What do you look for when you see a band live the first time

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

What do you look for when you see a band live the first time

Post by Sean Sullivan » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:27 am

My band has their first gig on the 31st, and it's been awhile since I've played a show. I know some people will disagree, but having good music doesn't seem to be enough to keep people's attention for 30 minutes.

When you go see a band you've never heard of, what makes them stand out to you? A lot of stage presence, matching outfits, a funny frontman who tells jokes? I know, all that sounds a little stupid, but I see it more and more these days so I thought I'd ask.

We play alternative country/power pop (Wilco mixed with Big Star) so should we go up their in flannel shirts and jeans and boots with our Telecasters and Fender Twins and just stand around looking like we don't really care? Or does appereance not matter much? When I saw Dr. Dog those big sunglasses and scruffy beards went along with the music...it added to the experience.

When I see a band like Wilco, of course the music is a big part of why I enjoy it, but they also looks good on stage. Jeff Tweedy is an engaging frontman who engages the audience, but unlike a band people have never scene the audience is familiar with Tweedy and respond to him, which probably isn't the case with a new band.

This is a silly post probably but one worth asking.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:09 am

matching outfits
I thought punk rock took care of silly band costumes. Apparently Gen Y didn't get the memo. :D

Seriously, so many bands in the Twin Cities do that, it's embarrassing.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:11 am

Assuming that the music is good:

I'd say that appearance DOES matter, but that less is more.

You have to look comfortable being up there, and I tend to think for a band like you've described, looking natural is the best way to be comfortable. Western-style shirts are always a hit, but I just *don't* want to see some guy wearing 'the stage hat' or dressed like axl rose singing country tunes. Looking honest is important. I find logos / strong colors / etc a distraction onstage. Depends on the lighting of the venue I guess, but usually basic looks best.

Showmanship is important, but that doesn't necessarily mean being showy. Having a practiced set list with a good pace is the most effective way of keeping people's attention. Figure out when you'll need to tune, change instruments, etc, etc and have the guy who's not really doing anything do some banter during those parts. People like banter, but don't be too silly. You're onstage for your music, not your comedy. In-jokes between the band only become really funny once you're so popular that everyone wants in. People are usually interested in stories. If you're gonna talk, make it memorable.

Good songs played confidently in a well-thought-out sequence speak louder than gimmerickery. I have to say those 'get the audience clapping' bits usually work pretty well though.

But if the songs are bad:

Do whatever it takes to divert the audience's concentration from the music.

So thats one mans opinion. I don't usually go in for the high-budget 'produced' , touring shows though, just the $5 friday nights at the bar down the street. The bigger the venue, the more gimmickery is acceptable, and I guess expected at a certain point. Play to the audience, but don't pander. I dunno. This is rambling now...
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:23 am

I agree, one thing that has bugged me about past bands is not being able to flow into the next song and taking a minute between each song to talk to the other band members to figure out what is coming next.

It's just a 20 minute set, so I'm thinking of starts off with a bang...rings out a little and goes directly into the next song. Hopefully after to up tempo songs we'll have the audience's attention and take a minute to tune and tell the audience who we are. Then a mid-tempo bouncy fun song followed by a slower song, then take a minute to tune and tell the audience this is our last one and finish with another rockin' number.

I want to feel comfortable, and this is the first time I've never wrote the songs so I'm not as concerned about how they are going and I can enjoy playing them and relaxing a bit more.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

shakestheclown
takin' a dinner break

Post by shakestheclown » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:27 am

I would run far away from any band that was dressed alike. In general I have noticed that "gimmicky" bands (matching outfits, their own lighting rig/fog machine, wigs, etc...) are compensating for something.

Chances are if you are all like minded people you'll end up with a cohesive look on stage. Looking confident and comfortable with the tunes is the biggest thing for me.

Just look like you're having fun doing it.

Be charismatic but don't be a poser.

Talk to the audience...scratch that... Engage the audience. make them feel like they are a part of something.

Or just go rock your faces off and the crowd can be damned.

... yea, that one.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:36 am

Make sure that you are fluidly rehearsed, no matter what style of music you are playing. Be in tune.

Be relaxed and confident in appearance, even if inside you are not. Own the stage. Practice owning the stage before you are on stage. Discuss this with your band mates and have a few practices that are more of a practice space performance. Invite some friends for this before your fist gig. This does not mean invite your friends to every band practice. And while we're at it, record your practices to make sure that you are ready before you book the gig.

