Best Reverb Pedal

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

rogercollege
ass engineer

Best Reverb Pedal

Post by rogercollege » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:22 am

any thoughts on a nice reverb pedal for guitar? i'm looking for something that isn't noisy or "cheesy." something warm, smooth, and vintage (with a few options) i've looked at Holy Grails, Boss, Line 6, Digitech.... what's out there that i don't know about? or what are your thoughts on any of the above?

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:34 am

I've tried several reverb pedals, and I always come back to the Holy Grail pedal. The Lin6 6 Verbzilla is very flexible if you like to experiment, but for straight up hall and spring sounds the Holy Grail wins.

There is also the EBS DynaVerb and TC Electronics Nova Reverb are intriguing, but there are $250 a piece.

Then there is the T-Rex Room-Mate and AMT Hall Reverb, which are valve reverb pedals, but they run over $300.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:46 am

I think the Verbzilla is better than the Holy Grail, personally. I've got this old all-tube Epiphone amp with this amazing, lush reverb. But it's a design flaw of the circuit that there's a lot of hum with the reverb engaged. It kind of drives me nuts, so I decided to try to dial in the precise sound on the Verbzilla...I used its tube reverb sim...and honestly, after fiddling with the tone and decay controls, I absolutely cannot tell the difference AT ALL. I love the thing.

I have nothing against the Holy Grail, but I sold it once I heard the Verbzilla.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:54 am

Does that Verbzilla have a "wet only" option? My understanding is that the Holy Grail does not, which makes it less appealing to me for reamping and such. Thanks

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:57 am

I have the Holy Grail and a Yamaha Magicstomp. The Yamaha allegedly has the same effects as the SPX90. It's reverbs are nice. But, I still prefer the Holy Grail (especially when I finally figured out to just power it with the adapter it comes with). I can't say exactly why, it's hugely subjective. Between those two pedals, the HG just seems to bring a little more life to the guitar and the reverb sound.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:25 am

honestly I gave up on reverb pedals a while ago. The only thing I ever had that sounded good and wasnt noisy was an old Gibson spring verb. Solid state but with a few transformers. It had 2 captive cords built in for the outputs. It sounded big without sounding boingy. It even worked on bass! Only cost me $50 used.
Like all irreplaceble gear it was stolen. Ever see a gibson reverb painted red that says "rover" on the front?
If I had to get a pedal I'd go with the TC. I ahve always loved their stuff, and I think you can count on them not to cheap out on the AD/DA conversion.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

pedrohead
steve albini likes it

Post by pedrohead » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:43 am

Tatertot wrote:Does that Verbzilla have a "wet only" option? My understanding is that the Holy Grail does not, which makes it less appealing to me for reamping and such. Thanks
I don't know about the "Holy" Grail, but I have the "Holier" Grail, and it does have a "Wet/Dry" knob, so you can set it however you want.

I run vox and keys and all kinds of stuff out to it all the time.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:08 pm

I picked up a Holy Satin pedal recently after someone brought one in on a session. It's been getting a lot of use. I haven't put it side-by-side against a Holy Grail, but hearing this thing flat-out was more exciting to me than any Holy Grail I've ever heard. It could entirely be context, as they probably have the same effects chips or whatever, but I really like the Stain. It has a room setting and hall setting and there are some adjustable parameters that are quite useful. The reverbs to me are very "platey," and not so much spring-sounding. They remind me a lot of the guitar verbs on Zep records.

It's also got a kind of cool tremolo in it and it's around $100.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:40 pm

pedrohead wrote:
Tatertot wrote:Does that Verbzilla have a "wet only" option? My understanding is that the Holy Grail does not, which makes it less appealing to me for reamping and such. Thanks
I don't know about the "Holy" Grail, but I have the "Holier" Grail, and it does have a "Wet/Dry" knob, so you can set it however you want.

I run vox and keys and all kinds of stuff out to it all the time.
yeah same here. like the holier grail alot for that kind of stuff as well as guitar.

ndstgmoe
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ndstgmoe » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:48 pm

cgarges wrote:I picked up a Holy Satin pedal recently after someone brought one in on a session. It's been getting a lot of use. I haven't put it side-by-side against a Holy Grail, but hearing this thing flat-out was more exciting to me than any Holy Grail I've ever heard. It could entirely be context, as they probably have the same effects chips or whatever, but I really like the Stain. It has a room setting and hall setting and there are some adjustable parameters that are quite useful. The reverbs to me are very "platey," and not so much spring-sounding. They remind me a lot of the guitar verbs on Zep records.

It's also got a kind of cool tremolo in it and it's around $100.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I just nabbed a Holy Stain from Craigslist for 60 bucks. It's amazing. The pitch function kinda sucks, but the rest of it is way too much fun to play with. And I believe you can turn the mix all the way up and get only the verb. Plus, the distortion's nothing to scoff at.

jaguarsg
pushin' record

Post by jaguarsg » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:50 pm

the verbzilla is easily the most flexible, but for some reason those old Boss RV-3s really seem to blend well.

wardshorsehead
buyin' gear

Post by wardshorsehead » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:37 am

http://www.vanamps.com/solemate.htm

next best thing (maybe better) to an old Fender tank, recapped and retubed.

Small and great sounding, this is on my short list for 2008.