Ableton Live - I've given this some thought

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

C_R_J
steve albini likes it

Post by C_R_J » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:32 pm

e.maynard wrote:The warp feature can be turned off in preferences.

There have been way too many tests confirming that (unwarped) Live audio is bit for bit identical to Logic, Sonar etc.
nice. i didnt know that.

i just recently switched to sonar for recording because of the audio issues. then they go and update it. i might just stick with what i was using beforehand now.
time is money and im wasting both...

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:46 pm

The User Interface and ease of of use is insanely easy. The audio quality is superb. I've been noodling with Logic 8 on some projects and listening back & forth between Live 7. No difference in quality at all. The new 64 bit engine is ?ber nice.

All in all - Thank you Ableton!!

stompforfuzz
gettin' sounds

Post by stompforfuzz » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:16 am

I tried turning off warping, but I can't find a global "off switch".

Is it under the warping tab in audio preferences? I tried setting it to "unwarped one shot wavs" Is that what y'all have been referring to? Still, tracks are showing up warpable. I use version 6 btw.

*shrug* I gotta be missing something.
tear out your heart and make them wear it around their neck so they'll understand

C_R_J
steve albini likes it

i

Post by C_R_J » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:21 am

i couldnt find it either. you can easily unwarp a song once it is in the program, but it would be nice to just turn it off. damn djs ;)

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:06 am

Ya... It'd be ideal if the Warp was off all of the time until you need it. It's a future to-do for Ableton since more and more folks are using it as their DAW.

What I do is click on a clip (then select all), and turn off warp.
Pretty easy actually. Once it's saved, it stays that way.

Soundmonkey
gettin' sounds

Post by Soundmonkey » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:27 pm

You can't just turn off the warp feature all together, but what you can do is set the default clip warp type to "off" in the clip defaults section of the preferences. Also, if you set it to "resample" and don't change the session tempo, it will play back unaltered.

Ableton created an info sheet about the audio engine in live 7 and what operations are sample accurate or not. it's here:

http://www.ableton.com/_common/download ... eet-en.pdf

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:09 pm

Hey..... Thanks for that info sheet link.
It's a great read.

stompforfuzz
gettin' sounds

Post by stompforfuzz » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:02 am

Wow, nice thanks...
tear out your heart and make them wear it around their neck so they'll understand

C_R_J
steve albini likes it

fuck

Post by C_R_J » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:33 am

fuck it. im sticking with ableton. fuck learning sonar. ;)

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:54 am

There really is something to be said for actually really working with a great program and not over thinking the hokey details.

I'm guilty of this too. Ableton live is so powerful it's nuts. We are all spoiled.

drissa
audio school graduate

Post by drissa » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:37 pm

Not sure how 'live' this Live thread still is, but...

I'd be interested to hear how people might be composing/recording with Live and avoiding the 'looped' feeling that it seems to encourage. I guess Ableton designed it to satisfy musicians who are working with loop-focussed material.

However, if I could feel happy about using the tools and general philosophy (including the Clip functions), yet stepping out of the looped/sample triggering feel, I think I'd work in Live most of the time. I agree that Live has the potential to feel more like an instrument, but it can also feel very much like a machine too...

C_R_J
steve albini likes it

i

Post by C_R_J » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:18 pm

i just treat it like any ole daw. i just make sure and take the warp off of every track. you can send a click wherever you want, so if you wanna match up 2 the bpms of the program its pretty easy. go crzy with it. itll do just about anything. and if you cant figure something out, ill help ya out. pm me.

drissa
audio school graduate

Post by drissa » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:28 am

Cheers CRJ. I've just shifted over here after years on the SOS forum, so its nice to have a warm welcome.

I guess its a bit of a contradiction - I like the simplicity and the way that Live organises things, but I'm concerned that it'll encourage me to be lazy and simply work with loops. Using it as more of a traditional DAW then seems to miss out on what makes it unique and I'm more comfortable in, say, Logic for this.

I like the idea of using both, but Live loses AU hosting in Rewire mode, which is disappointing. I do love how it handles software instruments though - being able to quickly map controls and automate stuff is great. For Dance producers and the DJ crowd, it must be a dream come true.

Will keep exploring.