Also, bands that have background vocals should have harmonies that are in tune. Put your instruments down and practice singing harmonies with each other. I am extremely impressed by bands that pull off everything and can sing their asses off. Remember that for a large percentage of the audience, singing is all they really hear.

Gimmicks are gimmicks. I don't care what a band is wearing if they move me musically. Remember that every aspect of being in a band is what you are presenting on stage to an audience. Be a functional family up there, play and sing your asses off, and confidently greet the audience.

Jeff

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:00 am

1. unless someone in your band is really, really charming, keep the talking to a minimum.

2. what you wear is not nearly as important as how confident you feel when you're wearing it. do you think that Wilco would be comfortable playing a show dressed like Of Montreal? But, then again, Of Montreal is so comfortable with what they're doing that their silly costumes don't really bother me.

3. Having fun is the most important part of your stage presence. If the audience can truly feel that you're having a blast, they're more likely to have a blast themselves.

;ivlunsdystf
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:02 am

Visibly pay attention. There's nothing worse than a band that's obviously phoning it in.

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:27 pm

Bands are entertainment, which is sometimes art. Kind of like movies and sports.

So think about what pulls you toward any entertainment medium and holds your attention. For me it would be, competence, conviction, the occasional surprise, and some kind of cool visual aspect (examples of the latter: great NBA dunks or actors the camera loves).

+1 on the stuff above about flowing smoothly through the set.

It also helps if the band is proud of the music.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

Boogdish
takin' a dinner break

Post by Boogdish » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:10 pm

Try to have fun. If you guys aren't enjoying your set, I doubt the audience will either. Just try to be yourselves and play well. If you feel like talking to the audience, then talk to them. You can't control how the audience will react, don't base your feelings about the set on what other people felt about it.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:22 pm

Boogdish wrote:Try to have fun. If you guys aren't enjoying your set, I doubt the audience will either. Just try to be yourselves and play well. If you feel like talking to the audience, then talk to them. You can't control how the audience will react, don't base your feelings about the set on what other people felt about it.
This is great advice. Just get up there and make music that YOU like therefore making it genuine and that will go a long way with an audience. Don't try to play music that someone else will like.

Also, don't talk. Just say your name, possibly introduce a tune by name only right before it starts. Don't let the drinker in your group (if there is one) get near the mic. You could possibly work it out, in such a short set, that the tunes all somehow flow into one another. When I do wedding gigs or 4 hour cover bar gigs, we always have someone start the next song as the applause is still going and then everyone just kind of works their way into the tune. Down time where you all kinda look at each other getting ready to play the next tune just makes you look unprofessional.

Also, don't fiddle and noodle in between songs. That is goddamn annoying. When I am on stage with someone who starts some stupid noodle of a Doors song or something worse (like the next song we are about to play!!) while someone else is tuning or something, I am so embarrassed at how unprofessional and stupid that is.

You are already doing the right thing by having your first show be short. I hate bands that I have never heard of that have 3 people showing up to see them tend to play for what seems like forever.

Sorry for the long post...hope I didn't overdo it.

-Ken
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:24 pm

kentothink wrote:Also, don't talk.
There are less than 10 bands on the planet that can actually carry on the "between song banter" and they're all British.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:02 pm

Ken had some great advice!

I'll add a few to the "don't" list:

1. if the drummer plays anytime other than DURING a song or DURING soundcheck, it is a bad thing. Worst case... soundcheck is over, doors are open, people coming in, drummer still on stage "warming up" (trying to show off) by playing over the house music.

2. if you're a local, opening for a touring band at a small venue, don't "compete" with the touring band for merch sales. A giant, obnoxious merch display for a local band is ridiculous. Just take your corner of the table and lay our a few things. If you must mention your merch from the stage, please suggest that the audience pick up something from the touring bands first, because they probably need gas money.

3. don't "stall" or try to push back the beginning of your set because your cousin's friend from work isn't there yet. Start your set when they tell you to. In fact, you should pretty much do whatever the venue or the headlining band asks of you. If you feel like you're being treated unfairly by the venue, it's better to just not play there again than to "rebel" and earn your band a bad reputation.

4. it's a good idea to make sure that everyone in the band is on the same page as far as attitude and behavior is concerned, before arriving at the venue. It sucks when one person has to be the parent and keep everyone else in line when you're at the venue.

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:09 pm

kayagum wrote:
There are less than 10 bands on the planet that can actually carry on the "between song banter" and they're all British.
Add Wayne Coyne as the exception
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:16 pm

Electro-Voice 664 wrote:
kayagum wrote:
Add Wayne Coyne as the exception
he's the Carrot Top of indie rock.