cleaning rubber pinch rollers with soap and water?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JustinHedrick
steve albini likes it

cleaning rubber pinch rollers with soap and water?

Post by JustinHedrick » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:31 am

terry from terry's rubber rollers recommended on his site to clean pinch rollers w/ soap and water. anyone do this??
another metal guitar tip is to put a fan in front of you while you play, so it blows your stupid long hair around like the solo is BLOWING YOU AWAY because you're a fucking tool.

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:39 am

I've been using this stuff for rubber pinch rollers:

http://www.usrecordingmedia.com/larc5twopapi.html

It works excellently.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

JustinHedrick
steve albini likes it

Post by JustinHedrick » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:44 am

cool. have you ever heard of using wd40 on the pinch rollers?
another metal guitar tip is to put a fan in front of you while you play, so it blows your stupid long hair around like the solo is BLOWING YOU AWAY because you're a fucking tool.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:43 am

JustinHedrick wrote:cool. have you ever heard of using wd40 on the pinch rollers?
Please don't do this. WD40 has petroleum based stuff in it. Petroleum based materials do NOT like most natural rubber materials. Makes 'em all sticky and melty-like...bad scene. If you're not totally sure what your pinch roller is made of (and why would you be?) then use something non-aggressive...like soap and water. Or What Mr. Berson has suggested.

Could be your thinking of the ceramic capstans used on MCI decks? You should clean those with Formula 409...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

JustinHedrick
steve albini likes it

Post by JustinHedrick » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:04 pm

djimbe wrote:
JustinHedrick wrote:cool. have you ever heard of using wd40 on the pinch rollers?
Please don't do this. WD40 has petroleum based stuff in it. Petroleum based materials do NOT like most natural rubber materials. Makes 'em all sticky and melty-like...bad scene. If you're not totally sure what your pinch roller is made of (and why would you be?) then use something non-aggressive...like soap and water. Or What Mr. Berson has suggested.

Could be your thinking of the ceramic capstans used on MCI decks? You should clean those with Formula 409...
that could be. I swear i've heard of people using fantastik as well. am I crazy?

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:41 pm

WD40 should never be used around ANY audio gear you actually care about.

Working on your '68 Mustang? Fine.

Working on your MCI JH-100? Hell, no!
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

ladewd
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ladewd » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:27 pm

409 works good.

CA

JustinHedrick
steve albini likes it

Post by JustinHedrick » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:38 pm

ladewd wrote:409 works good.

CA
really, it won't dry out the rubber or anything??

fazeka
steve albini likes it

Post by fazeka » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:19 pm

I think 409 and even Fantastik do contain *some* solvent in there, which theoretically is bad for pinch roller "rubber"...

I myself use Simple Green cut with water (1:5? I dunno, I eyeball it).

Never needed to go full-strength, thank God, as Simple Green is actually pretty potent full-strength...

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:46 pm

+1 on the 409. I've had no problems (so far).

Simple Green sounds like a good idea too.

Still, the next time I have a chunk o'paypal I'm going to get me some of that rubber cleaner and conditioner from US Recording. I've got an old bottle of TASCAM rubber cleaning fluid, and I know it's bad for the pinch rollers... but at the same time it's done wonders for softening up the hockey puck on my Fostex. Took it from unusable to usable in about five minutes. (Been cleaning it with 409 since, using the TASCAM stuff rarely--when I'm doing something critical.)

EDIT: it was TASCAM rubber cleaning fluid, not head cleaner or some other kind of cleaner.
Last edited by Judas Jetski on Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

mcijh
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mcijh » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:13 pm

If you do anything other than dish soap, and water, or 409, don't tell anyone you did it, exept not to do that.

SS

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:51 am

Oh... Ooops! Whatever I did, that wasn't what I said I did, I didn't say I did that. I mean, I didn't do whatever it was I wasn't did I said. My bad.

(Although I should point out that the pinch roller I put the Tascam stuff on was useless otherwise... except maybe as a rebuildable core.)
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com