What do you look for when you see a band live the first time

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

holidayhell
pluggin' in mics

Post by holidayhell » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:23 am

Just have fun. Not everyone will like it. You'll see folks doing a lot of things other than watching you perform up on the stage. Some might be heading for the exits during your second song. Just have a good time.

AND DONT
Take forever to load on or off the stage. Show some class.
Stare at one guy in the band for half the song cause he flubbed a part. It takes the crowd and the band out of a live performance. Roll with any mistakes. Turn them into positives if you can. Vocal mic falls over? Then get your ass on the ground and sing the rest of the tune into a mic laying there.

And theres nothing more annoying than bands apologizing after songs. If I enjoyed the song dont make me feel like a dick by telling me i shouldn't have.

And know how long your set is. Hopefully the club has got their act together and lets you know how long you need to play for. Dont be asking the sound guy halfway thru the set how many songs do you have left. Keep your set to around thirty minutes if youre a local act .
You got songs that average 4 to 5 minutes? Plan on doing around 6-7 tunes. If you cant kill folks with those songs the extra two 'amazing' songs you cut out for time wont do it either. I hate bands who get told they have time for one more song and start complaining they need at least time for two cause they saved their "best' for last.
Last edited by holidayhell on Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:10 am, edited 4 times in total.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:34 am

holidayhell wrote:AND DONT
Take forever to load on or off the stage. Show some class.
I forgot about this one. this is huge.

The drummer should set up and tear down his drum set OFF OF THE STAGE. Don't wrap cables on the stage. Just grab them, throw them in your backpack and wrap them after you've cleared the way for the other band.

If, after your last song, your friends come up on stage to high-five you and tell you how rad you were (they will), tell them that they don't belong there and that they should get the fuck off the stage immediately. People who aren't in bands like to stand on the stage. But, they have no business there and they're just getting in the way and slowing down your load out. If there is another band after you, then you have to wait until you've cleared the stage to bask in your glory.

If you're playing in the middle of a multiple band evening, be sure that you are ready to go to work when the band before you finishes their set. Get up there, do your line check and get busy rocking. People are waiting... after line check is not the appropriate time to: 1. go to the bathroom, 2. go out for a smoke, or 3. get some water or beers from the bar. You had time to do that shit while the band before you was playing. Now people are waiting on you to hurry up and play. Do that.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:04 am

drummers who tear their shit down on stage deserve a baseball bat to the shins. that shit is just not acceptable. get on and off stage as fast as possible.

it's nice to see so many people mention their hatred of noodling in between songs. that shit is not acceptable either.

short sets are better. i fail to understand these bands who think that their 9:30 set at Billys Local Rock Hovel is akin to Friday Night At The Apollo and they need to play 10 long ass songs to "really give the crowd their money's worth". christ on a crutch. your songs are BORING. 6 of them is PLENTY. go AWAY already. even if your songs are awesome, play a short set and leave the crowd wanting more.
@?,*???&? wrote:#1 on my list is the drummer.
we agree! anything is now possible!

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:49 am

things I hate about working hardcore shows:

- 9 bands on every show

things I love about working hardcore shows:

- 14 minute sets

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:00 pm

I think this might be fun, and I'm going to try and arrange it, is to video tape the show and post it on youtube or host it on a website to let you guys watch it and give advice on things to improve on or what you liked.

The wrapping cables/taking down drums on stage is a great point that I've never really think about.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:21 pm

this is a lot of things for you to worry about for your first show... I'd say to primarily just try to be professional and courteous and other than that, focus on performing. You'll learn everything else as you go.

Oh yeah... try to have some fun, too!

Boogdish
takin' a dinner break

Post by Boogdish » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:37 pm

Maybe some night the week of the show you could try and schedule a practice somewhere other than your normal practice spot, just to sort of give yourselves the practice with setting up/tearing down and also playing in an unfamiliar acoustic space. I did that when I first started doing one-man-band shows because I was nervous and it payed off.

