what are your favorite acoustic guitar strings for recording

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

what are your favorite acoustic guitar strings for recording

Post by versuviusx » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:40 am

so what are your favorite acoustic guitar strings for recording? i think strings can really make a difference and i would love to know what everyone is using.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:01 pm

the D and G I hate how the low E and high E sound and the B string is just annoying.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:35 pm

I used to work at a music store and we adopted a very simple answer for "what are the best strings?' answer: NEW ONES.

helmuth
steve albini likes it

Post by helmuth » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:54 pm

I like these, but as all strings they're absolute shite new. A couple of months in they're peaking. :)

Bear's Gone Fission
gettin' sounds

Post by Bear's Gone Fission » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:57 pm

I used to like John Pearse but switched to D'Addario for availability and a bit of cost savings. Being able to put fresh strings on often enough is indeed a factor in good tone. The D'Addario's are at least good enough, so I'm happy.

Bear
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:48 pm

I went through the string thing when I first started getting more into acoustic guitars and it was exhaustive...man, was it exhaustive.

I found out the following:

It really, realy depends on the guitar, of course. Picking/strumming technique trumps strings more often than not. Never under estimate the pick. I like plain old non-coated, non-SP Martin strings over anything D'Addario makes in any shape or form. I pretty much hate phosphor bronze strings except on my rosewood Larrivee and even then I'm on the fence. Plain old Martin 80/20s are my best friends.

That about covers it.

heylow

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:57 pm

Elixir Polywebs. I like the light gauge (12-53) for my jumbo body, and the custom lights (11-52) for my small body.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:13 pm

my acoustics still like the John Pearse 80/20s.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:42 pm

I like the DR strings (Rare Phosphor Bronze) a lot.

The Elixirs are great for multiple performances/touring.

wardshorsehead
buyin' gear

Post by wardshorsehead » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:03 am

I agree with Heylow that different techniques make a much bigger difference, and that each guitar is different.

I generally don't like 80/20 anything - too bright and hashy to my ears.

On little guitars - like my Gibson '60's B-25 and Bourgeois VOM, I use John Pearse Phosphor Bronze lights, and swap out the .012 for a .013. In a pinch, I'll use the same gauges in a D'Addario Phosphor Bronze.

On my National Resos, I use D'Aquisto Tony Rice nickel strings in medium gauge, and I swap out the .013 for a .015 and the .017 for a .019. In a pinch, I'll use the D'Addario XL .013 - .056, swapping out the skinny tops.

I string up my '30s Kalamazoo archtop with extra-light nickel strings, like a set of 011s with a little heavier bass. I use Pearse nickels and make up the set myself.

I use either a Golden Gate thumbpick and Dunlop .022 nickel fingerpicks, or a thick D'Andrea Plec pick, 1.5mm thick, of the larger variety with three playable corners.

Like these:

If you try a bunch of strings out, keep the packaging so you know which ones you like, and why - or which ones suck.

I've tried every coated string on the market, and I wish they worked for me, as I eat through strings like crazy. I can't stand the way any of them sound or feel. The closest for me are the Cleartones, the most loathed are Elixers.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:23 am

maybe its just my weird sense of taste, but I cant stand Elixirs on anything. Which is too bad because for some reason they are the exact brand I always seem to get as gifts!
They seem to be too dull right out of the bag. That and they feel all...rolly? Like there are ball bearings inside? I used to be all about D'Addario strings. then I tried DR. they tend to reach one sound and stay at it for a longer while.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:23 pm

I've been shopping for a sub- US$1K acoustic, and am leaning toward the cheapest Martin with the laminated neck, but I always try to compare it to the similar level Taylor, but every new Taylor in the various local Banjo Marts has Elixers on it.

Makes me feel like I have to wash the snot off my hands.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:48 pm

JWL wrote:Elixir Polywebs. I like the light gauge (12-53) for my jumbo body, and the custom lights (11-52) for my small body.
+1 on the Polywebs.
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:36 pm

I like the Martin SP's. The SP+'s are the only coated acoustic strings I really dig. I tend to go for the uncoated SPs though.

I like D'addario Electric strings, but I hate their acoustic strings.

As far as 80/20 vs Phosphor Bronze is concerned:

80/20 is pretty damn bright when you first put them on, but they wear out fairly quickly and will become darker than Phosphor in a short time. Even when 80/20's are bright and new there's a certain "woodiness" in their tone that the Phosphor Bronze strings lack.

The Phosphor Bronze strings start off with a certain sound, and stay that way for a longer time. Even if you compare an older set of Phosphor strings that sounds darker than a new set of 80/20s there's a certain "metallic" character about their tone... at least to me ears.

I say gauge .012 is good. I wouldn't go any lower than .011. If you have to get .010s you either don't know how to play or your guitar is in desperate need of a setup.

kweis7
gettin' sounds

Post by kweis7 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:21 pm

wardshorsehead wrote:

I use either a Golden Gate thumbpick and Dunlop .022 nickel fingerpicks, or a thick D'Andrea Plec pick, 1.5mm thick, of the larger variety with three playable corners.

Like these:

These picks are great and really help. Highly recommended. Your technique has to be good in the first place though...

As for strings, when I track acoustic guitars I change the strings 48-72 hours before the session, play the guitar a bit each day before, and then the strings are new but broken in a bit and sound killer. Getting strings that are newish but broken in a bit has been key for me getting the sounds I like.
you know less than you think you know, I know I do