what are you guys using for monitor (screen) sizes?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joninc
dead but not forgotten

what are you guys using for monitor (screen) sizes?

Post by joninc » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:21 pm

ARRRGGHHHH. i am in computer hell this week. new rig - new problems.

my set up is that the LCD is above and directly behind my console. about 4 feet from my face. a typical computer desk would have you a lot closer - maybe 2 feet max from the screen so this is further than that obviously.

i just got a new LCD (BENQ 22 inch) - hoping for more real estate on the screen to work with from my previous 19". BUT it only looks good at the max res which is 1680x1050. that is way too small for reading all day on cubase etc...

1280 x 768 is a much more workable size - but then the view is kind of rough and pixelated and not sharp at all.

i am wondering if i should have taken a step backwards and gone to 2 17 inch LCD instead - to keep the screen stuff readable and have enough space to work..

what do you guys use/do? i can't be the only one with a setup like this.

(btw i have debated moving the screen but i really like it centered between the speakers above the console - in the sweet spot)
the new rules : there are no rules

stompforfuzz
gettin' sounds

Post by stompforfuzz » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:35 am

I use a samsung 22 inch lcd for my main screen where I throw my track views (I like to see most all at once) Then I send my plug in, mixer (I mix in the box) and file manager to my 17 lcd.

I like it since it keeps my main view from being cluttered. if I were preparing for mixdown and setting my automated changes, I may move my mixer to the main screen and shrink my tracking window.

Works for me...
tear out your heart and make them wear it around their neck so they'll understand

SteveE9C6
audio school graduate

Post by SteveE9C6 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:06 am

I use two flat panel DVI 19 inch sony's. It works great for Sonar 7PE. I keep the track view on one screen and the console view on the other.
Last edited by SteveE9C6 on Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Stallings
Cypress (Houston), Texas
USA
Pedal Steel/Guitar/Keys/Bass/Drums/Vocals

radiationroom
steve albini likes it

Re: what are you guys using for monitor (screen) sizes?

Post by radiationroom » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:00 am

joninc wrote:i just got a new LCD (BENQ 22 inch)
For not much more than the price of a large-sized flat-screen you could have bought yourself a projector that would have doubled as a big-screen TV. Canon has multiformat projectors for under a grand that will take most any kind of SVGA, NTSC, PAL, HDMI, and component video you can throw at it. Hang a slide/movie screen on your wall behind the console and hang the projector from the ceiling, and you have some serious display real estate to look at.

As for me, I have a pair of 17-inch Starlogic flat panels and a 15-inch Gateway Vivitron CRT display at roughly 2.5 feet. The CRT runs at 800x600 and the flat panels run 1024x768. Works great.

Ryan Ferris
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ryan Ferris » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:07 am

If you have a choice between 17" and 19" LCDs, go for the 19". They tend to have the same optimal resolution of 1280x1024 so the 19" is much easier to look at. My first LCD was a 17" and hated having to choose between small clear text or big blurry text. I'm much happier with my current 19" LCD. But if you're going to be four feet away then even two 19" screens would likely be hard to look at. I like the projector idea! ;)

TheForgotten
gettin' sounds

Post by TheForgotten » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:33 am

The best thing you can do for larger LCDs is to increase your font DPI to 120.
That'll clear the text right up (assuming that's the problem)!

On a PC:
Right Click the Desktop>Properties>Settings Tab>Advanced Button>DPI Setting

That should allow you to run at the higher resolutions.

This is basically a requirement, once you get into anything above 17inch.
It was the first thing I did when I got my 23 incher.

SteveE9C6
audio school graduate

Post by SteveE9C6 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:41 am

this might be cool when it finally gets to market...

Steve Stallings
Cypress (Houston), Texas
USA
Pedal Steel/Guitar/Keys/Bass/Drums/Vocals

Gulmyros
audio school graduate

Post by Gulmyros » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:07 pm

Here's a quick pick from Airstream Audio's web site.

Since this picture was taken, David's moved the iso box a bit to the right and added a second cinema display (I think they're both 20") swing-arm mounted on the right side of the Control 24.

During multi-tracking, the monitors swing out to the sides. For post-production VO recording and most editing, they swing around in front of the control surface. And they move around during the mix, depending on what we're working on.

Makes me want movable screens at home.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:09 pm

I just use a single 23" mac display. One of the newer ones.
I love it.
I mix on a console, and the screen is between the monitors, right in the middle of the console. I like that better than to one side, like a locator...

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: what are you guys using for monitor (screen) sizes?

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:32 am

joninc wrote:ARRRGGHHHH. i am in computer hell this week. new rig - new problems.

my set up is that the LCD is above and directly behind my console. about 4 feet from my face. a typical computer desk would have you a lot closer - maybe 2 feet max from the screen so this is further than that obviously.

i just got a new LCD (BENQ 22 inch) - hoping for more real estate on the screen to work with from my previous 19". BUT it only looks good at the max res which is 1680x1050. that is way too small for reading all day on cubase etc...

1280 x 768 is a much more workable size - but then the view is kind of rough and pixelated and not sharp at all.

i am wondering if i should have taken a step backwards and gone to 2 17 inch LCD instead - to keep the screen stuff readable and have enough space to work..

what do you guys use/do? i can't be the only one with a setup like this.

(btw i have debated moving the screen but i really like it centered between the speakers above the console - in the sweet spot)
I use a ViewSonic LCD TV:

37", on the wall:

Cheers

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:29 am

A 19" LCD and a 15" LCD. Both are cheap ones but work just fine for audio work.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:15 am

Dual Samsung 17" Flatscreen monitors hooked up to the G5. I think that they are 17", they may be 19" each. They were a gift, which is why I can't remember. I love my setup.

Jeff

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:21 am

i've got a 24" gateway that i run at 1920 x 1080, but i don't have a console so it's a bit closer to me, and works fantastic. it also has composite, s vid, and component ins, which come in handy from time to time. here's my el cheapo project studio setup, not fancy, but it gets the job done for me:
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:00 pm

Don't normally like or recommend Dell but this is the second 24" display I've purchased and love it:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... u=320-6095

It was about $400 after a discount and shipping. Nothing beats having a good display to do work on. In many ways its a lot better than having heat.
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty