Little keyboard/controllers?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Little keyboard/controllers?

Post by CraigS63 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:15 pm

Anyone have one of these, like the M Audios, for example http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Axiom25-main.html
I've even started seeing stuff like this at B*st Buy.

I am no keyboardist, but looking to ditch my Yamaha DX27 and eventually my Korg M1 for the most part for software based synths (just picked up Sonar 6 PE, right before 7 came out...). 2 octaves is probably one more than I would ever need. I like the idea of having drum pads and a bunch of knobs like the M-audio Axiom. Although the thought of a keyboard with no built in sounds is still a little weird to me.

channelcat
takin' a dinner break

Post by channelcat » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:58 am

I picked up an Axiom 25 about a year ago, and am really happy with it. I wanted something small and convenient to control the NI Komplete package. I have it on a Quik-Lok rolling remote stand next to my desk, which houses my MPD16 (I like it better for Battery) and Kore controllers. One thing's for sure, I've been using Komplete a lot more since I got it.

Stu
Fearless Vampire Killer

http://www.stereophonicstudios.com

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:05 am

I've heard better things about the Eridol stuff than the M-audio, but the Axiom does seem to be the Maudio line that people like.

Never had any problems with an oxygen 8.

-marc alan goodman

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:09 am

I'm actually curious about personal experiences with some of the small keyboard controllers as well. I've been thinking about picking one up. I currently have a 48 key controller which is nice, but it takes up too much desk space. I want something small. I like that they are putting pads and even X/Y controllers on them now. Cool stuff.

Don't worry about whether or not it has built in sounds. You can hook it up to any sampler, sound module, synth, or more importantly your computer. Modularization. Yay. :)

dubphaser
pushin' record

Post by dubphaser » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:39 am

+1 for the Axiom 25. I use it with Reaper and a bunch of vsts, mostly monosynth stuff. I wanted something small to carry around with a laptop and this really fit the bill. The keys and trigger pads feel really good to me. The key board itself is nice and chunky but not very heavy. The knobs, buttons and pads are all completely assignable. So like...um..you can program a pad to open a filter as you apply pressure to it, or change the speed of an lfo or anything really. I only wish they had squeezed more knobs onto it.

Jewish Guitar Hero
ass engineer

Post by Jewish Guitar Hero » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:18 pm

I recently got an Oxygen 25 key midi controller, downsized from an Ozonic. I'm very happy with it - more expensive models are maybe a bit slimmer, but it's is really cheap and still quite portable.

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:02 pm

my brother has an oxygen 8... i haven't played on it much, but it was really fun and easy use, although midi controllers as a whole don't tend to be rocket science.

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:15 pm

how bout just a really small synth instead like say the microkorg?
that way you get a vocoder, all the microkorg soundsand have a nice small keyboard midi controller? or am i way way off and these little controllers have other cool features I am unaware of?
me make purty musick!

jc_terrones
gettin' sounds

Post by jc_terrones » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:56 pm

The Novation X-Station 25 is really cool. I just picked one up and it has it's own built in synth engine. They have a cheaper version called the Xiosynth with less features, yet it still has it's own synth engine. It got a pretty good review in a recent TapeOp mag.

This thing has some crazy sounding preset patches and I usually hate factory presets on equipment.

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:59 pm

I've had the Korg MicroKontrol for a couple years.

The stiff keyboard and drum pad action is not my favorite. 3 octaves plus all the knobs and sliders is great. Nice software package. Fits Southwest Air's carryon limit. Mini-keys, which I don't mind.

btw, for drum pads I prefer the computer's qwerty keyboard, using midiox and midiyoke freeware to hook it up and asio4all drivers. Less latency than a usb controller, though no velocity sensitivity.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:15 am

I picked up an Axiom 25 over the weekend, the keys and pads seem to be pretty good quality. I guess I have some reading to do, I didn't think I'd still need to know about '2's complement' math after getting my Comp Sci degree (even working as a programmer).

I will leave most of my Sam Ash rant for another day. There is a fine line between hovering over you (G.C.) and leaving the store half-staffed (Sam Ash seemed to be in this category).