favorite technique for recording clean electric?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

SpencerBenjamin
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by SpencerBenjamin » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:08 am

http://www.musicmanamps.com/

Great page for the Music Man amp owner. I have a 210 sixty-five, as does a mate of mine. I love driving the tube amp section often with the pre fairly low, he loves to overdrive the solid state pre for some reason - it suits his sound I suppose.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:48 am

RefD wrote:*loves committing early and often to mic, instrument, effects, amp, EQ, compression and etcetera choices when recording*
Oh, I know, I know. I'm normally doing the same thing.

This month, though, I am taking a holiday from that mindset. I wrote a bunch of stuff on the DAW as a project (motivated by the RPM frenzy), and in the writing process I ended up with many dry DI guitar lines out of pure setting-up laziness. Now I am pleasantly surprised by the powers of Amplitube deployed very late in the mix assembly process. This isn't for strumming guitars; mostly I am using it for Edge/Andy Summers/Pretenders-type repetitive lead lines. For that kind of stuff, it's great fun to save the commitment ceremony until later on.

japmn
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by japmn » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:32 pm

lately i have been using the AT 2020 (cheep $100 MDC) about 3 inches in front of the grill of my 75 Quad Reverb (Bright switch off T:6, M:6, B:8, R:5)

It is bright, thick, and ringy and I like it.

Other than that I'd throw that shitty mic in the trash. They really suck.

Other fave is a Sennheiser 405B/417/418. Thost sound amazing on everything.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:26 pm

japmn wrote:Other fave is a Sennheiser 405B/417/418. Thost sound amazing on everything.
i just picked up a 405-S but know squat about it... is that the same thing? mine looks like a space lollipop.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

japmn
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by japmn » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:51 pm

Smitty wrote:
japmn wrote:Other fave is a Sennheiser 405B/417/418. Thost sound amazing on everything.
i just picked up a 405-S but know squat about it... is that the same thing? mine looks like a space lollipop.
405S is what I would have typed if I payed attention to what I was doing.
That is the mic I am talking about. Enjoy it! They are some of my favorites.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:55 pm

can you tell me a bit about it, or point me towards some info? i tried googling but couldn't find much concrete about it.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

japmn
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by japmn » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:04 pm

Smitty wrote:can you tell me a bit about it, or point me towards some info? i tried googling but couldn't find much concrete about it.
I don't know a lot about it. I first encountered that style of Sennheiser at Clava here in Chicago (it was the 419 I think). I think Djimbe posts here from time to time and he is a very knowlegable fellow. They are really nice in the mid range and are great for toms and overdriven guitar. We recorded some acoustic guitar with one of the 405's and a Sytek and it was perfect.
The same capsule was used on a lot of other configerations including a gooseneck version and an extendable (radio antenna) style. A friend of mine swears the saw a stereo version which would be the tits if he isn't full of it.

As far as getting specs for it... I am at a loss.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:53 pm

that's helpful, thanks! got mine for a song cause it looked like it might be worthwhile, so now i'm very glad i did.