Reverb plugin or SPX-90?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Silverjet89
alignin' 24-trk

Reverb plugin or SPX-90?

Post by Silverjet89 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:59 pm

I've got an Yamaha SPX-90II digital reverb but running Pro tools.Would it be better to use a reverb plugin or run the signal out to the SPX-90 and back in to the DAW?
The plugin is obviously much easier to use but are there advantages to using the SPX?

Thanks

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:41 pm

Try both and see what sounds best. I have Pro Tools M Powered and sometimes I use a plug in and sometimes I use a cheap lexicon box. I also find myself using this really cheap old digitech rack delay. Sometimes it just sounds better. You should definitely experiment.

Silverjet89
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Silverjet89 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:48 pm

They both sound good but different. I guess I was really wondering if there was any technical advantage of one over the other as far as working with PT.
If I use the SPX the signal has to go through to go through the converters again. The plugin doesn't

tubetapexfmr
steve albini likes it

Post by tubetapexfmr » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:13 pm

Is this a trick question? Next to modern convolution/emulation/infinitely tweakable reverb plug-ins that old Yamaha is basically a doorstop. The only practical use would be if you were using it FOR its limitations instead of in spite of them.

wardshorsehead
buyin' gear

Post by wardshorsehead » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:17 am

jessemesasavage wrote:Is this a trick question? Next to modern convolution/emulation/infinitely tweakable reverb plug-ins that old Yamaha is basically a doorstop. The only practical use would be if you were using it FOR its limitations instead of in spite of them.
whereas i prefer many hardware reverbs, even cheapish and old verbs, to plugins.

sometimes it is nice to run a couple of hardware verbs in series.

"convolution/emulation/infinitely tweakable" doesn't always (or even often) translate to characterful and good sounding to my ears.

*clutches sony dps r7 tightly*

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:05 am

jessemesasavage wrote:Is this a trick question? Next to modern convolution/emulation/infinitely tweakable reverb plug-ins that old Yamaha is basically a doorstop. The only practical use would be if you were using it FOR its limitations instead of in spite of them.
Kevin Shields (of My Bloody Valentine) used a lot of doorstops- very limited, boring reverb effects :D

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:33 am

If you look at it technically, there is no limit to the advantages of the plug in - especially recall. You open the session and bam everything is just how you left it.

However, I love hardware boxes because they sound different, they have limitations and as more and more people start using the same reverb plug ins, the old boxes are cheap and offer an alternative sound.

It really depends on the sound. If you find a sound in the Yamaha that works for the song, definitely use it! It's certainly worth the five minutes to patch up and run through some settings to see if anything works.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:52 am

T-rex wrote:It's certainly worth the five minutes to patch up and run through some settings to see if anything works.
amen!

*glances adoringly at "limited" DeltaLab Super Time-Line (2 second version), IPS-33B and pair of MIDIVERB II "doorstops" in effects rack*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:27 pm

RefD wrote:
T-rex wrote:It's certainly worth the five minutes to patch up and run through some settings to see if anything works.
amen!

*glances adoringly at "limited" DeltaLab Super Time-Line (2 second version), IPS-33B and pair of MIDIVERB II "doorstops" in effects rack*
My microlimiter and nanoverb doorstops are glowing adorably at me as I speak!
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Silverjet89
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Silverjet89 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:32 pm

Unfortunately I don't have any of the expensive convolution reverbs. Just the D-verb that came with my PT LE system. It sound pretty good unless you over do it. I'll probably sell the Yamaha and dig up another reverb plugin. It's just more convenient.

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:38 pm

how much for the Yamaha, then? :D
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:29 pm

Use both?

I use reverb in PT as well as a SPX 90 I, LXP-5, REV 7, and holier grail as well. Those doorstops are fun! However, i'm mixing out of the computer through a console so i don't have to worry as much about latency when you go out, through an effect, and go back in, which sounds like what you may be doing?

rydaken
pushin' record

Post by rydaken » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:45 pm

The spx 90 wont use up CPU on the LE system the same as a plugin will. If you're in the market for a new outboard box in the future, think about one that offers a spdif io for getting into and out of PTLE digitally.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:30 am

the old quadraverbs, SPX90's TC's etc tend to have a lot more params to tweak than the software verbs. Its pretty annoying actually. You have this great sounding VST reverb but it only gives you a couple sliders to fiddle with. Nothing under the hood like you had with those ugly black boxes from the ole days.
I used to really revel in making the SPX90 or the Quadraverb sound absurd. chaining together a pitch shift with modulation and a resonator in front of "plate". Using a midi controller to mess with the "note" of the resonator while it plays.
But then the software reverbs are the whole reason I went over to the DAW world. I was floored that software that cost less than a quarter of my hardware boxes was so clear and smooth souding. Well that and you arent stuck with the FX boxes converters when you use FX in the DAW.
But on the other, other hand, NOTHING I have found comes close to my effectron II. And thats a silly simple delay.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:50 am

not even another DeltaLab product? :)