drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:06 pm

This thread is killing me. 2 pages on tape hiss samples!?! :shock:

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:10 pm

sampling is killing tape hiss!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:55 am

SpencerBenjamin wrote:
cjac9 wrote:...everything we've tracked sounds good but a bit anemic without that hiss underneath it.
Am I the only one who finds this odd?
no, you're not. I never thought of hiss as the aspect of analog recording that makes things more ballsy.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:52 am

cjac9 wrote:I've just talked to a studio I'm cutting drums at soon and they said they'd hook me up. I'm recording a project that is going for an Ethan Johns sound and everything we've tracked sounds good but a bit anemic without that hiss underneath it. I would love to work with tape but I don't have the money for the tape and musicians and studio time. We barely have the money for musicians and studio time so that's what we are spending it on.
Well, 'hiss' is a sound from tape, but it's not the 'sound of tape'. I am currently tracking a project and have been spending time at the end of each night to bounce sounds off the Studer I have here.

Dan Phelps
steve albini likes it

Post by Dan Phelps » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:16 pm

Well, I do think that some sort of subtle sound (i.e. tape hiss) can be like a distant back curtain for the music to happen in front of. Which can be nice.

But I can't imagine it making something that is already anemic sounding sound much better...just like anemic recordings with a sample of tape hiss in there.

Didn't The Books mention using a sample of the self-noise of a digital recorder (recorded in the desert) so that "silent" parts of some songs would have a weight to them?

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:16 am

man, why not just record the sound of the desert and stick that in the track down at like -50. that would be awesome.

cjac9
gettin' sounds

Post by cjac9 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:54 am

I know what I said sounds ridiculous but listen to "Heartbreaker" and try to imagine those songs with no "tape hiss/noise" underneath them. It would sound like it was recorded in a vaccum and very unnatural, at least to me.

And the recordings themselves don't sound anemic, they have depth. This hiss will just be more of a curtain for the quieter parts.

But anyway, I've already found someone to make the samples for me and if it gets the effect I want than good and if not I'll try something else.

nipsy
pushin' record

Post by nipsy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:23 pm

cjac9 wrote:I found someone to make the samples for me and if it gets the effect I want than good and if not I'll try something else.

like tracking to tape!?!
I hate those icon thingys'.....

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:42 pm

i like to record things to digital at like -68dbfs in 16 bit, then run those tracks out to my otari running at 7.5 ips, keeping the levels as low as possible, meters just barely moving.

TONE.

msmith
pushin' record

Post by msmith » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:28 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i like to record things to digital at like -68dbfs in 16 bit, then run those tracks out to my otari running at 7.5 ips, keeping the levels as low as possible, meters just barely moving.

TONE.
F That...I always run my 16 bit files to an Otari running at 30ips to give my hiss more of a "professional" and "competitive" feel...

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:58 am

i was wondering why your records sounded so much more legitimate than mine.