Should I make the switch from Pro Tools LE to Logic Studio?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:19 pm

firesine wrote:
tdbajus wrote: I have used Logic for a long time, and I don't know why, as I find it to be the worst audio editor I have ever used. Try something as basic as looping a guitar part that you have recorded with 3 mikes a few times.
Groups?

If you put a bit of time and effort into learning how to use Logic you will realize that all these problems are in your head.

It's a great DAW, give it a chance. I recommend David Dvorin's books if you want to learn the many awesome features in a coherent way.
Well, it's not in my imagination, or in the imagination of the people i record with that when you have the arrange window set to only allow movement either up and down or left/right, and you option drag a clip onto another track that it doesn't line up because the autosnap feature "helpfully" moved a few milliseconds forward/backwards in time, making it out of sync.

Or it's not imagination, that when i cut the second chorus from a song, and try to cut it in after the first chorus, the wave files do not snap together tail-to-head, but either overlap or leaves a gap between them that is too small to see when you are zoomed out enough to see the entire chorus.

This is the whole reason there is a snap tool to begin with.

And this is an action that I have performed easily on every single DAW I have ever used over the course of the last 15 years. Some would say that it is THE EXPRESS PURPOSE FOR THE DAW. Never had a problem with it before I used Logic.

Never NOT had a problem trying to do it WITH Logic.

And really, when I'm trying to be creative and audition ideas, what I want to be doing is using the clumsy zoom interface to awkwardly zoom in and out of every edit.

And, yes, I have read the manual. As have the 3 other guys who use the work station. And I am, incidentally, conversant in OSX, LINUX, and Windows, so I feel confident if the software could edit well, I would have found it.

PS: Group 6 tracks of drums (OH_r, OH_l, SD, rack tom, floor tom, kick mikes on their own tracks). Cut out a section of audio. Copy it, paste it ahead of the first section, and either pull the head of one, or the tail of the other to extend the clip. Watch how the clips all extend to different lengths.

Is that some kind of feature?

firesine
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by firesine » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:18 pm

tdbajus wrote: PS: Group 6 tracks of drums (OH_r, OH_l, SD, rack tom, floor tom, kick mikes on their own tracks). Cut out a section of audio. Copy it, paste it ahead of the first section, and either pull the head of one, or the tail of the other to extend the clip. Watch how the clips all extend to different lengths.

Just did and it worked perfectly.

I agree, Logic doesn't have a shuffle feature, but I really haven't found that to be a problem because it can snap to the division or beat. It doesn't work that same way as PT because it was designed to work differently. Embrace it or move on but don't sit there and belittle the program just because you don't like it.
Mmm, lung butter.

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:57 pm

How come there is no demo of Logic on the Apple site? Ive used it a few times in the past (versions 5, 6 & 7), but would really like to give it a shot again and check out the updates... but alas, no demo.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:00 pm

it's funny how when you learn how to use software it works great, and when you don't bother learning it, it is easier to bash it on the interwebs.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:27 pm

tdbajus wrote: Or it's not imagination, that when i cut the second chorus from a song, and try to cut it in after the first chorus, the wave files do not snap together tail-to-head, but either overlap or leaves a gap between them that is too small to see when you are zoomed out enough to see the entire chorus.

This is the whole reason there is a snap tool to begin with.

And this is an action that I have performed easily on every single DAW I have ever used over the course of the last 15 years. Some would say that it is THE EXPRESS PURPOSE FOR THE DAW. Never had a problem with it before I used Logic.
this drove me nuts last night. hahah,

I heard this pop on a violin track on a session I hadn't worked on since before there was violin recorded.

it had been melodyne'd and reimported. but there was a clearly audible gap.. and you could even see it in the track. So I went to cut the heads & tails off and drag them together, and make a fade.

They would either be a hair of space inbetween them or they would overlap, and the fade would either disappear or appear in a useless fashion.

Sometimes my edits work great, and sometimes when I need to do something really close, this happens.

It's kind of annoying. That's why I have the random little logic quirks/bugs that piss you off thread!

So everyone can come together and hopefully find answers to such questions.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:21 pm

InvalidInk wrote:I heard on Logic you cannot assign a track to mono out unless you are using Apogee hardware. Any truth to this?
So... Is this ture?

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:34 pm

I submitted it as a bug report to Apple a couple of hours ago. I told them how I use the program and how this is an issue. I wonder if they'll get back to me.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:23 am

toaster3000 wrote:it's funny how when you learn how to use software it works great, and when you don't bother learning it, it is easier to bash it on the interwebs.

john
So I don't know how to drag a file? Should I RFTM?

Please note that I have been using Logic of more than 3 years. I've read the manuals for the last 3 versions. I have no problems performing similar tasks in software that I have never, ever used before, let alone one that i have own for 3 years.

I've been a beta tester of film compositing software for several years, employed by Discreet and Apple (as well as several others) to learn and test their software. That's how I got Logic to begin with- Apple gave it to me when they bought it.

So I know a lot of software. People pay me to learn their software, and help them improve it. And Like I said, this isn't my first DAW. It isn't even my 2nd DAW. It's, like, my 5th. Rilly. Fer shur.

And just saying that after 3 years of tearing my hair out, cursing at the computer, pouring the the manual, and i still have not found out how to edit properly? Maybe that means the interface could use some development.

firesine wrote:
tdbajus wrote: PS: Group 6 tracks of drums (OH_r, OH_l, SD, rack tom, floor tom, kick mikes on their own tracks). Cut out a section of audio. Copy it, paste it ahead of the first section, and either pull the head of one, or the tail of the other to extend the clip. Watch how the clips all extend to different lengths.

Just did and it worked perfectly..
I stand corrected. They must have fixed this on an update, and I had not noticed this. Too bad they didn't do it when I had to edit the living bejesus out of some drum tracks a few months ago.

Nice to know that when you make a cut on what look like a zero on the waveform, but after it makes the cut, it redraws the waveform so you find yourself smack dab in the middle of a peak.

But that is another issue.
firesine wrote:I agree, Logic doesn't have a shuffle feature, but I really haven't found that to be a problem because it can snap to the division or beat.
I think my whole point is that it doesn't snap reliably to the beat markers. It still doesn't, as of 3 days ago. You still have to zoom as far as logic will let you (since it isn't sample accurate) to double check every edit. Which takes times, and is a drag.
firesine wrote:
tdbajus wrote:It doesn't work that same way as PT because it was designed to work differently. Embrace it or move on but don't sit there and belittle the program just because you don't like it.
I believe that the WHOLE POINT to the thread was whether or not he should go with Logic. I just answered the question.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:04 pm

I concur with all tdjbaus has said.

Oscar Wilde