Group Buy for Chinese Mics and Pres

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kojdogg
buyin' gear

Group Buy for Chinese Mics and Pres

Post by kojdogg » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:48 am

If this violates any rules, I sincerely apologize-- please moderate, move or delete as necessary.

I recently was a participant (not an organizer in any way and not a large scale participant-- I got two mics!) on a successful group buy started on a couple of other message boards (Home Recording and PSW) by a fine dude named Chance Pataki. Two succesful rounds have been conducted so far-- both for Chinese made FET, Tube and Ribbon mics that will likely look very familiar to most.

This current round will feature new mics of various types (including tube ribbons, phantom powered ribbons, etc.) and transformer based pres w/ eq "inspired" by 1073's. 1081's and 1084's.

The prices of the mics are fairly fixed, but the price of these pres will go down as more people particpate both in terms of the manufacturer's charge and the price of boat shipping.

Here's a couple of the relevant threads about these group buys on Home Recording:

The mic group buy thread (this is enormous and includes posts from several years back relating to the first group buy; you can skip to near the end):

http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=180964

The more recent preamp poll thread:

http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=258924

If you click on Chance's profile, you can get links to his website (where pics of some of the mics are posted under the "Products" link).

As I mentioned, the group buy thread is enormous, so I'll be happy to help answer any questions about this or refer you to someone who can. Again, I'm just a past participant in this and just agreed to help spread the word.

Another EDIT (thanks to "Tarnationsauce"):
"To help cut to the chase, hou have to email Chance with a specific email title.

email title: TnC GEAR
to: musicians.workshop AT gte.net

That is the only way to partake in the GB. He will put your email into a folder and do a mass email when the time comes."

EDIT: Fair warning, it does take a while to get your stuff which is the trade off. The prices are really cheap compared to comparable retail products, but you will likely have to wait at least several months or longer to get what you buy.
________
COLORADO MEDICAL MARIJUANA
Last edited by kojdogg on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

ned
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ned » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:07 am

thanks! i missed out on the last one. those pres look very cool.

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:15 pm

Are there any pics of these mics and some more info on the pres?

kojdogg
buyin' gear

Post by kojdogg » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:40 pm

yeah on chance's website: http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com/
go to the "microphones" and "mic preamps" pages. apparently specs are in for the '73 model, and will be sent by the factory for the '81 and '84 tomorrow
________
Motorcycle tires