up a tape echo? I would REALLY appreciate it. Thanks.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:40 pm

Look at Dakota's post, above.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

yellodoggmusic
audio school graduate

Post by yellodoggmusic » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:54 pm

I just picked up a revox a700 from a cassette duplication studio in PA for a couple hundred, anyhow, it has a setting called MP ECHO, which i guess feedbacks the repro to the sync for that "spin" echo> i've just started using it, all i wish now is for the remote control so i could get varispeed, now that would be awesome. i can't complain, the 3.75 speed is just lovely for that dubby echo,

anyone try this unit for anything besides echo? i was considering using it to mixdown, but i don't know if its good for that. any opinions? thanks

jpmorris
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by jpmorris » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:05 am

yellodoggmusic wrote:anyone try this unit for anything besides echo? i was considering using it to mixdown, but i don't know if its good for that.
It's 1973 technology, but - assuming it is still in good condition - it is supposed to be a pretty good deck. If I had one, I'd certainly try it for a 15ips mixdown.

Aquaman
gettin' sounds

Post by Aquaman » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:40 am

I've got a 1960's-era TEAC reel to reel set up for ping ponging, a nakamichi cassette deck for lo-fi tape saturation, a Massey TD5 in the box (awesome), a SoundToys Echoboy plug (also awesome), and a custom-built Space Echo combinator for work in Reason. (Let me know if you're interested, I can shoot you a link to it).

The Massey plug is absolutely golden. I've pushed and pulled it beyond what any plug should do, and it always sounds great. A couple of the analog-heads I work with have asked for it by name. High praise.

And fer chrissakes, resize your avatars, people!

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:09 pm

I've been having good luck with the Blue Tubes Oilcan Delay plug. It's very nice sounding but not quite as good as my Line 6 Echo Park stompbox.