I/O Comparison

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lollipoprecording
audio school

I/O Comparison

Post by lollipoprecording » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:17 pm

Hello everyone,

I am looking to get into the Pro Tools Hd world soon and need some info on converters. Does anyone know if the Digi 96 i/o and the 192 analog have the same converters in them? They have a pretty big price difference between the two. I hope the price reflects the converters rather then just the in/ out options.

I need some opinions, What are your thoughts on The Digi 192 analog vs. the Apogee 800.

Thanks!!!

ledogboy
pushin' record

Post by ledogboy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:28 pm

Definitely buy the 192 over the 96- they are very different quality-wise.

I can't comment on the Apogees, as I haven't tried them. I know some folks are unhappy with the Digi converters, but I have always been perfectly happy with them. If I was barfing money, I suppose I would look at Apogee, Lavry, et al. As I don't expect that to happen in this lifetime, I'm sticking with the Digi's.

Your best bet when making a decision like this is to try before you buy. You could rent some converters, find a studio that has both to A/B, or convince the local GC Pro dude that you just HAVE to shoot them out.
Ryan

kittonian
takin' a dinner break

Post by kittonian » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:51 am

If you want to go more high-end than the Digi 192's and still retain complete integration with PT|HD (i.e. delay compenstion, sample accurate to the 192, and port for port accurate) you should really consider the Lynx Aurora16 with the LT-HD card.

That 1U, no fan, setup is equivalent to (2) full populated 192's AND a digital 192. You get 16x16 analog and 16x16 aes/ebu digital simultaneously up to 192khz. You can connect one Aurora per HD card card (so if you have an HD|3 you can connect 3 Aurora16's, HD|2 = two Aurora16's, etc.).
Joshua Aaron
President/Chief Engineer
AudioLot/AudioLot Studios
Pro Audio Sales & Consulting
http://www.audiolot.com

Follow us on Facebook For Gear Specials & More