when will Pro Tools be compatible with Mac OS X 10.5 ?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cfMC
pushin' record

when will Pro Tools be compatible with Mac OS X 10.5 ?

Post by cfMC » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:15 am

does anybody in the know have any idea when Pro Tools will update their software such that it will be compatible with Mac Os X 10.5? Currently it seems it only works through version 10.4.

My old ibook G4 finally died so, my original Mbox/pro tools set up is now useless. I bought a new Macbook but, they are set up for 10.5 now. Just wondering how long I'll need to be on recording hiatus before Pro Tools syncs up with Apple here... I'd like to get the Mbox 2 Pro...

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:19 am

PTHD is now officially supported. It shouldn't be long.

Are you sure you can't install an older OS in the meantime?

cfMC
pushin' record

Post by cfMC » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:27 am

I haven't looked into installing the older OS, and probably won't. The last time I did that was during the changeover between OS 9 vs 10 and it was a real pain in the ass, I doubt it's any easier to do that between 10.4/10.5-- not what I'm trying to have to do at any rate. Plus I've seen a lot of people who bought new 10.5 machines trying to do this and there is a lot of consternation about it on the internets. Some of the newest 10.5 machines it seems you can't go back to 10.4 no matter what you try... think I need digi to just get it done for 10.5...

latest info on Digi site simply says 10.5 is not supported and nothing else-- no timeframe for resolution.

electrofloss
gettin' sounds

Post by electrofloss » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:52 am

It is my understanding that PTHD is only compatible with OSX10.5 on the newest Mac Pros - the 8-core ones.

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:59 am

As for going back in OS. You have to install 10.4 on a different hard drive then put it in machine.

I have a macbook with 10.5.1 and it works with PT 7.4cs2. I have not pushed it but it seems to work with my micro and a 003rack.

Hope this helps.

Mike

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:01 pm

What a bunch of krap.
It's called "Pro Tools"....... almost every other DAW program (for Mac) works fine under 10.5 except the "Industry Standard"?

It seems like Digidesign really lags in this area. No?

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:48 am

e.maynard wrote:What a bunch of krap.
It's called "Pro Tools"....... almost every other DAW program (for Mac) works fine under 10.5 except the "Industry Standard"?

It seems like Digidesign really lags in this area. No?
Well, they could release a glitchy quick fix like several other companies.

Would that be better?

Not in my book. In professional situations you want a system that is tested, supported and will definitely work. There are a few DAW companies that offer a full-feature set and essentially error free operation. They're worth the money.

Is PTHD worth its startup costs? That's another debate.

What audiogeek says is true. You can always install another OS on an external drive, and startup on that drive when you're working on audio. You can have an extremely streamlined system drive just for audio. This is not a bad thing.

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:09 am

fossiltooth wrote: Well, they could release a glitchy quick fix like several other companies.

Would that be better?
Stability of course.
But as far as other DAW's being glichy, which ones have you used that are unstable under 10.5?

Ableton Live 7.02 is solid.

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:58 am

We have Nuendo and DP on our macs. Neither work very well under 10.5. We took those macs back to 10.4.10 where the programs were working as well as they do.

We mainly run PT and use the others for composers etc that come in.

Mike

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:35 am

Right on.

Seems odd (especially for DP since it's Mac only).

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:08 am

You are also talking about a competitor to logic. Mac from what I understand has not gotten OS updates to companies like this in the same time frame that they used to when they counted on PT, DP, Cubase, Logic to have their updates done about the same time. Now they only care about garage band, Logic, Soundtrack pro and everyone else can deal with it later.

Just from what I have heard.

Mike

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:42 pm

I'm running the newest version of protools on a new iMac using 10.5. It works. It's not 100%, I get frequent CPU and buffer size related freezes regardless of how many tracks/plug-ins are running and what the buffer size is set at.
I wouldn't trust it to run a band tracking session but for overdubs and mixing it's doing fine.
I'm hoping digi gets it together soon.

cfMC
pushin' record

Post by cfMC » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:41 am

I'm sure Mac is just as much to blame as Digi. Mac & MSFT are equally lame in terms of forcing new OS down consumers throats unnecessarily, it's a $ grab pure and simple. certainly Mac would try to sabotage Digi's ability to stay on time here, since Digi competes with Garageband. But Digi needs to suck it up and beat Mac at their own game asap or they will lose my biz for sure.

always makes me puke when I have something working fine (like G4 ibook + original Mboz rig) and then find I can't even replicate it if I want to with a new system out only a couple years later.

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:45 am

Well, among others, Ableton Live, Metric Halo, Tracktion and DP (Look) are compatible.... so it's hard to blame Apple.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:25 am

To call the Mac OSX upgrades a money grab is silly... I can't speak to Windows, but, Apple has been providing pretty useful if not downright groundbreaking feature upgrades with every OS upgrade.

And, suggesting that you're somehow forced to adopt a new OS as soon as it comes out is pretty silly, too... CONSUMERS are the ones frothing at the mouth for new upgrades. PROFESSIONALS are the ones waiting for the consumers to figure out all the bugs and for the company to fix them. I happen to fall into both camps. Currently running 10.5 on the laptop that I'm typing this on and 10.4 on my studio computer.