Still Think Reaper is just a passing Fad?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:22 am

* is still missing the 'passing fad' part *
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:36 am

kronosonic wrote:Well, I'm comfortable with being an "asshole" -- I'll admit to being one occasionally.
me too!!
As for your productivity, how can I know it will increase it? It may not. If you're happy with what you use why switch? Why even concern yourself with an alternative. This was the root of the "bullshit" comment to begin with.
I'm honestly trying to figure out if Reaper would be a better option for me.
As for your state of residence and my wit, well, where do the bad jokes end?...(refer to sentence one)

:wink:
well, considering that we both live in states that lots of people make fun of, but that also have incredibly nice people, low cost of living, and great local music, I'd say the point is moot. ;)

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:39 am

I have been working with Reaper and it's nice. I hate learning a new GUI though. Learning requires use of brain cells. I think I'll eventually NOT keep using it, though, because the Tracktion 1-screen display of plugins is a hard habit to break.

kronosonic
takin' a dinner break

Post by kronosonic » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:52 am

subatomic pieces wrote:
kronosonic wrote:Well, I'm comfortable with being an "asshole" -- I'll admit to being one occasionally.
me too!!
As for your productivity, how can I know it will increase it? It may not. If you're happy with what you use why switch? Why even concern yourself with an alternative. This was the root of the "bullshit" comment to begin with.
I'm honestly trying to figure out if Reaper would be a better option for me.
As for your state of residence and my wit, well, where do the bad jokes end?...(refer to sentence one)

:wink:
well, considering that we both live in states that lots of people make fun of, but that also have incredibly nice people, low cost of living, and great local music, I'd say the point is moot. ;)
SP, another great feature of reap is you can try it for as long as you want without any limitations at all. "non-crippled" trial use. I didn't pay for it for quite a few months because, at the time, it was not as good as what I was using. Then, just before V 2 I felt that it had made sufficient progress and I could get done what needed to be done. And, obviously, it has matured well....and, amazingly, it's just barely 2 years old.

Which brings up a potential problem that may or may not be well-founded: I think it is highly likely that somebody will eventually offer Justin a lot of money like his previous project and the good old days will be long gone. the price will equilibrate with its value and the development will be handed over to a committee. Hell, I could imagine Steinberg paying him just to get it out of the picture. Like a govt. subsidy to not grow food. :( That would be bad for all of us as less competition leads to higher prices. I think it would be cool if all these platforms succeed and for everybody to find what works for them -- and for good business practices of one company to become the norm for others to follow.

Give it a shot. There is a learning curve but worth it I think.
http://myspace.com/infiniteegosavioronasis

A personal friend of the legendary Jean Pecan Hoe

dub3000
audio school graduate

Post by dub3000 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:24 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:so, guestimated percentages aside, what revolutionary features does Reaper offer that will so dramatically increase my productivity over the programs that I use now (Cubase, DP and PT)?
well, coming from a PT background, here are some of the things i like in reaper:

- it runs FAST on my machine (PC), rendering works great
- PDC that actually works
- built-in macro engine - bind any key to multiple actions, people are doing crazy stuff with this
- incredibly powerful routing
- internal plugin script engine - roll your own midi effects!
- the supplied plugins are pretty cool
- can arm tracks and hit record during playback - i put down a killer melody line when inspiration hit on the weekend thanks to this
- open APIs so people are adding cool plugins all the time (control surfaces, workspace managers etc)

it's still not perfect but it's pretty damn good, and it's my primary DAW now.

can't compare with cubase or DP tho, sorry

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:25 pm

I love me some subatomic motherfucking pieces.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:17 am

When is the "legit" OSX ver gonna be released? Anyone know if it will play well with a Metric Halo 2882?

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:44 am

Okay ... I am happy to announce that Reaper is now my go-to DAW. I had been stuck in Tracktion because of habit, but I am really liking Reaper's bigger capabilities. Also, I had previously mentioned that Tracktion's all-in-one-window plugin view was a hard habit to break. The other side of that coin: I was using WAY too many plugins with Tracktion because they were so easy to set up.

Other things I like: it normalizes tracks almost instantaneously, and it is way friendlier with my i/o. I also think it records higher-quality sound, but I have no way of proving that.

REAPER FTW!

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:37 am

How is reaper at recording lots of tracks at one time? Various reports of issues concerning this have concerned me.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:39 am

RodC wrote:How is reaper at recording lots of tracks at one time? Various reports of issues concerning this have concerned me.
Dunno. I would never set up for more than 3, since it's just me and the occasional confederate. However, on 1 or 2 inputs it is smooth as, you know, insert your favorite smooth simile here.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:13 pm

RodC wrote:How is reaper at recording lots of tracks at one time? Various reports of issues concerning this have concerned me.
If its any help, I routinely (every band practice) use Reaper to record 8 channels simultaneously (using an Aardvark 24 card in an old 2 GHz P4).

No problems. I've also done up to 12 with my second Aar24 card, but I don't do that very often.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:33 am

I've been enjoying using Reaper a lot. I like the default navigation key commands which remind me of a cross between Sound Forge and Adobe Premiere. (left-, right-arrow, cntrl-left arrow, S for split, M for marker). Track and time positioning is a little clunky -- I'm forever splitting the wrong track becuse I selected the right time a different place on the screen.

I hate the FX-routing interface though. Very abstracted with the big dialog box thing. I wish it was a little prettier and streamlined like Nuendo or what-have-you instead of the Sony Acid looking interface -- very clunky.

Aside from those couple of foibles, I'm definitely all over it.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:03 pm

Nope. Not sold on this yet.

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:40 pm

One thing reaper does well: Non standard multi-channel audio. Often I'll be designing sound for theatre and I need to set-up 8 or 12 speakers... Reaper allows e to create a giant buss with the plugs I need to process a 10 channel array.
Everything louder than everything else.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:10 am

dwlb wrote:* is still missing the 'passing fad' part *
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/