Strat bridges impact on tone?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Strat bridges impact on tone?

Post by comfortstarr » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:50 am

I did a search and found this (http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... c&&start=0) which talks about the subject a bit, but I'd like some more opinions.

I have a franken-strat that I want to put some heavier guage strings on (12s maybe). I also want to do a set-up on it. Currently, it has a standard strat tremelo bridge which I never use. So, I think I have 3 options:

1) Just leave the current bridge
2) Just leave the current bridge on, but do the "blocking" thing to lock it down
3) Maybe replace the bridge with a non-tremolo (hard tail) bridge

I guess my main question is: is there a huge tonal impact of just having a standard strat temelo bridge (unblocked) compared to a non-tremelo bridge? My general thoughts are that a non-tremelo would likely stay in tune more (not a huge concern to be fair) and perhaps provide better sustain and a fuller tone. But it's just a huge guess.

As I type this, I realize it's kind of dumb question, I should just do the set-up with the current bridge and the new strings, play with it. Then block it, play with it, then make a decision.

I'm still curious about what people think about the issue.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:33 am

Everything in the universe effects tone.

Everything vibrates or conducts or insulates to varying degrees and at varying frequencies.

Hell, you could turn you guitar cable around, plug it in the other way, and it should effect your tone.

Whether it does so substantially is up to the person listening.

To my ears, an unblocked bridge does have a bit less sustain than blocked one.

Stringing through the body instead of using an oldschool hard tail bridge does increase tension, giving a feel I prefer and increasing sustain and tone.

But who knows? You could like it better the other way around! It's personal. Listen to opinions to get ideas. Try things to develop your own ideas.

Then report back!
Last edited by fossiltooth on Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:20 am

I use 12's on my guitars.
I don't use the trem on the strat.
Blocked is very cool but I like to
do 5 springs in tightened all the way.
Seems to retain a little more of the 'strat' thing that way.
Easy to try it.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:13 pm

roscoenyc wrote: Blocked is very cool but I like to
do 5 springs in tightened all the way.
Seems to retain a little more of the 'strat' thing that way.
Exactly!

My "main" Strat (which is a frankenstien of my own design... that I rarely play because I'm engineering all the time!) has 5 springs and .011s.

Blocking does have a bit more sustain and tine, but it won't necessarily be to everyone's tastes. Blocking can start to make things sound and feel a little "un-fendery".
Last edited by fossiltooth on Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

micyourbrain
takin' a dinner break

Post by micyourbrain » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:34 pm

does it have the US Standard strat 2 point trem or the vintage style trem?

RyanNeus
audio school

building

Post by RyanNeus » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:49 am

great thread

I'm currently experimenting with routing the tremolo cavities to fit a shaped piece of hardwood into a strat body. I like the look and feel of a strat but didn't want much to do with the trem. Kinda leaning towards a Schaller top loader bridge.

RN

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:04 am

micyourbrain wrote:does it have the US Standard strat 2 point trem or the vintage style trem?
um... erm... I'm going to guess vintage style. I don't know enough to know how to tell. It looks very much like this: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_ta ... Strat.html

Though I don't think it's a gotah.

There's also this thing as an option: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_ta ... etter.html

Curious if it works as advertised.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:42 am

i have a strat style guitar. it's got a hardtail string-thru-body bridge, and i replaced the saddles from the thinner "vintage" style to heavier "block" saddles. i feel like it has more girth to the sound than a typical strat, but i only have this one so i haven't compared. pickups make a pretty big difference too...

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:05 am

i have a yamaha strat copy (a pacifica 112) that i use 12's w/a wrapped g on because i wanted the strings to feel a bit more similar to my acoustics, it has a more vintage style trem with the six screws mounting it to the body, and i have it blocked with some pine. there was a noticeable increase in sustain, and overall it just sound more substantial, and less like the cheap guitar it was when i bought it.
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:18 am

if i'm not gonna use the trem on a Strat i like to put in 4 or 5 springs and tighten the claw down for a sort of ghostly "sprong" in the background.

but sometimes i'll stick a bit of foam in there to mute the "sprong". :lol:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

micyourbrain
takin' a dinner break

Post by micyourbrain » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:53 am

comfortstarr wrote:
micyourbrain wrote:does it have the US Standard strat 2 point trem or the vintage style trem?
um... erm... I'm going to guess vintage style.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_ta ... etter.html
Curious if it works as advertised.
Yep that's the vintage style. I have a 2 point wilkinson trem that I have set up with a heavy duty spring tensioner (a big adjustable metal block versus a claw and 2 screws) on the back and locking gotoh kluson style tuners and a graphite nut. Good sustain and stays in tune pretty well. I don't use the trem but I really like bending hard and having the trem give a little. satisfyingly bouncy

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_ta ... emolo.html

with 12s it might be nice to have a little bending relief via trem. you can adjust it so that the trem sits touching the body lightly, and when you bend hard it will give a little and that would stay in tune alright I believe. You'll have to mess with the number of springs and how far the claw is out/in

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Re: Strat bridges impact on tone?

Post by roygbiv » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:54 pm

Yeah, what the others have said:

- 5 springs in the back. Increases the sustain, and more importantly, it doesn't go out of tune when you break a string in the middle of a song. And, you can still bend the strings down at the end of your massive gut-wrenching solo.

- Replace the vintage-style saddles with the block ones. Otherwise you'll shred the heel of your picking hand on those nasty little adjustable screw thingies that poke up through the vintage saddles.

BUT! If it is an older strat (like my '69), don't throw those vintage saddles away (like I did). 'Cause 20 years later you may want them (like I do) when your guitar is suddenly vintage, and you can't find any!

[BTW, anyone know a reputable place where I can get some '69 saddles for a Strat?]
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:25 am

I have an unblocked strat with only 3 springs. I have locking tuners on it which helps a bit. I still have a problem tuning though. I tend to go thru 2 or 3 times as I tune. Might end up blocking it. I rarely tremulate.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:46 am

sort of off subject, but...

i have a fender cyclone... it's basically a beefed up duo-sonic/strat hybrid, but the combination short scale/vintage strat tremolo made for a guitar that is impossible to use without five springs in the back. i only use 10s, but with the five springs and short scale, it stays in tune pretty well and has decent (could be better) sustain. I'd imagine doing this to a strat with even heavier strings would yield even better results.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:00 pm

I wish I understood half of this thread. Any one feeling kind enough to explain to me (or point me to good info about) springs and blocks?

I'm pretty guitar dumb. I just play the thing.