Charging enough to pay an ass eng and runner

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Charging enough to pay an ass eng and runner

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:35 pm

Anyone do this?

The times I've at least offered the runner to clients, they've been thankful.

Most 'real' studios pay their assistants $9 to $15 per hour and their runners $0 to $7 per hour.

That could potentially lead to another $22 per hour on top of the going studio rate-

I know you TapeOppers will be deadset against paying an assistant and runner and think they just simply work for free, but I wanted to throw this out there.

'Real' studios do it.

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:03 pm

Who would be against paying an assistant?
That said, I wish I could afford to pay an assistant for every session but I can't. If you figure anything out let me know. Having a quality assistant is often a luxury.
Runners are usually interns so I have no problem if they work free but they are most certainly not slaves and you have to take the time to make sure you give equal and fair value for their time.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:47 pm

If there is a demand for the service and your client base can support the additional charge - then there's you're answer.

If your general client base is balking at your current prices than I don't think the additional service of having a runner or assistant is going to be worth it to anyone. What are your typical recording budgets? Real studios, whatever your definition of that is, have a client base with budgets to support that kind of service. If you are working with a lot of bands with out label support or bands who are paying their own way, I can't imagine them wanting to lay out money they could use for duplication in order to have someone get them coffee.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Re: Charging enough to pay an ass eng and runner

Post by fossiltooth » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:21 pm

@?,*???&? wrote: I know you TapeOppers will be deadset against paying an assistant and runner and think they just simply work for free, but I wanted to throw this out there.
If you hate TapeOp so much, go post somewhere else.

Plenty of people who post on this board work at studios that employ paid assistants from time to time. Just because you're having trouble attracting clients that will pay you the rates you desire doesn't mean the entire business is doomed, and no one will ever hire assistants ever again.

I took a pay cut to assist for $10-$15/hr a little while ago, and it was worth it to me. I did it for about a year. Guess what? It was also worth it to the clients who booked time at that studio.

Assistant engineers are great. It's a hard job... in many ways, it's harder then engineering, but that's why it's called "paying your dues".

Occasionally I'll bring a session to studio that has an assistant engineer, or a general assistant (runner). I don't get enough clients that can afford enough time in these studios very often, but it's not because such clients don't exist. It's just that I don't get them at this point in my career. No big deal. I'm not going to pretend that the business is grimmer than it is, just so I can feel better about myself. I keep busy in my price bracket, and eventually I hope to move up to another price bracket. First, I've got to master the level I'm at right now. I suggest you do the same, Jeff.
Last edited by fossiltooth on Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:32 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:Anyone do this?

The times I've at least offered the runner to clients, they've been thankful.

Most 'real' studios pay their assistants $9 to $15 per hour and their runners $0 to $7 per hour.

That could potentially lead to another $22 per hour on top of the going studio rate-

I know you TapeOppers will be deadset against paying an assistant and runner and think they just simply work for free, but I wanted to throw this out there.

'Real' studios do it.

I'd pay an assistant if I had one, absolutely.

But I just handle all the sessions myself. With the exception of a 12-month stint around 2002 where I had an assistant, I've been doing it that way for 15 years.

But my guess is, if you're already straining at the edges of profitability and your local market will not bear an increase in studio rates, then your options are:
1) get an intern and give them college credit in lieu of pay. Don't tell me "real" studios don't do this, because I know better.
b) do the sessions yourself.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:28 pm

I don't use assistants. In the rare occasion I can I give them $10/hr for on the session clock time.. not time the client isn't paying for. The studio isn't paying the interns shit so I don't feel bad giving some cash to someone for helping me for time the client is paying for.

The thing is all the assistant is there to do is the shit we both know how to do, and if he's asking to be my assistant, it's nothing important. This means it's stuff I can do myself. Why have someone be a lapdog running around doing menial shit when I can do it myself, without treating another person like crap?

I'll gladly let people in on my sessions who I like(no pay here though) and talk to them and show them everything I'm doing, when I run into problems tell them what they could do in the situation to save time, or look good to a client. But NEVER am I going to make someone my bitch in the fashion some stressed engineers do when something isn't right.

