Effects pedal in my guitar? Sure, why not?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Bueford Wilson
audio school graduate

Effects pedal in my guitar? Sure, why not?

Post by Bueford Wilson » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:07 am

So I acquired a free guitar from a friend in the form of a Squier Bullet. With a few guitars already, I figured I would chop this one up. I want to rewire it to have two pickups as opposed to the one humbucker. Also, I am going to be removing as small a part as possible of the body (hopefully under the pickguard) to install an effects pedal. Have any of you done this or have any words of wisdom pertaining to a pedal with small enough electronics to pull this off? EH Nano? What about wiring for battery compartment without draining the battery even when it?s not plugged in? I haven?t even decided yet what kind of effect I want in it but thought it could be a fun project. Any input would be great.
"You know what you can't outsource? You can't outsource balls. America is the world leader in balls."

-Stephen Colbert

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:06 am

How are you going to choose a pedal? I think I'd wire in a compressor, personally. Also: The MXR pedals are nice and small but the guts are all circuit board nowadays, which would be hard to consolidate into a smaller space. EH nano pedals are probably the same way to keep the cost down. If you're going to cannibalize an existing pedal, I bet the older ones are easier to deal with.

However, I think you should check out buildyourownclone or http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/ where you can get parts to make something and then it will be easier to jam into a small space, part by part. Shielding would also be an issue I suppose.

Keep us posted. We are all suckers for photos of a good DIY process.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:59 am

The dude from Muse has a Zvex Fuzz Factory built into his guitar. That's how he does the first few seconds of "Plug-in Baby". I think in his case they routed out some material behind the bridge and they also reduced the number of knobs the pedal normally has.

In terms of the battery, just get a TRS jack to replace the TS jack in the guitar, and then wire the ground leg of the battery to the R terminal on the jack. When a TS plug is inserted it will connect the battery's ground to the ground and you'll have power. When the plug is removed you'll disconnect the battery.

I think BYOC would be a great place to get a circuit and components for this.

Todd Wilcox

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:04 am

Back in the 70s Electra put out a guitar called the MPC that had 2 modular effects built in. You could swap out one of several modules. I own one; they're pretty cool. Getting pricey on eBay these days though.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Bueford Wilson
audio school graduate

Post by Bueford Wilson » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:49 pm

Sweet. You guys are awesome. I'll have to start checking out some options you mentioned. I'm moving to D.C. in early May and I'll need something to keep me busy when I get there, and I'll definitely be posting some pics asap as I'm going to get started on it while still in Michigan.

Rock on

-Trevor
"You know what you can't outsource? You can't outsource balls. America is the world leader in balls."

-Stephen Colbert

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:57 pm

"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

micyourbrain
takin' a dinner break

Post by micyourbrain » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:09 pm

i wouldn't put an effects pedal in there but I could support putting some type of theremin/volume control. that would actually enhance your creative ability, rather than just being a novelty. what's wrong with pedals on the ground?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:17 pm

nothin'. But it is cool to be able to change an effects parameter while playing without bending over.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:45 pm

hell yeah, Cocteau Twins city. :D
dwlb wrote:nothin'. But it is cool to be able to change an effects parameter while playing without bending over.
Gretsch Super Axe!

and those Electra guitars with the interchangeable modules, too.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

jammybastard
pluggin' in mics

Post by jammybastard » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:37 pm

Bueford Wilson
audio school graduate

Post by Bueford Wilson » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:25 am

RefD wrote:
hell yeah, Cocteau Twins city. :D
dwlb wrote:nothin'. But it is cool to be able to change an effects parameter while playing without bending over.
Gretsch Super Axe!

and those Electra guitars with the interchangeable modules, too.
Funny that you mention Cocteau Twins. The guy I got the guitar from adhered a Cocteau Twins poster to the body for a paint job. (Nothing against the twins, but it was not so great looking, so that's coming off.)

-Stephen Colbert

Bueford Wilson
audio school graduate

Post by Bueford Wilson » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:32 am

Looks like I found my spot. Thanks a lot Smitty. Hmmm... Now which one to get......

-Stephen Colbert

Bueford Wilson
audio school graduate

Post by Bueford Wilson » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:36 am

micyourbrain wrote:i wouldn't put an effects pedal in there but I could support putting some type of theremin/volume control. that would actually enhance your creative ability, rather than just being a novelty. what's wrong with pedals on the ground?

Absolutely nothing wrong with pedals on the ground. I've got several. Just having some fun with a guitar that I don't have to worry about chopping up/boredom :D

-Stephen Colbert

puls
takin' a dinner break

Post by puls » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:57 pm

One thing you may want to consider. Jerry Garcia had a buffer w/ an effects loop wired into his guitar so he could control the effects mix via a volume control on his guitar. I stumbled upon this on a thread on thegearpage.net, & there were links to other sites w/ more specific info.

jwp
The universe is under no obligation to conform to your beliefs

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:11 am

puls wrote:One thing you may want to consider. Jerry Garcia had a buffer w/ an effects loop wired into his guitar so he could control the effects mix via a volume control on his guitar. I stumbled upon this on a thread on thegearpage.net, & there were links to other sites w/ more specific info.

jwp

I thought it was ultimately set up that way so he could hit effects at full pickup volume even while outputting at lower volumes to an amp.