A Cool reverb trick

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:01 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i do. someone hook me up, it`s been over a decade....
wait, i thought we were talking about having sex with a mushroom.

never mind!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

japmn
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by japmn » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:32 pm

johnny7 wrote:Or for you tape folks using a (Real) room verb...

Run your source sound in at double speed, mic the room.
Then slow tape back down and VOILA you have lengthened your rooms decay.
My "echo chamber" sounds a bit like a well, but hey, it was fun!

Johnny7

ps. This is a fun thread
I do this with springs a lot and it is very cool.

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:40 pm

I'll take the shrooms and the reverse reverb!

I like the OP's idea, too. If I use this on my next recording is everybody gonna tease me?

TapeOpAndy
TapeOp Family
TapeOp Family

Post by TapeOpAndy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:24 am

japmn wrote:
johnny7 wrote:Or for you tape folks using a (Real) room verb...

Run your source sound in at double speed, mic the room.
Then slow tape back down and VOILA you have lengthened your rooms decay.
My "echo chamber" sounds a bit like a well, but hey, it was fun!

Johnny7

ps. This is a fun thread
I do this with springs a lot and it is very cool.
Awesome!!!! Both of these ideas are fantastic!!! Just tried it with my springs, and it's amazing. Thanks!!!!

TapeOpAndy
TapeOp Family
TapeOp Family

Post by TapeOpAndy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:54 am

logancircle wrote:
TapeOpAndy wrote:Yeah, but then take that printed reverb track, duplicate it, and pitch shift the copy back down an octave... or even two octaves.. and mix together.

Or better yet....
Was this mockery? Why?
As others have mentioned, I'm not one for mockery, but I am one for taking a great idea and springboarding off of it. And in fact, I have utilized the tricks I mentioned while mixing heavy metal. When you take a reverb generated by a source at twice normal pitch, and pitch down the reverb so it's now at normal pitch, it sounds "heavy" to me. And with the addition of your distortion idea... imagine the heaviness as the distortion gets pitched down!!!

Speaking of heavy...

For the past half year or so, I've been listening nonstop to Tides (myspace). Beautiful music.

Ayal from Reproductive Records (and the band 27) just gave me a Harvey Milk reissue to add to my collection of Harvey Milk (including some rare vinyl). Listening to it now. Incredible.

This past weekend, I tracked 3 songs with Clifford from ISIS with Dave, Mike, and Thos from Blacktail. We used no less than four amps simultaneously to get the guitar sounds, and at one point, we got the heaviest chugs from a miniature plastic Ampeg transistor amp (borrowed from Ayal) feeding my Carr Vincent 1x12 in parallel with my JCM800.

The snare drum sounded great with an insane amount of Roland SRV-2000 reverb on it. The SRV-2000, BTW, is a great reverb to pitch down after printing it with a pitched-up source. Its graininess sounds retro-futuristic (if that makes sense). Very cool effect. It's the first digital reverb I ever bought, and I learned the reversed-source re-reversed-reverb trick on it.

lawson
audio school graduate

Post by lawson » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:26 pm

Retro-futuristic = Modernism frozen in eulogy!

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:35 am

TapeOpAndy wrote:This past weekend, I tracked 3 songs with Clifford from ISIS with Dave, Mike, and Thos from Blacktail.
i swung by andy's and hung out for a half hour and it was all sounding AMAZING.

PretendMusic
audio school graduate

Re: A Cool reverb trick

Post by PretendMusic » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:40 pm

Myself, I've always referred to the "reverse it, add a ton of reverb, re-reverse it back" trick as "Pre-Verb", but, that's just me...

It also works to great effect, (if you'll excuse the pun), when you use a delay, instead of reverb. (Pre-Delay?)
You end up with a choppy "di-di-Di-DI-DELAY" effect, rather than the ghostly "rrrreeeevvvVVERB" effect that results from using a reverb...
Ya just need to remember to set it to a HUGE Room, with a Loooong Decay on the 'Verb. Or, set it for a lot of feedback (regeneration),
on the Delay, so you get enough echoes, where it trails off... That way, you're assured of a good amount of the swell-effect, when you re-reverse it back.

And, either way, it's a lot easier to do, these days, with a DAW! You can snip off just the pre-verb part, and move it around in time against
the original track, adjust the attack by automating a volume-swell, even paste in a couple more di-di's, if needed... And, some DAW programs
will allow you to reverse "In-Place". If not, you should load it into Sound Forge, (or WaveLab, or whatever you use as you Audio Editor app...)
and then, load it back into your DAW, when you're done processing it. (Or, I guess you could "bounce" it to a new track in your DAW, too.)

I've done this trick for the last 30-something years, since I would have to turn the reels around, on my TEAC A3340S... It's grrrRRRATE!!!
(Though, it can have the effect of scaring some people, sometimes!) :shock:

Plug-ins are my friends!
-C
"Religion Is The Most Malevolent And Persistent Of All Mind Viruses. We Should Get Rid Of It As Quick As We Can." -Arthur C. Clarke

PretendMusic... for the space in your mind.
http://myspace.com/chrisduffecy

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:56 pm

gotta love the year and half bump.

still waiting for those mushrooms.

PretendMusic
audio school graduate

Re: A Cool reverb trick

Post by PretendMusic » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:04 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Move to the hills of West Central Florida, man... Warm, foggy mornings and Cows!
-C

"Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream..." -J. Lennon
(FYI, We're just 3 miles from the Rainbow River, too!!!) :D
Last edited by PretendMusic on Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Religion Is The Most Malevolent And Persistent Of All Mind Viruses. We Should Get Rid Of It As Quick As We Can." -Arthur C. Clarke

PretendMusic... for the space in your mind.
http://myspace.com/chrisduffecy

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:56 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:gotta love the year and half bump.

It was my first time reading it. :wink:

Again, it's stuff like this that makes this board great!

crookedsound
gettin' sounds

Post by crookedsound » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:39 pm

I've done the 'preverb' trick before, but not to this degree. Have to try these ideas soon! Thanks!

Thenabi
pluggin' in mics

Post by Thenabi » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:01 pm

TapeOpAndy wrote:Yeah, but then take that printed reverb track, duplicate it, and pitch shift the copy back down an octave... or even two octaves.. and mix together.

Or better yet, time reverse the dry track to which you want to add the reverb. Then do all this. Then re-reverse the dry and wet tracks. And you will get the most heavy-metal sounding effects ever.

I love heavy metal.
:lol:

I'm not enough of a regular here to know if that was a joke but it made me laugh out loud!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:19 am

I still think of this as "The Mushrooming Reverb Thread."
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:52 pm

you can place one of those butt kicker vibrating things on a piano soundboard, with the sustain pedal depressed, mic the strings... and voila, instant piano verb!