Monitors under $100?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mattmiranda01
alignin' 24-trk

Monitors under $100?

Post by mattmiranda01 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:58 am

Can someone recommend a decent set of monitors for under 100 bucks?

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:07 am

No.

If you're seriously hurting, start with a decent set of headphones (AKG, Sony, etc.). It's not a completely adequate substitute, but it will get you started.

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:07 am

For under $100, you'll probably have better luck dumpster diving than buying something new. I'd buy a decent set of headphones, and try to mix around the problems that headphones are known to have with the stereo field and bass management.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:00 am

I have a nice pair of Yamaha bookshelf speakers that cost me $79 4 or 5 years ago at Best Buy. They are NS-5290 and sound very good. Not accurate like a true studio monitor, but good for an extra reference. Those and some reference headphones could work OK together.

xhavepatiencex
takin' a dinner break

Post by xhavepatiencex » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:12 am

If you can get a little more, these kits from parts express are not bad. I still have mine and use it as a reference they are kinda scooped, but I am sure most monitors in the low end price range are. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl ... er=300-642

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:25 am

Yamaha NS-6490 speakers. I love them for general listening through a few vintage receiver. Mine were a gift but I bought a pair of them for $99 for a friend last year. Definitely good to A/B mixes on, and definitely a set of speakers that you'll have for a long time, instead of a pair of crappy $100 monitors that you can't work on.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:01 pm

I'd keep an eye on evilbay. Maybe you can pick up some old tannoy, Krk, EVs or something. Everybody is either using something active, ot NS10s these days. SO there appear to be plenty of power amps and mid level monitors on the bay.
OTOH some guys swear by those crappy little radio shack things Optimus? Minimus? the metal enclosure guys.
or yeah, headphones.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

xSALx
pushin' record

Post by xSALx » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:06 pm

The question really should be: "Active or passive?"

If passive...

I have a pair of JBL Control 1 Plus Monitors as my backups for my pair of NHT Classic Three, by the way, never forget your console's stereo fader up when you turn on the power supply. :cry: Anyways, the JBLs are not the greatest monitors in the world, but they'll sound as good (IMO) as anything under $500. The only problem with these monitors is that they only go down to about 70hz.

Come on! they're like $50 at the very most on ebay.
"I'd rather her sound artificial [auto tune] than sound completely drunk." As said by the producer during a long pitch shifting session.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:52 pm

I use the control 10's as my alternates some time.
they have that JBL top end. kinda like the Sony treble, but not as harsh.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:03 am

The metal Optimus speakers from 5-10 years ago, with the 5" woofer, like here, or here may suit you, all well under US$50.00

I have the Pro77's and find them, and even smaller ones, surprisingly useful.

Image.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

madtho
steve albini likes it

Post by madtho » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:29 am

from budget $0 land...

I just stepped up from my 20 year old Bose Roomates (BOOOMY) to an old Technics receiver (SA-80) and Minimus 7's. It took 2-3 months to get the total bargain that I was looking for, and the combo cost $50 total (the receiver was shipped and the speakers came from a flea market). I really had no budget at all to do this right now (just bought a house), but I desperately wanted to change the monitoring situation. The receiver sounds wonderful, the speakers are surprising and well worth $15 (what I paid) to $50.

I ebay searched in a pretty tight radius to my house (to save or negate shipping heavy items), and checked flea markets/pawn shops.

Now I also have some nice old HH Scott speakers coming my way that will slide right into the array, and combined with the other 2 will give me a pretty good idea of what's going on. I have some pretty nice headphones, and I listen on a bunch of systems. It's a good place to start, I recommend it.

-mad
We wanted to play traditional jazz in the worst way...and we did!
-Dave Van Ronk

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:20 am

grab an old receiver from a thrift store and these...

http://www.musicgoround.com/gear/invent ... ?id=634254