Favorite OH mics??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Favorite OH mics??

Post by metanoiastudios » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:43 am

I apologize in advance if this has already been posted somewhere in the forum, but I'm wondering what you guys consider to be some of your fave. mics for overheads? I am currently looking to add another pair to my locker mainly for this purpose. I have some M-Audio Pulsar's which sound pretty good, almost vintage sounding, and a pair of HM-1s which sound great for capturing cymbals and crashes and some of the kit...very clear, well defined, and natural top.

I'm looking to say in the <$600 range. Anything more than that I'll take into consideration. I just wouldn't be able to buy them now and I'm pretty impatient :).

Thanks!
http://www.paulojuarez.com
*Will trade design work for gear!*

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:18 am

<$600 for a pair, or <$600 each?

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:25 am

I have a pair of AT Pro 37r's that I like on OH. I get a nice even sound out of them. They should definitely be in your price range.

Jess P
takin' a dinner break

Post by Jess P » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:27 am

I really like my oktava mk012's. Great on accoustic instruments too.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:29 am

I also dig on the Oktavas. Audio-Technica AT4050 are suppose to be nice as overheads, you could probably get a pair used for $600.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Post by metanoiastudios » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:34 am

fossiltooth wrote:<$600 for a pair, or <$600 each?
Preferably for a pair. I'm hoping to buy some 414s in the near future, but right now I want to try something different. Mainly to record hard rock/metal bands, so I can go either for a natural open sound or a colored sound.

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Post by metanoiastudios » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:37 am

getreel wrote:I have a pair of AT Pro 37r's that I like on OH. I get a nice even sound out of them. They should definitely be in your price range.
Really? man, that's hella cheap. Sweet :-D I also heard that AT4050s as OHs sound pretty good. May consider those too.

I really like the sound of LDCs as overheads, rather than pencil-style condensers, but I only own the Pulsars, so I could be proven wrong.

jaguarsg
pushin' record

Post by jaguarsg » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:19 am

414s, i guess. i've never been thrilled with any overhead sound from C12As to Royers.

or maybe i just suck at OH miking. :oops:

thecheat
pushin' record

Post by thecheat » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:54 am

my personal favorites for most things are Oktava MKL 2500's picked mine up for 100 bucks each, Also, Shure KSMs are fantastic on overheads, the Oktavas just smooth things out a bit.
"It's like Tom Jones Gargling a Hammer."
http://www.alpacaranchrecording.com

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Post by metanoiastudios » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:58 am

thecheat wrote:my personal favorites for most things are Oktava MKL 2500's picked mine up for 100 bucks each, Also, Shure KSMs are fantastic on overheads, the Oktavas just smooth things out a bit.
Man...where'd you get the Oktavas for that price??

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:50 am

thecheat wrote: Shure KSMs are fantastic on overheads,
Maybe the LDC's, but my pair of KSM 141's at least in cardiod sound like cat poo on OH's. Maybe one in omni, but they sure sound harsh on crash cymbals. Although I did have success using a 141(car) as a spot mic on some Hats once. I'd recommend the Octavia's 012, or maybe some 4050's, but you really can?t go wrong with 414's. I have a pair but I often use only one in cardiod for overhead (bad room). You can pick up singles on EBay for around $500, and if you take good care of them you can sell them on EBay for around $500, so you really can?t lose.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:03 am

Yes, seriously, the Pro 37r's are pretty good sounding. They don't get too much of the room and the cymbals sound great. They call them the Pro 37 now but as I understand it, it's still the same mic. I picked mine up used a few years ago for like $165 for the pair. AT says they don't match them because the QC and tolerances are so good they all are basically matched. I use these in XY and I get good clean OH tracks almost every time. I have also had success in the past using Shure SM81s.

thecheat
pushin' record

Post by thecheat » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:20 am

a long time ago a friend of mine who worked for Guitar Center was moving to thailand. so he hooked me up with LOTS of stuff and just didnt care what his manager said about it, they're awesome, im thinking about sending them to Michael Joly but theres something so unique about the way they sound, i don't know if i want to lose it.

I have never used any of the small diaphragm SHURE condensers, except the SM81, which is ok but not stunning. so i can speak for it but the KSM 32s were detailed and clear. dug them but I've been doing alot of rock lately and the MKLs rule. sorry i didn't specify which KSM earlier.

Mk-012 in ORTF above a drummers head sound great too if youre looking for something a little more exact.

*edited cause i should have proofread*
Chris
"It's like Tom Jones Gargling a Hammer."
http://www.alpacaranchrecording.com

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:33 am

I don't mic drum kits very often, but believe it or not, a Rode NT1 3 feet in front of the kit, pointing between snare and bass drum sounds way better than it should. Just add in a little extra kick and snare shell, and I think you're good to go.
Last edited by kayagum on Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by musikman316 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:05 am

I use a pair of Rode NT-1s ORTF above the drummers head... funny how that adds two parts of the last two posts??? But I swear I'm not making it up :)

Anywho, yeah, NT-1s/ORTF/Head of a Drummer... that's the ticket for me.

Josh