Still Think Reaper is just a passing Fad?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Still Think Reaper is just a passing Fad?

Post by roygbiv » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:47 am

For your enjoyment - a human interest story about Justin, the guy behind Reaper (found it over at the Reaper forum):

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/ ... erous_geek

A bit of a fluff-piece, but notice the date on the article pre-dates Reaper by about 2 years! Apparently Reaper is what he's been doing since then. Gotta love the punk rock ethos - I'm sure Joe Strummer would approve.

I knew he was supposed to be a hot-shit coder, but jeez - all that by the age of 24. I feel so inadequate now :cry:

Anyway, he's certainly someone who is either a true paradigm shifter, or at least someone very good at spotting, and catching, and riding the coming waves.

Either way, I'm guessing he's not real popular with CEO's at overpriced computer audio recording software companies these days.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:02 am

I've been trying out Reaper for the last couple of days and it's great. I usually use Digital Performer on a Mac, and I'm still amazed at how simple Reaper is. It does everything that I need DP to do and in a quicker, more intuitive way. If Reaper came out for the Mac, I'd be tempted to ditch DP.

I'm originally a Mac user because I don't like to think about computer stuff. I just want to use it like an appliance. My iBook gave out and I couldn't drop $1500 on a new laptop, so I bought a Windows machine for $500 convinced it would blow up every 10 minutes. Lo and behold it works like a charm.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:32 am

Reaper is slowly but surely pulling me away from Cubase, that's for sure.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

kronosonic
takin' a dinner break

Post by kronosonic » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:05 pm

Randy wrote:I've been trying out Reaper for the last couple of days and it's great. I usually use Digital Performer on a Mac, and I'm still amazed at how simple Reaper is. It does everything that I need DP to do and in a quicker, more intuitive way. If Reaper came out for the Mac, I'd be tempted to ditch DP.

I'm originally a Mac user because I don't like to think about computer stuff. I just want to use it like an appliance. My iBook gave out and I couldn't drop $1500 on a new laptop, so I bought a Windows machine for $500 convinced it would blow up every 10 minutes. Lo and behold it works like a charm.
You won't have to wait much longer for Reap on Mac. 8)
http://myspace.com/infiniteegosavioronasis

A personal friend of the legendary Jean Pecan Hoe

TheForgotten
gettin' sounds

Post by TheForgotten » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:34 pm

kronosonic wrote:
Randy wrote:I've been trying out Reaper for the last couple of days and it's great. I usually use Digital Performer on a Mac, and I'm still amazed at how simple Reaper is. It does everything that I need DP to do and in a quicker, more intuitive way. If Reaper came out for the Mac, I'd be tempted to ditch DP.

You won't have to wait much longer for Reap on Mac. 8)
You can get the preview build if you look through the forums.

mangoose
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mangoose » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:27 pm

reaper-definitely an amazing accomplishment. but i'm not a fan of the interface, it's too much like Sonar or Sony Vegas. I use digital performer, love the way it's laid out and the depth of the program.

reaper still feels a little rough around the edges to me, but ill still give it a retry when it comes out for mac, as a cheap DAW i can recommend to friends who don't know what they are doing but want to collaborate on a recording.

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:51 pm

I've been using betas of Reaper for the Mac since... Well, for quite a while.

I use my MacBook for remote tracking... It has yet to let me down. I don't think it's (and keep in mind that it's "just a beta") ever crashed or otherwise let me down in any way.

I can't say that for any other program I've used on the Mac... Not even "bullet-proof" cheapies/freebies like Audacity up to and including the Sonic and Bias stuff.
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

MidiMonk
audio school graduate

Post by MidiMonk » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:01 am

Reaper is a blast, i use it on my bootcamp side for now(cannot wait for the OSX version got $$$ in hand).The routing capability is a dream com true, reliability is far better than Logic Pro 7.2.3 and to think I disliked this software at first...
"Everything proceeds as if of its own accord, and this can all too easily tempt us to relax and let things take their course without troubling over details. Such indifference is the root of all evil."

-I Ching

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:17 am

OKAY here we go: I am almost exclusively using Tracktion 2 and I merely self-record with a bit of MIDI for keyboard parts etc. My only gripe about Tracktion 2 is that the MIDI editor is clumsy, sort of, although I'm pretty well used to it by now.

I've looked at Reaper in the past and will reinstall the newest one today to see what all the fuss is about.

Is Reaper likely to improve my life? Opinions please.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Re: Still Think Reaper is just a passing Fad?

Post by roygbiv » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:05 am

Tatertot wrote:
Is Reaper likely to improve my life? Opinions please.

Yes Tater- for example, after using Reaper, she will love you more than any other guy, as you amaze her with your Python.

Besides that, you will likely find that once you are hooked on the routing options in Reaper, you won't want to turn back.

It's like having a super-duper cool-guy JH level digital board/patch bay. Laid out in a very analogue way, so not too much head scratching is required to use it, once you Grok the Workflow (TM).
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

tummymondo
audio school graduate

Post by tummymondo » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:31 am

reaper's ability to export all tracks from the start is making it my #1 choice for laptop recording (and then editing on my desktop with a program i'm more knowledgable in for the moment).

leigh
carpal tunnel

Re: Still Think Reaper is just a passing Fad?

Post by leigh » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:37 am

roygbiv wrote:It's like having a super-duper cool-guy JH level digital board/patch bay.
JH =
"Joel Hamilton"?
"James Hetfield"?
"Jesus H."?

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:15 am

i agree i hate the interface. if it had an interface like cubase SX 3 i would be more willing to use it.

Winstontaneous
takin' a dinner break

Post by Winstontaneous » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:57 pm

It took 3 or 4 tries with different versions of Reaper for me to click with it, but I like it. The default interface is pretty ugly and feels kind of cheap, but there are a ton of free skins you can download at the site. Also I think that between screensets and the tab-ability of windows it's got one of the better systems for reducing desktop clutter.

I'm still hoping for more MIDI/looping features but it's very useful for audio recording. It's a small install and has a light CPU load compared to many other Window$ hosts I've used. Built in FX are good, as is the item FX feature and routing matrix.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:53 pm

I *really* like the program... For what I use it for -- tracking -- it sounds great, and I can create new tracks and keep the motor running very quickly and simply... I gotta say, though, that I fucking hate the name... You might be able to say that Reaper means "reap what you sow", but then there's the icon with the scyth blade... Very grim reaper, death-centric. Why the darkness? I don't get it. It would be like naming a car Redrum, and having the logo a splash of blood...