Studiomaster S.T.A.R. mixer - need help

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Studiomaster S.T.A.R. mixer - need help

Post by roygbiv » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:27 pm

Just picked one of these up a couple of days ago. Really cool form factor, if you like wierd old 'n odd things (as a narcissist, I have to). It sits half vertical/half horizontal (like some mid-70's synths).
http://www.studiomaster.com/hp9.html
(it's on the lower half of the web-page)

My problem: it has weird strange routing options and like ~50 insert points on the back. Through trial and error I've figured out some of it, but in the process of testing some of the send/returns options on the back blew out one of the onboard parametric EQ's. :(

So, I want to learn more about this thing in a less destructive way. Thus my plea here to ya'll. I really can't find any info on them on the Web, other than the above URL link, a reference to a Sound-on-Sound article in September 1993, and some guy who used one in a Jailhouse studio. Seriously.

Anyone know anything about these? Cons/pitfalls, how they compare to other Studiomaster/Soundcraft stuff, where to get a manual, schematics, etc. Anything?

thanks,

roy
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:52 pm

I own a Studiomaster series 5 16-8-2 mixer and love the damn thing. Its has so much character in it that does not exist in new gear. The studiomaster mixer that you show is a little weird, I think it has the same capabilites as the p7 series which is also considered good. Its way better that a mackie!

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Re: Studiomaster S.T.A.R. mixer - need help

Post by roygbiv » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:13 pm

Operator_tape:

I agree - some of the Studiomaster boards are very underrated (I've used an old 8X4 Studiomaster for > 20 years, its been a great board the whole time). Did you ever do any mods to your board? Swap out any of the chips, etc?

Maybe the Studiomasters are not as "fabulous" as some of the "Big Boy" boards from the same era, but let's face it, they were also cheaper then too. Yet they still have a lot of character that seems to be missing in a lot of modern boards.

Reminds me of the early '80s, when late '60's, post-CBS Fender Amps and Guitars were sneered at as being "ok, but not what you really want, and of course were thus much cheaper. Look at them now! Wish I'd bought more of them back then.

Anyway, thanks for the tip on the P7 series. I'm amazed I can't find anything on the STAR board at all. I've only seen one other on Evil bay a while ago, and that's it. I'll give this thread a few more bumps before giving up. If anybody knows anything, please let me know.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

I have been wanting to attempt doing a swap of the tl052 opamp chips in the board and maybe recapping the power supply, but I am not so DIY as I should be. I just have some basic knowledge on the subject. I have heard that some people changed the opamp to a burr-bown opamp on the pre-amps but heard no considerable difference. I would like to try and see for myself.

Here is a email from someone conserning the desk:

flexible, super-powerful EQs, direct outs on each channel, gritty, just a wonderful board for drums.

The phantom power mod...if the series 5 is like the 8-into-4, there's a bus wire (actually a steel rod) that runs past all the female XLRs. At each XLR, there are two 6.81k resistors, one going to pin 2 the other going to pin 3. These deliver the 48vdc to the XLRs from the bus rod when the global phantom switch is on. If you desolder these resistors from the XLR, and put a DPST (or DPDT) switch between the resistors and XLRs, you've got it. From there, it's just a little drilling to fit the switches. Pads are similarly done, just 3 resistors and a DPDT switch. Costs about $3-5 / channel to do either mod.

As for recapping, that's not difficult either. It's just a matter of identifying the electrolytic capacitors in the areas you want to recap, then replacing them with the same (or higher voltage / temp value) caps. Probably a few bucks or less per channel for the parts. Can be very time consuming proceedure though.

good luck, and let me know how it goes!

Ron

I don't have the series 5, but the 8-into-4, small format mixer. I don't know how much they have in common, but in my experience:

Yes, I swapped out the TL072 op amps for OPA2132's and for TLE2072 chips, and couldn't really tell any difference in the sound. I think the board is set up to not have that much gain that the improvement would be obvious.

I also swapped out a burned 072 with a 082 (only dual op-amp you can get at radio shack) in the effects return on the mixer (emergency repair). Again, no difference, and the 082 is supposed to be horrible.

Off hand, no it's not worth it at, neither the time, nor the effort. The mod I did that was totally worth it was putting pads on the 8 input channels. Much nicer now that I can use hot condensers on drums without distortion. The next mod I may do (but probably won't, I'm lazy) would be individual phantom power switches (very easy on my board). It's also not a biggie to put in EQ bypasses (I'd use a push-pull pot for this on my board as it's not a truly modular design), or maybe a low cut filter. That would be a great addition to the two swept mids.
Recapping the power supply wouldn't be a bad idea, and is easy / cheap to do. As for recapping on individual channels, if it needs to be done, it should be done (ffffffttttt noises, general maintenance of a 20+ year old board, etc.)

HTH, and good luck

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:44 pm

Hey Operator Tape

Thanks for the tips - really appreciate it. I may try some of those mods on my 8X4. How did you find info on your unit? So far I am striking out big time for info on my new/old Studiomaster STAR system (which sucks, as I think I need to do some repairs).

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:53 am

just typed in the name on google and searched for it. Check out gearslutz, prosoundweb, etc. For maybe any threads consirning your unit.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:09 pm

operator tape:
just typed in the name on google and searched for it. Check out gearslutz, prosoundweb, etc. For maybe any threads consirning your unit.
As far as Googling - I'm usually reasonably good with Google (use it a lot in my day job as a scientist) but I can't find hardly anything about the Studiomaster STAR board (except for other pleas for manuals, etc., which doesn't bode well for my quest).

Hence my plea here on the TOMB- so far you operator tape are the only kind soul who has even responded with any knowledge about this board (and thank you for that!)

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:12 pm

I suggest buying the online manual from Studiomaster, its well worth it. I bought it a couple of months ago, it was not expensive at all. Will give you all the info you need.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:33 pm

I tried writing Studiomaster, but they haven't responded. Is that where you got yours? Or did you use these guys (who haven't responded to me yet either):

http://www.studiomasterarchive.com

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:58 pm

they take a little while. I never got a resonse until I paid for my manual, they answered me in a couple of days with a pdf of the manual in my email address.