Still Think Reaper is just a passing Fad?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:30 am

inverseroom wrote:BTW, the Stumm201 theme is indispensible for Reaper, IMHO. Incredibly clear and professional looking.

http://www.tmeric.com/files/stumn201_v1_01.png
dang, i need to snag that.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:44 am

inverseroom wrote: That said, I agree that it's pointless to give a crap what other people think of your favorite DAW. I'm also not sure why you seemed so eager to piss on the dude's party.
Maybe because the tone of this thread is basically, "Reaper is awesome and your software is overpriced bloatware."
I'm not going to try and vouch for the MIDI implementation...I haven't even tried it yet and probably won't have a lot of use for it. That does seem to be the bugbear with a lot of otherwise excellent apps, though...Acid and Tracktion spring to mind.
And that's the reason why I haven't bothered with Reaper. MIDI is important to the work I do.

That and I still think it's kinda fugly. :)
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:53 am

Skins, my frind, skins!

BTW groover, nice score on the Voyager. Beautiful machine, I hope you make some great music with it.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:56 am

Dude, the Voyager is insanely sweet! I'm still on cloud nine with that one. Funny thing: I was using my Yamaha Motif ES rack for some "analog" type sounds on the recording we're working on. I found the same sounds on the Voyager and re-recorded the tracks using it.

Night and day. Total night and day.

The Voyager has soul!

Anyway, not to get too far off topic! Use the DAW that you are comfortable with and that helps you make music and what else is there to worry about?
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:33 pm

Maybe because the tone of this thread is basically, "Reaper is awesome and your software is overpriced bloatware."
Dudes, I must jump in here - that was not the intent of my original post (although I can see how it might be viewed that way).

I just wanted to share an article describing how the ownder/coder of Reaper (Justin Frankel) has a pretty stellar track-record at introducing paradigm shifting software - WinAmp, Gnutella, File-sharing, etc.

My thinking was - if Mr. Frankel's track record is any indication, Reaper (or a related offspring) is unlikely to disappear into the night anytime soon. In other words, good, cheap, powerful multi-track software is here to stay, and we (and DAW software companies) may as well get used to that concept. Hence the title of the OP.

Anyway, it is fascinating how DAW software does invoke such passion amongst users!

roy

PS - to accompany Inverseroom's excellent tutorial about assigning input/output in Reaper, I'll point out that you can easily assign recording routing options by 1) clicking on the Record button on the track, then 2) clicking in the armed track. Two clicks, I know, but still pretty simple.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

dub3000
audio school graduate

Post by dub3000 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:52 pm

since i've installed/registered reaper, i've only gone back to protools (le) to open old sessions.

such a nice piece of software. love the built-in effect scripting language!

Z MINOR SOUND
gettin' sounds

Post by Z MINOR SOUND » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:35 pm

Funny how reaper rhymes with cheaper, deeper, and keeper!

To me, the name reaper seems more synonymous with reaping the harvest than the grim reaper. The beauty of subjective perspective.

I have only exported stem files from cubase since making the switch.

It's definitely worth a try.
Don't forget to breath.

chris j
audio school

Post by chris j » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:19 am

I picked up Reaper a few months ago and........ It freakin rocks!!! Ive used Protools for 9 years , hell Im certified through them. I use reaper to do all my mixes lately. I will record in protools still but if i could figure out how to make reaper see my protools hardware that will end all. Not having to bounce down mixes in real time to just run them out to my car is god sent

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:56 pm

inverseroom wrote:BTW, the Stumm201 theme is indispensible for Reaper, IMHO. Incredibly clear and professional looking.

http://www.tmeric.com/files/stumn201_v1_01.png
Yeah, that is nice...

TheForgotten
gettin' sounds

Post by TheForgotten » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:17 pm

chris j wrote: I will record in protools still but if i could figure out how to make reaper see my protools hardware that will end all.
Go post a question in the forum.
I could've sworn someone said they were rockin' some sort of digi stuff with Reaper.

Paul Fury 161
gettin' sounds

Post by Paul Fury 161 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:25 pm

Hi,

Not sure about anything after , but Digi 001 works fine with Reaper - just get that Digi MME helper app (it lets you add programs to the registry enty for the digi 001), and reaper.exe. Works great for me. Gives your 001 a whole new lease of life - vst plugs/softsynths, and plugin delay compensation, unlimited tracks/bussing - what's not to like?

DEFINITELY worth a look IMO.

Take it easy all,

Paul
"These mixes are really great. I only want to re-record all the guitars and vocals - can I have the masters please?"

www.myspace.com/extinguishher

mrufino1
pushin' record

Post by mrufino1 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:43 am

Digi hardware should be fine with reaper- digi has an asio driver, don't they? It's been a while since I had digi hardware, but I seem to remember that coming out. Also, for the person that was worried about assigning inputs- did you check out the routing matrix? When I first switched from protools, one of my major sticking points was losing the ability to assign inputs and outputs across many channels quickly, but when I was pointed towards the routing matrix, after about 5 minutes I realized how flexible this is and how easy to use. PLus, you can add tracks and inputs as it is recording, which is handy for live recording, when that "surprise guest" jumps onstage!

Paul Fury 161
gettin' sounds

Post by Paul Fury 161 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:47 am

Hi again,

The Digi MME Helper can be downloaded from here;
(Scroll down to see the relevant section).

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?lan ... emid=23087

The digi asio driver is not multi client, so it can be a little fussy, but if you only run one app at a time (or one app and rewired apps) it'll be fine.

Works great for me.

Paul
"These mixes are really great. I only want to re-record all the guitars and vocals - can I have the masters please?"

www.myspace.com/extinguishher

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:35 am

All I'm wondering is, did anyone actually say Reaper was just a passing fad?
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Alex Netick
takin' a dinner break

Post by Alex Netick » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:11 am

I haven't used it, but the idea sounds pretty appealing. I've used other software legitimately, and have been insulted more than once with upgrade/dongles hassles. If I get into software again, it's going to be a complany with a different ethos, and Reaper is on my short list.