"happy" accidents

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Drew's Analog Planet
gettin' sounds

Re: The Mysterious Track 16, part 2

Post by Drew's Analog Planet » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:53 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Drewcifer wrote: The song is called "Dead in The Grass". The Artist is Anastasia Screamed and the LP is called "Moontime"

Here it is on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Moontime-Anastasi ... B00000AOWK

There may be a site where you can hear it, but I don't have time at the moment to go searching. Good luck.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=51275348

pretty neat.
My Space, of course! Thanx!

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:05 am

i just remembered something that i did recently... i was kind of fishing for this sort of thing, but it turned out a lot better than expected.

my band has a song that has a break in the middle where some looped guitar atmospherics play for a few seconds and the main guitar part comes back in. well, i took the guitar track, bounced it down to an .aiff file, threw it on my ipod, and broadcast it on loop via an FM transmitter. I had a portable radio with a cable going from the headphone jack back into my laptop, so i could catch the sound with a bit of real fm static on it. for variation, i was moving the antenna around, trying to get more static during the rest and less during the playing. after a couple of tries, i caught a bit of a radio dj saying "it was all supposed to be so simple," which really works in the song, as it's sort of a sad, sappy number.

Drew's Analog Planet
gettin' sounds

Post by Drew's Analog Planet » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:12 am

Tanya Donnely is also on that LP on a couple of tracks, right when she was leaving Throwing Muses and starting Belly. She liked the Nashville Studio so much, she did the debut Belly album there a few months later. She and I worked together well...she was good at taking direction from a producer and very professional in the studio. She said ideally she'd like to do the Belly LP there in Nashville with ME producing. That would have launched my career. Alas, her label had other ideas. Oh well. can't win 'em all. But it was a trippy record. So is Anastasia's first LP, "Laughing Down The Limehouse". We did that one here in Boston. All kinds of effed-up cool wierd shit happened during those sessions, too, like the time the speaker turned itself off (a story for another time). Anastsia was never huge in the US and they were way ahead of their time, being pre Nirvana "Never Mind", but they were huge in the UK, Germany, etc. If you want to hear some mind-bending cocophonous ear-candy, get either of their LPs or both. Heck, their London-based label gave me $15K per record budget, which was tiny at the time. Sure wish somebody'd give me $15 grand to do a record NOW! Recording not as big-bottomed as today's stuff, but it sounded right in the early '90s'. I have a couple blogs with cool stories and stuff. There's http://drewciferstonezone.com and http://www.drew-who.com
Rock on!

ps: Apparently you can download the whole LP on MP3 from Amazon, but the track titles are mixed up. The crazy "Blues" one with Thunder is mis-labelled "Dead Ants" and "15 Seconds or Five Days", one of the best tracks, is mis-labelled "Fall to Ceiling". The one with Tanya is "One Deep Breath". She also appeared on an 3-song "Single" that was released just before the LP, on a B-Side joining the band in a cover of the Beatles, "I Dig a Pony".

franklloydwrong
pluggin' in mics

Post by franklloydwrong » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:52 pm

i had a similar experience with tape, where we recorded over a jazz song (i have no idea who it was). we left the room when we dumped it into pro tools, and it went on too long, and a sax solo got into my song. it was in the perfect key, so i left it, but unfortunately i don't know who to credit it to. but it works well. you can find it at myspace.com/franklloydwrong it comes in at 4:53 in the song "In Layman's Terms", and you can't fast forward (at least i couldn't). the place and the way it comes in is exactly as it was on the tape, no moving or anything. if you listen, sorry about the bad singing.

Drew's Analog Planet
gettin' sounds

Post by Drew's Analog Planet » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:39 am

franklloydwrong wrote:i had a similar experience with tape, where we recorded over a jazz song (i have no idea who it was). we left the room when we dumped it into pro tools, and it went on too long, and a sax solo got into my song. it was in the perfect key, so i left it, but unfortunately i don't know who to credit it to. but it works well. you can find it at myspace.com/franklloydwrong it comes in at 4:53 in the song "In Layman's Terms", and you can't fast forward (at least i couldn't). the place and the way it comes in is exactly as it was on the tape, no moving or anything. if you listen, sorry about the bad singing.
Yeah, that's it. I love that stuff.

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by aitikin » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:54 pm

Actually, this happened earlier today. I record a lot of orchestra, wind band, choir, jazz, etc concerts. I was getting really pissed with one of the podium boxes that the conductors use so I took one of my K-Micro mics out and taped it to the bottom podium (the one that was on top was the noisy one) hoping not to get noticed, but yet to be able to get the conductor to realize that it was ridiculously bad. Turns out that it got a pretty warm representation of the entire orchestra, with the exception of the fact that the conductor has a minor tendency to stomp on the box. I was actually kinda hoping I would just get a lot of his pounding and be able to apply it to another recording at some point, but I might just use some of this in the mix.
"It's not a recording studio without a lava lamp"
~Mark Rubel

"Don't meddle in the affairs of a patent dragon, for thou art tasty and good with ketchup." ~ohcrapitssteve

nipsy
pushin' record

Post by nipsy » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:13 pm

my daughter............:0)
I hate those icon thingys'.....

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by aitikin » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:44 pm

nipsy wrote:my daughter............:0)
oh wow, just don't let her see this thread :wink:
"It's not a recording studio without a lava lamp"
~Mark Rubel

"Don't meddle in the affairs of a patent dragon, for thou art tasty and good with ketchup." ~ohcrapitssteve

Drew's Analog Planet
gettin' sounds

Post by Drew's Analog Planet » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:19 pm

whooops! :P

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:27 am

This is true, but maybe also in a different way; the other day I was laying down a brass-slide track with a resonator guitar while wearing headphones so that the song and the effects couldn't be heard in the room, just the reso through a gained-up Pro, Jr. with a Tubeworks pedal.

As I looked up from playing and before I turned off the recorder, I saw my daughter waiting patiently in the doorway: "That sounded weird , Daddy."

Her saying that was the best part of the track.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:39 pm

vvv wrote:
This is true, but maybe also in a different way; the other day I was laying down a brass-slide track with a resonator guitar while wearing headphones so that the song and the effects couldn't be heard in the room, just the reso through a gained-up Pro, Jr. with a Tubeworks pedal.

As I looked up from playing and before I turned off the recorder, I saw my daughter waiting patiently in the doorway: "That sounded weird , Daddy."

Her saying that was the best part of the track.
that's awesome! :D

closest i have (so far) is a recording where i played some acoustic guitar and my 2 1/2 yr old daughter walked into the room during the coda and started making seagull noises at me.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Fakiekid
takin' a dinner break

Post by Fakiekid » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:58 am

back in the day very early in my recording stages, my band were recording a 'single' and for the intro i wanted some noise, so i recorded 'Mastermind' (english folk will know ;) and he said, "in third place blah blah blah, in second place blah blah blah and in first place," BAH BAH BAH DAH song kicks in! me and the band couldn't believe it for weeks! obviously it sounded edited but it honestly was not at all!

song was Class of 2003 on this page

http://www.myspace.com/blackboxdiaries

still can't believe it now haha!