Weird soundcard problem

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

hugheju
pluggin' in mics

Weird soundcard problem

Post by hugheju » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:18 am

Just the other day for some reason my computer stopped running the right side of audio into the computer. It plays back fine but only the left side can be heard or recorded when I run external sound into it. It's a gateway media center computer running XP, purchased new a year ago. I've tried reinstalling the driver, making sure it's not my cables, trying all the different audio inputs, everything that the gateway tech support emails suggested minus erasing everything (I don't have the backup for that right now). There has to be a simple explanation because everything looks like it's working right but there is only the left signal. I record in a no budget lo-fi manner and have no money to get my computer repaired, and being able to record stereo .wav file audio is vital. There is no problem with playback/listening to CDs or mp3 files, the problem happens only when I'm recording or listening to music from an external source lined into the computer. The soundcard is a SigmaTel that came with the computer, it's a surround sound capable card with 5 pins on the back and two on the front. Switching to different inputs does not solve the problem.
Record it before you forget it. You can always record it better later.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:36 am

Can you describe your signal chain ahead of the computer? And I'm not 100% clear on what your input configuration is. Does "surround capable" apply to your inputs? Lastly, the "pins" you described, are these just the female mini-plug jacks on the box?
Prog out with your cog out.

hugheju
pluggin' in mics

Post by hugheju » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:28 pm

The input is just a standard stereo 1/8" mini plug, what the computer came with. I've tried different cables, different sound sources, but it's the same problem every time. By "pins" i mean the female mini-plugs. I don't use surround sound, but I think that's what the sound card is designed for. It's as if the balance is set all the way to the right like on a home stereo, but the audio volume controls show that the balance for every input and output is set to the center. Searching the web I found a lot of people having weird issues with this brand of soundcard

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:02 pm

Sounds like you lost one side on the inputs to me. Those onboard cards probably represent about $15 in replacement cost. Here's something you might want to look at as a low-cost alternative:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/A ... -main.html
Last I checked, they're about $100us.
Prog out with your cog out.

hugheju
pluggin' in mics

Post by hugheju » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:24 pm

I can't afford one of those right now, could I maybe get away with one of these?
http://www.qualitycables.com/productdet ... C637%2C136
or would it be better to replace the internal card with the same kind? Eventually I'd like to get a better i/o method but it's going to be a while.

hugheju
pluggin' in mics

Post by hugheju » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:01 pm

I lucked out, my new roommate has an alesis io2
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--ALEIO2
it does not have the stereo balance problem going in through the usb port. Thanks for the help diagnosing the problem