Also, practice with the lights off a couple times, you'll be amazed how many shows happen in the dark.

tummymondo
audio school graduate

Post by tummymondo » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:36 pm

- smiles on their faces when they get ready to play

- 20 minute sets or less

- smiles on their faces when they're done playing

nothing makes me dismiss a band quicker than having them argue about what song to play next, or getting mad whenever they miss a few notes, or just generally having a bad time. i love when you can tell a band didn't rehearse their stage show and they're just pulling everything out of their asses.. unfortunately thats what seperates the men from the boys as far as executing it well.

manganeech
alignin' 24-trk

Post by manganeech » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:49 pm

Make a pact with your bandmates to do your best but not take your first 20 min gig too seriously. Don't beat up on yourselves or each other if you blow a song, laugh it off and role into another. People go out to see music to have a good time, so your attitude is everything.

I want to point out something that I haven't heard brought up before. How you interact with your audience depends a lot on what your songs are about:
If you are trying to communicate teen angst, act tortured and wronged.
If you are crooning a love song, make eye contact and flirt with the proverbial ladies.
If your songs are all soulful introspection, close your eyes and get lost in the vibe.
If you are hot jazz musicians throwing lines back and forth, focus on the communication between each other and ignore the crowd.
Goofy theatrical rock, dress up like KISS and pour on the gimmicks.

Being true to what you want your music to communicate is what I think is important.
If you are sold on your musical ideas the crowd is a lot more likely to buy it too.

Good Luck!

tonic889
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tonic889 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:12 am

subatomic pieces wrote:They played in OKC and Tulsa within a few months of each other, and we got almost the EXACT SAME BANTER at both shows! All the way down to jokes that were supposedly situational.
I used to be in a band where the singer did this also. However much you think it sucks for the audience, multiply it by 40 and that's how much it sucks for the rest of the band.

Party Chief
audio school

Post by Party Chief » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:36 am

Justin Foley wrote:All very good live music performances have, for me, shared at least this: there is some point where the music and performance create at least one moment that is totally immersive - I am there with the music being played and lose a sense of time and self. The best shows I have ever seen or played have carried this moment on for the whole sets - other times it's just a few seconds. But it's always there.

For the performers, this cannot happen unless they are into the music. This need not be jumping around or going crazy (although it sure can be). But if the performers are not honestly at the place they are trying to get me in what they are playing, I always feel something's lacking.

I hate to sound like a cranky "I was there" grandpa, but I was struck as a teen when I saw the Jesus Lizard play a small club in Chicago. They were easily the dorkiest looking guys in the place - dumb shirt, really bad (not cool bad, just bad) haircuts, silly looks on their faces. But when they got on stage, they were totally riveting and immediately drew the whole room into a violent nightmare. Shaken to my core, I drew my own conclusions for what was important.

Good luck,

= Justin
Man, this is spot on.

All of my favorite shows have had this element.

I have never been all that moved by what the band was wearing or saying onstage. I have always been sensitive to anything that I consider contrived(this is a ME problem), so banter and flashy outfits have always been a bit annoying. Some people can pull it off, and that is great. I am always fascinated when the most unlikely people end up on stage and bring the house down. Less talk-more rock

Great songs(important but subjective)
Passionate performance

When a performance transcends, I always imagine the band is in the only place it could be at that particular moment in time, and I get to be a part of that.

LH

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:28 am

mikeyc wrote:
lyman wrote:
joking aside, i play with a guy who habitually thanks the crowd after every single song before the last note is even done. it's like he's cuing them to applaud, as if he's afraid of silence or something after the song is done. it's so amateur sounding.
Another thing that irks me is when the act tells a story about every damn song they play. I saw an acoustic act a few months ago that did this-- it was like they were trying to justify the existence of the song. Drove me nuts.

I think as long as you look and play like you care, you'll be topping 85% of the local bands out there. And be nice to the audience, the other bands, and especially the sound guy.
i hear you. save it for 'VH1 Storytellers.' unless you're townes van zandt, it's a bad idea.

lharless
takin' a dinner break

Post by lharless » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:10 am

make sure to lean back from the mic and look side to side.

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:04 am

lharless wrote:make sure to lean back from the mic and look side to side.

:lol:

Forget my last comment. Just do this.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:56 am

I just want to thank everyone for their advice. I've read every comment and think there is a ton of great tip and people mentioned a lot of things I never thing before going on stage. Hopefully we'll have a strong show and showing, if anyone is in Nashville the show is Monday, March 31st at the Basement. It's free to get in, and they have cheap beer!

If someone records the show with a video camera I'll try to post it on YouTube and maybe I can get some thought on how you all thought the show went.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion