Passive DI in reverse as reamp

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

hobbycore
alignin' 24-trk

Passive DI in reverse as reamp

Post by hobbycore » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:43 am

Is there any downside to using a passive DI in reverse as a reamping device? If so... what?

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:10 am

the ratios will be right with a DI reversed but the impedances will be a little off. Meaning it'll be 10,000 to 600 ohm not 100,000 to 600. But thats still good enough for government work.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

;ivlunsdystf
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:09 am

I do it all the time - it's not as hi-fi as a real reamp but I get good results with it

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:23 am

calaverasgrandes wrote:the ratios will be right with a DI reversed but the impedances will be a little off. Meaning it'll be 10,000 to 600 ohm not 100,000 to 600. But thats still good enough for government work.
It depends on the construction, rarely is anything truly 600 ohms these days.

And some DI boxes are 1M or higher. I have a couple of them that sound pretty good.

You also have to look at some of the plans floating around the interweb. Many of them really dont have a 1M impedance for the amp side. This side will affect the sound, but not as much as if you were to put a guitar/bass into a lower impedance.

Matching the impedance is important, but how the level is matched is critical as well. Many of the plans floating around have a 1:1 tranny and have simple resistors to match the impedance/levels.

I'll quit rambling, avoid it all and go into the effects loop return, thats what I do. There is a long thread around here somewhere describing the different ways I do Reamping to avoid the impedance/level matching issues.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:27 am

just to add..

having that impedance not ideal can cause a wonky frequency response..some of the other downs to not using a commercial reamp device is you might not get a trim control..earth lift..polarity flip..etc..which is really just icing but you know..

jv
pushin' record

Post by jv » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:37 am

calaverasgrandes wrote:the ratios will be right with a DI reversed
Actually, this is not true- the ratios will be the opposite of what you want for re-amping. Passive di's step down the signal. For instance, a passive di with a jensen di transformer steps the signal down by a ratio of 12 (22 db). So a di in reverse will STEP UP the signal by the same amount. So a 1 v peak-to-peak signal will be stepped up to 12 v p-p. For reamping, you want to lower the signal, so you need some serious attenuation in there somewhere.

Osumosan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Osumosan » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:40 am

Just for the record, I asked John Hardy this very question a couple years ago. His reply was that reversing a DI (even the ones he sells) was like jumping back into an airplane.

That said, I don't think a flat out "no" answer would be in the spirit of the TOMB credo, eh?

hobbycore
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hobbycore » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:12 pm

So.... the answer is pretty much "no"? :?

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:26 pm

for the record I was just shhoting rainbows out my ass on those numbers. In the real world I know most DI's will havediffernt numbers, but the ratios are representative, the ones I gave were for the DI used in the normal manner, of course in reverse the low side would be receiving the line.

I usually just pop the switch to -10 output and the passive DI I use DOES lower output also. I think it depends on your DI's tranny. Some indeed do have some gain inthe transformer. But being that its passive and we live in a universe constrained by the laws of thermodynamics you cant get gain for free. If its giving you volt gain its robbing the current of it and vicey vercey. kinda like goin from a 3"wide pipe with the eater moving at 1 foot a sec to a 1" pipe the wate will speed up its flow and increase pressure. Same amount of water though.
The whole impedance thing matters a lot more on older amps and gadgets than new ones. My old pedals sound like garbage when try to I re-amp thru them. They cant handle the impedance mismatch. Newer stuff does better. My 80's Mesa is particularly finicky on impedance as its lower than a lot of amps.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

;ivlunsdystf
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:26 pm

hobbycore wrote:So.... the answer is pretty much "no"? :?
More like "it depends", I'd say; that's the answer to every question though...