Uses for cheap guitars

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JefffM
alignin' 24-trk

Post by JefffM » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:26 am

SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ wrote:
RefD wrote:it's a sort of 12-string minus the lower octave sound and can be shimmery in the right setting without sounding folk rock.
Sounds very cool. I could probably put that to good use. I'll definitely be trying it when I have the extra cash for a new set of strings. Any particular gauge work better for this special tuning?
Just have a look at a 12 string set and pick out the highest string of each pair (of course, the top e and top be will be the same).

dirtdog
alignin' 24-trk

Post by dirtdog » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:07 am

Seconded on the Nashville tuning.

Also, next time you think about smashing a cheap guitar on stage think also about maybe giving it to a younger cousin or nephew or any kid who can't afford a guitar. Give him our Harmony with insane action and teach him a few chords or how to play I Can't Explain or something. If he can make it through that on a real cheap guitar he'll appreciate his first Mexican Fender that much more.

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:44 am

dirtdog wrote:Seconded on the Nashville tuning.
Give him our Harmony with insane action and teach him a few chords or how to play I Can't Explain or something. If he can make it through that on a real cheap guitar he'll appreciate his first Mexican Fender that much more.
Aha! The action on the Harmony wasn't bad actually. My first guitar which preceded the Harmony by maybe two years, is my Goya acoustic. It was second hand from my dad at the time, who had bought it second hand when he was in school a very long time ago (I'm 28 now- that guitar is probably 40 or 50 years old). hahah The strings on that guitar get to be about half an inch when you get closer to the body. That thing ripped my fingers apart, but I learned to play on it and every guitar I picked up after that one was a breeze.

----

I'll take a look at gauges for 12 string sets. I suppose I'll have to buy these individually for this project.

JefffM
alignin' 24-trk

Post by JefffM » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:38 am

SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ wrote: I'll take a look at gauges for 12 string sets. I suppose I'll have to buy these individually for this project.
You could just buy a 12 string set and use the other 6 strings to re-string your regular acoustic.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:31 pm

SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ wrote:
Andy Smash wrote:Some of those Harmony guitars, the ones with the microphonic pickups and the crappy pine bodies? ...damn, talk about some feedback. And hugely fat tone, when processed correctly...
How do I figure out what type of pickups are in it? I'm not sure of the type of wood used on the body, but it is very thin and lightweight. I wouldn't be surprised if it was pine. I only ever played it through a small 8" practice amp when I got it long ago (I think I was 15). I haven't tried it since then because i have other guitars I like more. I do love the feel of the neck on that Harmony though.
All the ones I've ever seen were gold, and had this mesh-like surface on the face of them. They're super-60's looking.

This guitar is kind of like mine, and the pickups look kind of like this.

http://www.vintagesilvertones.com/guita ... t_1477.jpg
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:53 pm

I'm checking out the Harmony database site but for the life of me I can't find my guitar in there. All the guitars on that site actually look very nice, especially the hollow bodies. On mine you can see the poles (silver with black casing) on my single coils. Maybe I'll take a pic and start a new thread. lol

rafspielman
pluggin' in mics

Post by rafspielman » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:25 pm

Nashville tuning on a nylon? Would that work?

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:09 pm

rafspielman wrote:Nashville tuning on a nylon? Would that work?
maybe.

just watch that neck and bridge as you tune up and stop if it looks/sounds like something bad is about to happen.

*is also curious*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca