Another Step Away From Real Music

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

goldanimals
pluggin' in mics

Another Step Away From Real Music

Post by goldanimals » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:35 pm

Not sure if this has been posted up before/yet.

http://www.thedailyswarm.com/swarm/dire ... verything/

stompforfuzz
gettin' sounds

Post by stompforfuzz » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:01 am

someone posted a video demonstrating it. For us computer music folks, it seemed pretty exciting.

I agree that the digital world has seemed to slowly strip away the need for true performance, but for me I don't see a program that will "fake" through music (even though it sure will be used to make performers sound better than they are), I see something that gives me a new tool to twist up sounds in new ways. And as for making performers sound better than they are, haven't studios been doing that for years?

The ears of listeners are finicky, people get tired of that polished perfect sound - and that boredom gives birth to the need for the imperfect, twisted, the dirty, and the out of tune. No amount of "human feel" settings can make up for the perfect imperfections of a real performance. People can hear auto tune, people can hear the loops, the midi, the digital chill - and they like (liked) it for awhile. Some of my favorite styles of music are super processed, dissected and destroyed - and a slew of others never go near a computer when they're being recorded and mixed.

So, to sum things up - I'm gonna use the heck out of that program to see what sorts of musical perversion I can come up with. I can't imagine for a second though that it'll ever replace true musical performance - there will be always room for that.
tear out your heart and make them wear it around their neck so they'll understand

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:03 am

Yep. cool experiment/toy sound mangler. Unfortunately, it still doesn't sound right or good for what they're marketing it for.
Everything louder than everything else.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:55 am

Oh, no! That "real vs. fake" concept again!

It's all fake, unless you are talking about bird songs and coyotes howling and stuff. EVERYTHING is fake. That's what we humans do best.

I can't wait to horse around with, ahem, a so-called "demo" copy of that. Ahem.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:02 am

That's nothing!

I'm working on software called "Virtual Engineer". It will record and mix anything you want without you having to lift a finger, and saves you a ton of time you would normally have to spend listening to crappy musicians play music you hate. It has built in vocal and instrument tuning and even built in musicians for when the band passes out or gets so drunk or high they can't play their instruments.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:17 am

Tatertot wrote:Oh, no! That "real vs. fake" concept again!

It's all fake, unless you are talking about bird songs and coyotes howling and stuff. EVERYTHING is fake. That's what we humans do best.
Amen, as soon as you punch in or mult you're "faking it." We need to look at this (and other tools) not for what damage it can do in the hands of unscrupulous engineers and untalented musicians, but for how we noble practitioners might use it to advance our art. Hell, my brain's been swimming with ideas all morning about this thing.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:59 pm

Yay. Soon we will all be brains in jars renting server space from Google. Don't say I didn't warn you.

ETA: I can't believe I'm saying this, but imagine a guitar in 5.1 with this crap. Blargh. Its just stupid. I'm only playing my piano from now on.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:31 pm

* separates piano notes out of chords, isolates overtones and harmonics, creates entirely new piece *

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:58 pm

dwlb wrote:* separates piano notes out of chords, isolates overtones and harmonics, creates entirely new piece *
*sticks a 15 year old beat behind it*

*has the girl from across the street say her shopping list into the computer and creates all of the vocals from this*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:14 pm

* Has a HIT REKKID With Reffie *

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:52 pm

*tragically ODs on Coke...I mean Mountain Dew*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

stompforfuzz
gettin' sounds

Post by stompforfuzz » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:59 am

dwlb wrote:

Amen, as soon as you punch in or mult you're "faking it." We need to look at this (and other tools) not for what damage it can do in the hands of unscrupulous engineers and untalented musicians, but for how we noble practitioners might use it to advance our art. Hell, my brain's been swimming with ideas all morning about this thing.
Here, here
tear out your heart and make them wear it around their neck so they'll understand

Disasteradio
pushin' record

Post by Disasteradio » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:08 pm

man, the implications of this are so awesome it'll be worth putting up with all the homogenizing it'll surely be guilty of .. haha, someone needs to use that thing to fix the way mister announcer says "MIDI" at 3:50

stompforfuzz
gettin' sounds

Post by stompforfuzz » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:09 am

Ohhhhh... MIDI.

Sounds like he was saying meaty.

Well.. I guess he was.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:44 am

dwlb wrote:

Want "not fake"? One mic, in a room. No overdubs, edits, or punch-ins. Then call me. :P

Personally, it's just another tool. And the potential for mangling/new sounds is intriguing. Not to mention, say, the perfect guitar tone with that old funky guitar that, no matter how good it's set up, just doesn't intonate on all the chords. Would just fixing that intonation here and there really be "faking it".

Sure, as people have mentioned, Auto-Tune has affected even how people sing now. There are singers who now emulate the sound of auto-tuned vocals themselves...
So I suppose it's another step in that direction, possibly.

But, from day one of multi-tracking. Recording, even... fakery. If we wanna look at it that way.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.