Logic 8: song length limitations?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Logic 8: song length limitations?

Post by Fieryjack » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:34 pm

Hi: I am doing a remote recording gig tomorrow which will be a 3 hour, non-stop performance. There will be no time for re-calibrating if I don't get it right the first time when I hit 'record."

I seem to recall in Logic 6 or 7 that you had to set a 'maximum song length' but for the life of me, I can't find this in Logic 8--is this because it will run as long as your HD allows? My nightmare scenario would be seeing it stop at about 30 minutes into it and having to set up a new song, etc. etc.

What other considerations for setting up Logic/Mac system for a long run (I will have an Alesis HD backup going as well...)?

Please help

Thanks

playonbrother
takin' a dinner break

Post by playonbrother » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:56 am

Hey Fieryjack,

Not sure if this going to help but I just multi tracked two nights down in NYC this past weekend. I used my Metric Halo hardware and software to record the shows but I am mixing in Logic 8. I'm actually importing the files right now and after doing some research into this subject, it seems the best way to approach this is to record (for you) or convert the files (for me) to CAF. Here is a link that might shed some light on things....

http://developer.apple.com/documentatio ... 9-BCGDADFA

Hope this helps or at least starts to help.

Al

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:51 am

Can anyone else help? Will I encounter a time limitation in a Logic 8 song when recording a large or long time duration? Is there any settings I have to adjust?

jc_terrones
gettin' sounds

Post by jc_terrones » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:52 pm

Before going to said session, why not try and record something simple for three hours, such as the radio?

playonbrother
takin' a dinner break

Post by playonbrother » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:00 pm

jc_terrones wrote:Before going to said session, why not try and record something simple for three hours, such as the radio?
That's exactly what I should have said. Well I just imported my shows into Logic, the longest set being a little over two hours long and I did not have to convert them to CAF. These shows were recorded at 48K 24 bit. I've never recorded live shows with Logic or Protools since Metric Halo's record panel section of their software was really written for live recording purposes. But with that said, I did run my gear the day before for 5 hours straight with 26 tracks record enabled to ensure I would be all set.

Hope it works out for you. Let us know how it goes as I've been curious as to how Logic would stand up in that environment.

Cheers,

Al

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:59 pm

FYI,

I got Apple on the phone and they removed the song length limitation in Logic 8. :)

There was apparently some MIDI limitation that caused users to have to set up maximum length in advance, but it is now gone--which is a good thing. Apple says Logic will record as long as you need it to, provided you have the HD space.

They recommend AIFF files as well FWIW

playonbrother
takin' a dinner break

Post by playonbrother » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:00 am

Fieryjack wrote:FYI,

I got Apple on the phone and they removed the song length limitation in Logic 8. :)

There was apparently some MIDI limitation that caused users to have to set up maximum length in advance, but it is now gone--which is a good thing. Apple says Logic will record as long as you need it to, provided you have the HD space.

They recommend AIFF files as well FWIW
Right on, thanks so much for checking into that and letting us know. I hadn't tried to record or mix any lengthy recordings since Logic 7 and that was a huge disappointment.

Hope your recording went well.

Later,

Al

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:24 pm

sometimes with logic 8 running on my old powerbook g4 with OSX 10,5,1
i will get an error sync audio to midi. It looks like the system crashes but when i finish the take the audio file is intact.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Re: Logic 8: song length limitations?

Post by fossiltooth » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:36 pm

Fieryjack wrote:There will be no time for re-calibrating if I don't get it right the first time when I hit 'record."
If this is true and this is actually a decent paying gig for which you will be compensated fairly, you should be recording to two systems simultaneously.

A single laptop with logic is not enough if you plan on doing remote recording with any regularity.

If you're not being paid enough to warrant the rental or purchase of a secondary system, the client won't get (and doesn't deserve) a failsafe live recording. It's that simple.

Sorry to be so blunt and J.R.-y about it.