What should I invest in next?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

5thString
studio intern

What should I invest in next?

Post by 5thString » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:19 am

Hello.

This is my first post here. I spent some time reading and learning already, and i posted the same question on other forums as well.

Oh and, thanks a thousand times for the awesome Tape Op magazine!! I * just * LOVE * it!!

Here's my gear (I am an absolute beginner!):

iMac 2.4Ghz
M-Audio Firewire Solo
M-Audio StudioPro 3
Shure sm81 + sm57 + vp64

I'm recording an acoustic guitar, a 4x12" fender bass amp, some harmonica, tambourine and simple percussions, and my voice.

So now that I'm getting serious about it, I am wondering what the next step would be. Let's say I am to spend $1000 to $1400 in some new gear, where should I start? New monitors? A "good" all-in-one audio interface such as the Fireface 400? New *good* mic preamps with a better A/D converters later on in mind?

I'm stuck just because I can't figure out the best action plan to reach excellency on a few years timeline. Can you please give me advices?

lyle76
takin' a dinner break

Post by lyle76 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:26 am

how bout a LDC? something cheap like a 4033, or a 4047?

what are your goals? what have you recorded so far? the more time you spend with your equipment, the less likely you are to invest in something you don't need. become proficient with what you have, than you'll figure out what you need to invest in.
"meow" - a cat

5thString
studio intern

Post by 5thString » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:38 am

You're right, I forgot to mention that I mainly record pop/rock songs, with strong 60's british pop influences.

As for the LDC, I have access to a M-Audio Luna. I'm thinking about buying a Sputnik at some point, or one of those "not so expensive" U46 or c12 clones, like one of the Advance Audio Microphones.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:43 am

I wouldn't spend alot of money yet. You should work with what you've got until you hit the limit of what you can do with it.
That said, I don't see any monitors listed there. That would be a good place to start. The KRK Rokit 5's are great for the money.
I'd also start buying any and all used mics you come across. Look for deals. Used dynamics can be had cheap and there are tons of usable options. I've never met a $30 mic I didn't like on some source or another. Pretty much anything from Shure, EV or AKG will be usefull for something.

5thString
studio intern

Post by 5thString » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:48 am

junkshop wrote:I wouldn't spend alot of money yet. You should work with what you've got until you hit the limit of what you can do with it.
That said, I don't see any monitors listed there. That would be a good place to start. The KRK Rokit 5's are great for the money.
I'd also start buying any and all used mics you come across. Look for deals. Used dynamics can be had cheap and there are tons of usable options. I've never met a $30 mic I didn't like on some source or another. Pretty much anything from Shure, EV or AKG will be usefull for something.
The closest i have to monitors are the M-Audio StudioPro 3 :P . I thought about the KRK's before. Getting better monitors seems like one of the best steps to go now.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:52 am

5thString wrote: The closest i have to monitors are the M-Audio StudioPro 3 :P . I thought about the KRK's before. Getting better monitors seems like one of the best steps to go now.
Oops! Sorry about that. Stick with the StudioPros if they're working for you. If not the KRK's are pretty great for the price. I replaced my old Monitor 1s with KRKs and it made a world of difference.

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:31 am

What should you invest in next? A Roth IRA.

What gear should you buy next? Definitely not an investment although some gear I bought has gone up exponentially (the Interfax Harmonix Percolater I bought 20 years ago for $40 is worth thousands now).

If you feel like you have a good grip on your current gear and it's limitations I'd address whatever limitation is driving you nuts.

A decent compressor might be where I'd start. Maybe a dBx 160x. Maybe an RNC. Maybe another mic (depending on how much you like what you already have) You already have a couple nice mics (I like 57s and 81s) but maybe an Oktavamod 219. Tons of bang for the buck there.
Check out my website for cool songs recorded and played by me with Steve Goulding of the Mekons on drums. Drums were recorded by our own Joel H at Studio G.
www.linusNYC.com

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:37 am

Read as much as you can in the "Making A Room" topic. $1K, even $500 in acoustic treatment can make a huge difference.

+1 on a decent entry-level compressor, just so you can learn what it does. In addition to the dbx and RNC, people like the ART Pro VLA.

I keep saying this, but look into large diaphragm dynamics. SM7, RE20, Heil PR30/PR40, Beyer. Lots of ribbon mic options too. Very useful, lots of flavor.

Decent pres? I'll let someone else recommend them- people are eager to do so.

5thString
studio intern

Post by 5thString » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:06 am

linus wrote:What should you invest in next? A Roth IRA.

[...]
:D - Took me some time to get it!! :oops:
Not easy when read from France...

:lol:

Thanks for the advice anyway 8)

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:36 am

junkshop wrote:I'd also start buying any and all used mics you come across. Look for deals. Used dynamics can be had cheap and there are tons of usable options. I've never met a $30 mic I didn't like on some source or another. Pretty much anything from Shure, EV or AKG will be usefull for something.
ding ding ding!
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: What should I invest in next?

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:36 am

5thString wrote:Hello.

This is my first post here. I spent some time reading and learning already, and i posted the same question on other forums as well.

Oh and, thanks a thousand times for the awesome Tape Op magazine!! I * just * LOVE * it!!

Here's my gear (I am an absolute beginner!):

iMac 2.4Ghz
M-Audio Firewire Solo
M-Audio StudioPro 3
Shure sm81 + sm57 + vp64

I'm recording an acoustic guitar, a 4x12" fender bass amp, some harmonica, tambourine and simple percussions, and my voice.

So now that I'm getting serious about it, I am wondering what the next step would be. Let's say I am to spend $1000 to $1400 in some new gear, where should I start? New monitors? A "good" all-in-one audio interface such as the Fireface 400? New *good* mic preamps with a better A/D converters later on in mind?

I'm stuck just because I can't figure out the best action plan to reach excellency on a few years timeline. Can you please give me advices?
Hi,

1.Acoustic room treatment.

2.Microphones

3.Roth IRA ;)

Cheers

5thString
studio intern

Post by 5thString » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:17 am

8) - Thanks!