Otari MX5050 Alignment question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

fuzz1964
pluggin' in mics

Otari MX5050 Alignment question

Post by fuzz1964 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:28 am

I recently bought an older mx5050, and am getting ready to purchace a 250 n/w/b 15 ips mrl to do calibration...in the manual it only explains that repro will have to be taken care of before record levels....my question is where are the physical pots to adjust repro levels with the mrl....There are record bias, eq, and level pots on the front of the machine, and i opened up the bottom of the machine and saw some sel-rep pots, and other misc. pots, is this where the pots are located? Or is it just a matter of making sure the volume output knob on the front of the machine is outputing 0db with the mrl? This seems like it would be a no-brainer, i've done alignment on the 2" Otaris where all the pots are on the individual cards, but i can't figure it out!! Please Help.....

biasvoltage
steve albini likes it

Post by biasvoltage » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:58 pm

Is this a MX5050 8 track or 2 track? The 8 track has a PB level trimpot on the back, the MX5050 2 track has trimpots on the circuit card inside the box. PITA to deal with. I have never gotten my MX5050-2 aligned to my satisfaction.

supersean
audio school

Post by supersean » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:54 am

I have the mkIII, and all of the adjustments are located on the top of the machine on the actual audio cards. I think this is what you're looking to find...
If you have the desktop machine, you need to pop off the top plate, above the meters. The cards in there have all of the pots for adjusting bias, levels, etc.

hope that helps!

Sean