Studio Projects B-3

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Studio Projects B-3

Post by metanoiastudios » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:56 am

So I got an SP-3 on ebay not too long ago. It was UBER cheap ($80 bucks I think), brand new, so I knew I had to get it, plus I needed another multi-pattern mic besides my GT-57. Anyway, for some reason I always leave this mic behind when I'm on my way to a session, but I'm eager to try it out on the next one.

I was wondering what you guys thought of it. What you have had success using it on, and what you like the most about it.

Thanks!
http://www.paulojuarez.com
*Will trade design work for gear!*

JustinHedrick
steve albini likes it

Post by JustinHedrick » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:41 am

I have the B1, which I believe is the single-pattern version of that mic. It is bright, but not overly bright. I've used it as an overhead (it was almost too bright for that) and acoustic guitar (worked well). I also liked it on floor tom. not so much on my voice, but your voice might be nicer than mine.
another metal guitar tip is to put a fan in front of you while you play, so it blows your stupid long hair around like the solo is BLOWING YOU AWAY because you're a fucking tool.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:50 am

I just sold mine. The only thing I ever liked it on was as an omni room mic for drums, where it often sounded great. I disliked the high-end on pretty much everything else.

-ryan
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Post by metanoiastudios » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:04 am

JustinHedrick wrote:I have the B1, which I believe is the single-pattern version of that mic. It is bright, but not overly bright. I've used it as an overhead (it was almost too bright for that) and acoustic guitar (worked well). I also liked it on floor tom. not so much on my voice, but your voice might be nicer than mine.
Well crap. I normally prefer "darker" mics for my voice, but who knows, maybe it'll work out. I wanna know what the hype is about the "german-sound", as I heard this mic sounds kinda like that.

Question: since you've used it on acoustic guitars, is this the only mic you use or do you normally use a stereo pair? Is there anything wrong with using only 1 mic and doubling the signal? I've always done stereo pairs for this, so I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on it.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:34 am

can't comment on the B3 but the T3 is a GREAT mic..if the B3 is is 75% less good than the T3 it would still be a good mic..

PeterSawatzky
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by PeterSawatzky » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:35 am

metanoiastudios wrote:Question: since you've used it on acoustic guitars, is this the only mic you use or do you normally use a stereo pair? Is there anything wrong with using only 1 mic and doubling the signal? I've always done stereo pairs for this, so I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on it.
Not sure what you're getting at here, but there's nothing wrong with a mono acoustic guitar. Just aim it at the 12th fret 1-2 feet away. I suppose you could double-track for more "width".

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Post by metanoiastudios » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:56 am

PeterSawatzky wrote:
metanoiastudios wrote:Question: since you've used it on acoustic guitars, is this the only mic you use or do you normally use a stereo pair? Is there anything wrong with using only 1 mic and doubling the signal? I've always done stereo pairs for this, so I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on it.
Not sure what you're getting at here, but there's nothing wrong with a mono acoustic guitar. Just aim it at the 12th fret 1-2 feet away. I suppose you could double-track for more "width".
Yeah that's what I was wondering. I don't hear a lot of mono acoustic guitar recordings, so I didn't know if this was an unpopular technique or what.