For example, today I had a session where the MIDI line from the room to the control room was bad at the last minute, and I didn't have a cable long enough to run through the door. The hole/panel in the wall was just big enough

Instead of rushing someone into helping me with this and then getting pissed off because they're not clairvoyant enough to guess exactly what I'm thinking as I troubleshoot and come up with a solution on the fly, I found a funky way to get the MIDI cable running into the room then told them why I waited until the artists began talking to each other after they set up their instruments to take the 90 seconds out to do this.. and how they could prevent this nonsense. I'm the one getting paid, it's my name in the scheduling book, so why delegate all the bullshit problems to an underpaid lacky who gets no credit?

I know a ton of people who'll stand by the assistant career path and from the few sessions where I had a good experience and a good assistant, I see how it can be a good idea. I still feel guilty anytime I use them to do any real crap, though.

As for runners, the day a client asks about food and I say "we have an intern that can get it" instead of "so and so down the street delivers pretty quick" is the day I'm quitting audio and getting another job. People aren't fucking servants there at one's beck and call to get them whatever they want for nothing. I know they'll do it for no compensation because it's been beaten into their head that this is the path to becoming a rockstar engineer, but I still feel like it's taking advantage of someone's dreams at the lowest level.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:40 am

rwc wrote: I know they'll do it for no compensation because it's been beaten into their head that this is the path to becoming a rockstar engineer, but I still feel like it's taking advantage of someone's dreams at the lowest level.
I might be one of the few people who will agree with you on this.

..Then again, maybe we're both fools!

I believe people should always attach some value to what they do, whenever what they're doing resembles work! Things resemble work whenever others are counting on you a provide a valuable service in a professional manner and expect you to be accountable for your actions, results and decorum. Even if it's $5/hr, give your GA's something.

If you expect someone to reliably come to your studio more than a few hours a week, and take it seriously, I say they're not an intern. They're working. If they're not providing a valuable service, get rid of them or don't hire them to begin with. I think some studio owners use interns as an excuse to not properly screen applicants in the beginning. In any industry, hiring a really great staff is hard work and it takes time and dedication. But, a great staff is one of the things that can really make or break a business.

Some owners of really fancy studios will disagree with me. But that's OK. The smarter ones usually don't expect much of their interns, because deep down, they know that most people who are willing to work for free do so because they don't really offer anything of value to a session. Most often they're just 98-degree radiators warming up the room. If they reliably clean things and are good at answering phones, they do offer value. Give them a few bucks an hour.
Last edited by fossiltooth on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jess P
takin' a dinner break

Post by Jess P » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:45 am

rwc wrote:But NEVER am I going to make someone my bitch in the fashion some stressed engineers do when something isn't right.
I had an engineer whip a mic cable at me because I got the wrong track sheet. Then he ranted about how unprofessional the studio was. Funny, I had the same thought.

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:49 am

OT-- dwlb: love the new sig. One of my favorite lines from 'Help!'.

On Topic:

Jeff, I honestly doubt there's a studio in Michigan that would benefit from tacking on charges for assistants. I really don't see that type of client coming here these days.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:06 am

mikeyc wrote:OT-- dwlb: love the new sig. One of my favorite lines from 'Help!'.
Thanks! I just got the new DVD set for Xmas and my friends and I were cracking up afresh at all of Lennon's little abusive throwaways. 8)

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:46 am

dwlb wrote:
mikeyc wrote:OT-- dwlb: love the new sig. One of my favorite lines from 'Help!'.
Thanks! I just got the new DVD set for Xmas and my friends and I were cracking up afresh at all of Lennon's little abusive throwaways. 8)
i hate to admit it, but i didn't make the connection til it was just pointed out.

excellent qwoat.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:53 am

RefD wrote:
dwlb wrote:
i hate to admit it, but i didn't make the connection til it was just pointed out.

excellent qwoat.
Good Lord! So it famous is!

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:54 am

dwlb wrote:
Lots of great Lennon lines. My favorite is Ringo's: "Get sacrificed. I don't subscribe to your religion."

I can say no more.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:58 am

mikeyc wrote:
dwlb wrote:
Lots of great Lennon lines. My favorite is Ringo's: "Get sacrificed. I don't subscribe to your religion."

I can say no more.

Please, say no more.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:00 am

sad to say, my fave and most often quoted bit is:

"Red light..."

"Kahili..."

"Green light!"

"KAHILIIIII!!!"

:oops:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca