UA Solo 610 what can ya tell me about it?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Huntlabs
pushin' record

UA Solo 610 what can ya tell me about it?

Post by Huntlabs » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:45 pm

I'm looking at a UA Solo 610 Mic Pre / Direct box. I was also considering the U5 Direct box. It's nice having a mic pre in the 610.

I'm really in love with my Great River MP-2MH. Great direct sounds and a great mic pre.

So I'm wondering what experience or thoughts others have had.

John
"Add water, makes its own sauce"

www.CRACKERTONES.com

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:31 am

I don't own one but I've used the 610 and 2-610 quite a bit. I like it alot but it is in no way neutral sounding. It either works on a source or doesn't. If you looking for one pre that will do everything the 610 is not the tool for the job. If you already have some work-horse pres and are looking for something with lots of color then it's a great one to add to your collection.

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Post by Huntlabs » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:46 am

I'm going to pick up the solo 610 and give it a test drive. I'm mainly looking for a bass DI but I'll see how it sounds on bass and with a few mics too.

I've heard really great things, again and again, about the Avalon U5 DI. So I may try to get my hands on a U5 too.

www.CRACKERTONES.com

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Post by Huntlabs » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:04 pm

So I picked up a Solo 610 and an Avalon U5. I checked them out side by side last night with a Fender P bass and a Strat. I was able to run into one and take the thru output into the other. Didn't seem to matter what order they were in.

Major differences:

The U5 has six passive eq's built into it or you can run no eq. EQ position 3 sounds very much like the Solo 610, in fact I couldn't tell the difference.

The Solo 610 is also a microphone preamp. The U5 only has 1/4 input - there is no mic preamp on the U5. To bad cause it would be a really cool preamp with mics. (Is there a mod?)

The 610 has a HiZ and LowZ switch. I haven't tried my old school HiZ mics in it yet but the U5 will work for HiZ too.

They are both solid DI's. For a pure DI I'd pick the U5. With no EQ it is a bit better, richer and fuller low end, than the 610 but not by too much. The 610 doesn't suck and works almost as well. The U5 with the EQ's really shines and adds a lot of flexibility. I got a good variety of Guitar and Bass sounds with the U5 and its EQ's. The 610 has one good Guitar and one good Bass sound.

The 610 is a great multi purpose box, mic pre / DI. The U5 just has more options for the DI role because of the 6 passive EQ selection. If the extra mic pre is a plus to have, get the 610. If you want a great DI box only, get the U5.

The 610 mic pre is nice. Didn't seem too colored to me at least compared to my older Great River. Fairly smooth and transparent. I still like my Amek and Great River pres better.

My initial $.02 - for whomever may stumble on this and find themselves in the same predicament.

www.CRACKERTONES.com

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:33 pm

Solo 610 probly won't have enough gain for most ribbon mics.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

charlievela
gettin' sounds

Post by charlievela » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:18 pm

The 610 made and AWESOME guitar DI. Just plug it in and crank the gain. Makes for a Harrison-esque distortion that's great for soloing.

www.myspace.com/theappleinthetree

Check out The Comfort for an example.

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:15 am

It's probably worth it spending a bit more to get a used M-610 or the 2-610. I really like the line amps and the broadband EQ on those things.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:52 am

I've owned a LA-610, M-610, and Solo 610 and the Solo was my least favorite. The M-610 is probably the best sound preamp, but LA-610 is much more flexible and the compressor is very useful, but it's slightly brighter than the M-610.

The Solo and M-610 are about the same price used, I highly recommend the M-610 for the money.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion