how to repair your TASCAM 122mkii speed issue

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

earl parameter
buyin' gear

how to repair your TASCAM 122mkii speed issue

Post by earl parameter » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:00 am

i finally took a second to try an idea i had to fix the speed issue that plagues the TASCAM 122mkii and it worked!

its just a quick write up to explain that you need to recap the PWM board. its fairly simple and it will only cost about a $1 in parts as opposed to the $80+ that tascam wants for a new motor.

http://thesquarewaveparade.com/tascam122.html

enjoy,
steven

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:32 pm

Cool article, thanks. I have a 238 that is said to often suffer that turbo speed fate, I bet the remedy is pretty similar.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:41 pm

Nice! :D

Now if only I had one....

And if only it was broken....

This is the kind of thinking which leads me into far too many projects, isn't it.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

arkestra
alignin' 24-trk

Post by arkestra » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:40 pm

boss. That rules. I cant wait to try that on my 328. I got a replacement motor from tascam, popped it in and. . . same damn problem which means its not the motor itself, must be the caps or a chip. the caps make sense tho. The motor looked exactly the same as the one I took out, same color caps and everything. Its probably been sitting in a warehouse for 20 years and the caps just went or something. Can caps go bad just by sitting? with no voltage across them?

earl parameter
buyin' gear

Post by earl parameter » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:55 pm

andy i don?t know if you should start hunting for one just so you can fix it : ) but if it has the speed issue then it would more then likely be this simple to fix, good luck

as far as i know yes the contents of electrolytic caps age even with periods of none use. maybe someone can confirm this?

i hope i was clear that this might not work for every situation. there is always the chance that there is something else wrong with the machines out there. but it will never hurt to recap the control board, so if the deck is worth saving then its worth trying. for a $1 in parts

i had someone ask about the SMD parts. you don't have to replace them with SMD, i didn't, i just left the legs a little longer and bent the ends just a little bit at a 90 degree angle so i could get the iron in there and use the surface tabs. also if you have trouble with desoldering these you can just take some flush wire cutters and snip the cans off leaving their legs for solder pads.

also this only takes about 30 mins or so if you have even a vague idea of what you are doing.

steven