2008 Gear Wish List

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

2008 Gear Wish List

Post by Sean Sullivan » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:35 am

I'm at my folks house and feeling a little under the weather, plus we're suppose to get 12 or more inches of snow, so I'm pretty much confined to my bedroom and thought I'd make a wish list of things I hope to add to my studio this year. I'm moving to a new space on Monday, which is very exciting, and hopefully I'll be able to make a little more money than I'm used to and put it back into the studio.

Vintech 273: For a long time I was pretty set on a Dual 72 because of the price, but I still think the 273 is probably the best value for an actual 1073 type preamp (around $1400 used). Plus, even having some simple built in EQ will probably be nice.

Universal Audio LA-610: I'm probably going to sell my M610 and get this, because I don't have any outboard compressors and I bet the combination sounds pretty money on vocals, or maybe squashing a room microphone.

Chandler Germanium: I had one for awhile, but I sold it to get a Focusrite ISA 428 with an A/D card (got a good deal, $1300). The Focusrite's converters really have improved the sound of my 002R, and the preamps are very useable on a lot of things, so I don't regret it but I defiantly want another because it sounded so good on electric guitars.

AEA R92: I think I'm actually going to be getting on of these in a couple days, listening to it on electric guitar and even on drums makes me go "that's the sound I'm looking for". Wes and Steve at AEA both suggested this microphone for my needs over the R84. However, if I find a good deal on a R84 I'll give that a try as well.

Soundelux U195: This is probably going to be my last purchase of the year, because there is a U87 at my new studio, but it's not mine and I'm sure I'm going to want something with a similar vibe for my own. For the money these just sound like amazing microphones.

Sage Bova Ball: Joel talks so highly of these, and I don't know anyone who has been disappointed by them, but the weak US dollar has prevented me buying one. Maybe when the value of the dollar increases and you can buy them new for $469 again I'll take the plunge.

Radial X-Amp: I really want to give the reamp thing a try, and this seems to be the best value.

Digidesign Velvet: It will be a long time before I have the space for a bunch of vintage keyboards, so Velvet seems like a good alternative. Sure, it's not the real thing, but it's the most convincing virtual instrument I've come across.

That's probably it for me. What do you have your eye on?
Last edited by Sean Sullivan on Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:04 pm

(1) Lunchbox w/ 2 512c's (or maybe biz's), 2 Purple Actions, 2 550b's (or maybe Purple Odd's cause they're cheaper and probably rule)

(2) Coles 4038

(3) 2 more 441's, or maybe some Oktava 012's for tom mics

(4) electric lap-steel guitar of some sort.

(5) Ampeg VT-22 amprifryer

(6) some sort of AD/DA converter upgrade

(7) Avenson STO-2's or maybe a Bova Ball (I really want a sweet omni mic or pair)

(8 ) Etc.

-Ryan

(the interesting thing would be to bring this back in Dec. and find out how close we all came)
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:08 pm

Distressor- i've been saving for one for a long time.

another 160 xt- I now have one, I would like a second

one of the hamptone kits- not sure which one though.. both?

mod my oktava 319 and 012's

racked pair of pm1000's

macbook

a scooter

doubt i get half that, but that is whats on top of my list.

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:19 pm

Lemme see -
* a new DAW - thinking Duo or Quad Core. my P4 machines are finally seeming a tiny bit long in the tooth and the jump in cpu power would finally be dramatic for not that much cost
* Empiral Labs Derr-esser - I'm in the need of a nice analog de-essing option - these modules similar to the de-esser in LilFreQ but with a lot more options should be made available in a month or so and look to be the ticket
* Burl Audio B2 Bomber ADC - I'm not planning on selling my Mytek ADC - but the Burl gives a really great option for some slight euphonic coloration or as an ADC you can clip and still have things sound decent.
* Vintage Design CL1mkII or possibly other comp - looking for another dynamics processor option - the CL1mkII definitely impressed me at AES 2007 - so hopefully in a demo in my studio it will do the same.
* 5-string fretless bass - so I can piss off the rest of the Tape Oppers with some fusiony wankin'

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:25 pm

? My own house with decent treated studio space and iso booth
? Digital Performer 6
? Lap Steel
? Theremin
? Bass Amp
? Finally have my Squawkbox modded

Jeff

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:42 pm

I've got a stack of broken things I wanna finally address...

fix tube Echoplex
fix Sears 5xl gtr amp
fix noisy eh 12ay7
get direct outs on the PM1000

also on list...
LR Baggs M1 Active Pickup (this thing is nice, HOT ac pickup)
3 pair headphones
Alphatrack? maybe not...

Very modest list, I'd love to kill some debt this year. Been shopping for eqs, compressors, Bryston or Pass Labs amp and a Crookwood or Avocet mastering console to up the mastering chain, but prob. won't happen... the Sontec reissue has me thinking though...

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:50 pm

ipressrecord wrote:? My own house with decent treated studio space and iso booth
i really need to just start saving for a house... really..

my list above, i'll probably just get another 160xt and some GOOD mic stands.. mine are shite.

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:57 pm

new space + new computer are definitely the two I'm really itching for.

A second set of monitors and a rack of Purple preamps + a couple API 560s, an MC77, and an LA3A. Maybe a pair of LA3As. Throw in a fancypants singin' mic for good measure.

oh. and some of those DB25 patchbays. For the pure decadence/sanity saving of it.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:58 pm

The Sage Bova Ball is also on my short list, but the US dollar is worth so little right now, I remember when I first heard about them they were $175 less than they are now.

I've been eyeing a Radial X-amp to give the whole reamp thing a try. Seems like a wise investment since I can't track everything live all the time. Being able to run Digidesign Velvet or Xpand! tracks through an old tube amplifier would be pretty sweet.

mangoose
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mangoose » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:58 pm

my modest list, hope i can get to everything, as payin off debt is #1. (just spent a bunch of money on replicating CDs)

-musician's ear plugs
-dp6
-sm7b

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:00 pm

Top of the list: Heil PR30 to go with my PR40. Maybe also get my MK219 oktavamodded.

Otherwise, I need to lay off the crack- I mean gear- pipe.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:04 pm

mangoose wrote:my modest list, hope i can get to everything, as payin off debt is #1. (just spent a bunch of money on replicating CDs)

-musician's ear plugs
-dp6
-sm7b
I really dig your band, hopefully you get a return on your new CD.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:05 pm

- Need a good LDC for vocals (not that im unhappy with 414) U87
- Millenia HV-3C
- A good upright Piano
- That would do it!
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:15 pm

Ryan Silva wrote: - A good upright Piano
Scored one off Craigslist in December... makes a huge impact with a real player... good luck!

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:39 pm

Speaking of upright pianos, how much does it cost to get one tuned? I see them in Nashville for free from time to time but I'm sure they usually need a little love.