Still Think Reaper is just a passing Fad?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:51 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:Looks like Nuendo is the real deal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oa_3gFTwiw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVmNnF2nciU

See, here's a program that starts where Pro Tools does and goes further.
looks like your search is over, have fun!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:37 pm

Reaper needs a bar code and then it will be a legitimate app.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:51 pm

Tatertot wrote:Reaper needs a bar code and then it will be a legitimate app.
:lol:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:44 pm

Tatertot wrote:Reaper needs a bar code and then it will be a legitimate app.
knowwhatI'msayin'?

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:20 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:knowwhatI'msayin'?
not really, no.

jakerock
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jakerock » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:27 pm

1. Poor Grouping
It now has really good flexible grouping... as of...v2.5

2. Click the mouse on a channel line fader makes the fader jump to that position. God, that is woefully dangerous. IN one accidental move, there goes your balance!!!

Ctrl-Z, or pay attention to what you are doing.

3. Confusion in dragging and dropping tracks on the program for importing. Not that there is a quick way to do this in Pro Tools either- but the application ought to automatically create brand new channels for you corresponding to each audio track brought in- unless you specifically drag one in on an existing track.

It does exactly what you are saying. Im confused.

4. Is there an audio regions list hiding somewhere that I don't see?

You need a list?

5. No notation strip for level documentation

I dont even know what that is...

6. Channel representations to upper left have different features than main channel line faders.

Oh god.

7. The list goes on, I don't have time for something that does not instantly give me all of 'X' (in this case Pro Tools) as a minimum- regardless of whether it offers a few different features. No one wants to be slowed down.

Thats true, Reaper is really really hard to use and slow! See ya later...sucker!

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:36 pm

jakerock wrote: 4. Is there an audio regions list hiding somewhere that I don't see?

You need a list?

Not to side with hiero, but...YES. Fuck yes.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:37 pm

dwlb wrote:
dwlb wrote:* is still missing the 'passing fad' part *
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:55 pm

dwlb wrote:
jakerock wrote: 4. Is there an audio regions list hiding somewhere that I don't see?

You need a list?

Not to side with hiero, but...YES. Fuck yes.

+1
Plus I agree with Jeff regarding the fader. The fader should only move if I click, hold and move it. Yeah, I can undo but that's not ideal.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

jakerock
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jakerock » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:03 pm

The fader should move if you click anywhere on the screen and move the mouse, or on the actual fader?

This is just operator error, right? CTRL+Z damnit!!!!

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:28 pm

jakerock wrote:The fader should move if you click anywhere on the screen and move the mouse, or on the actual fader?

This is just operator error, right? CTRL+Z damnit!!!!
I'd prefer it if it only changed level if I click on the fader and move it not by clicking on the fader strip to have it jump to that spot. Level setting is kinda important and I like the extra safety of having to move it to where I want it.

damnit
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

jakerock
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jakerock » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:42 pm

Why are you clicking on the fader strip anyway?
Its a mistake, remedied by: CTRL+Z :)

OK im done now, I love Reaper, goodbye!

Tallisman
audio school

Post by Tallisman » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:20 am

Hi folks. I am a long time reader, but I can;t remember if I have ever posted here. I hope that the rest of this post is not viewed as unbridled
fanboi-ism, nor an attempt to convert anyone. I thought, though, that I would share a few things in response to several observations:
@?,*???&? wrote: 1. Poor Grouping
Grouping in reaper has recently received some love! We have access to 32 groups, and a track's behaviour within those groups is very flexible.

This facility wold be further improved if track selection was a bindable option as it would essentially give is edit groups, and if we could hide groups and tracks from the TCP.
@?,*???&? wrote:2. Click the mouse on a channel line fader makes the fader jump to that position. God, that is woefully dangerous. IN one accidental move, there goes your balance!!!
I would love to see this jump behaviour only happen if you drag below the fader rather than simply clicking there.

CTRL+Z does undo. If you are lucky enough to notice your error prior to releasing the mouse button, then press alt and your level(s) will return to where they were 9the alt thing is really great for trying volume and pan moves without committing to them). I would bet the farm, however, that after a week using the application, you'll probably find and instinctively hit the save track selection spots and not mess up your mix balance.

@?,*???&? wrote:3. Confusion in dragging and dropping tracks on the program for importing. Not that there is a quick way to do this in Pro Tools either- but the application ought to automatically create brand new channels for you corresponding to each audio track brought in- unless you specifically drag one in on an existing track.
That is the current behaviour in Reaper, and has been fro as long as I can remember :)
@?,*???&? wrote:4. Is there an audio regions list hiding somewhere that I don't see?
There is not, so stop looking! Actually there is a Plugin extension developers making some very cool add ons Xenakios has done some killer schtuff in this department:

and a batch renamer, and a soundframe-like database & trimmer... exciting stuff the plugins thing.

@?,*???&? wrote:5. No notation strip for level documentation
I am assuming that you are referring to the not bad at per channel in PT. Correct reaper lacks this and project notes don't make up for it.

@?,*???&? wrote:6. Channel representations to upper left have different features than main channel line faders.
I have no idea what you are referring to here, unless you are referring to the master channel when displayed in the TCP :D

many greetings

.t
it ain't no beans in ice cream. baby!

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:21 am

Thanks ,Tallisman. I love nice, reasoned replies. I'm sure he'll tell you himself but I think Jeff's gripe with grouping is the lack of obvious visual notification as to what tracks are grouped.
And I (sigh) agree with him again.

For the record I'm not trying to defend Jeff or pee on Reaper. I have had very little use of it so there may be things I'm missing from lack of familiarity. Just kicking the tires.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:18 am

I think of this every time i see the title of this thread:
Marty: But you don't feel these guys have an effect on an audience,
I mean, kids go to their concert they have a great time, uhh....
Limo driver: But it's...it's a passing thing...it's uh.... I mean I would
never tell them this but this is uh...this is a fad.
Prog out with your cog out.