DBX 386 as Preamp?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

acjetnut
pushin' record

DBX 386 as Preamp?

Post by acjetnut » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:56 am

I have been looking into the DBX 386 as a tube microphone preamp. It would interface to my Echo Audiofire12. Does anyone have any thoughts about how this thing sounds? I currently have some sytek preamps and an electro-harmonix tube pre.

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:31 am

as far as inexpensive pres go, you could do much worse. i dont know if it would really add much to your sytek and ehx though, unless you just need two more channels.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:33 am

Your Sytek's sound better. Way better.

I'm biased against the dbx Silver Series for reasons that are not entirely due to the sound of them. But still...

Your Sytek's sound better. If you simply MUST have a tube in your preamp, and you want more than just your EHX, you'll be spending a bit more dough than the dbx 386. The stuff from Hamptone would be a good place to start, unless your tech skills permit you to play with stuff like old Ampex or Revox tape machine electronics...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

acjetnut
pushin' record

Post by acjetnut » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:34 am

How do the DBX pre's stack up against the EHX? My studio is built to be portable, so if they are similar, a two-preamp rackmount wins out on a practical basis.

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:34 pm

the ehx is a true tube design. it uses tubes at the input and output stages, and feeds them the correct voltages.

the dbx only uses a tube in one stage of the amplification (i forget which right now) and probably only provides 12v or so to it.

it is more rackable though...

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:38 pm

I've used one and i never felt like it was imparting a good sort of "character" in most applications. I never liked the sounds I got out of it when I gained it up. The only reason I still have mine around is the digital IO. Useful for adding two pres to the SPDIF inputs on my 828.
Prog out with your cog out.