Kustom 200 and cabinet

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Automaton
audio school graduate

Kustom 200 and cabinet

Post by Automaton » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:53 am

I just bought a Kustom 200 head and 2x15 Kustom cabinet(not sure what model) for $330. Good deal? I heard that you need to get these things recapped and change the power cord to three prong, and this will reduce some of the noise greatly. It sounds really good except for ever-present background hiss.
You're so money and you don't even know it!

Lee Knight
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Lee Knight » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:49 pm

I don't know if it's a good deal or not but I do know they're bitchen amps. Give into the distortion and just crank it up. Bass is a wonderful thing through those. And, at least with the one I play through sometimes, the hiss doesn't come up with the volume?!?!? So turn it up!

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:00 am

Yep, definitely a lot of hiss with the Kustom 200. I had one with a 3x15 cab and loved the tone for bass and guitar - it's a solid amp. A re-cap would help. certainly worth the $300 you paid my man. multi-effects run super clean thru those also.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

Lee Knight
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Lee Knight » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:45 am

KennyLusk wrote:Yep, definitely a lot of hiss with the Kustom 200. I had one with a 3x15 cab and loved the tone for bass and guitar - it's a solid amp. A re-cap would help. certainly worth the $300 you paid my man. multi-effects run super clean thru those also.
I owned a 3-15 in the 70's... ROCK!!!

Automaton
audio school graduate

Post by Automaton » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:13 pm

I had a chance to turn it up and play. The hiss was definitely less noticeable . I've been playing guitar through it and it is really clean, way better than the clean on my Peavey Ultra 120.
You're so money and you don't even know it!