Another night as a house soundguy... Sigh.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tommy
steve albini likes it

Post by tommy » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:59 am

Um...should they not encourage people to buy their CD or come to their next show either? What's wrong with plugging the website?
Oh it's not for me to say what any band wants to say on stage but for whatever reason I cringe whenever I hear "thank you very much! Check out our myspace page at www....".

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:10 pm

I'm too old to see any value in MySpace as a social network. But, I'm not ashamed to say that I think that it's probably the best thing that came along for bands since Kinkos. I know a lot of crusty, bitter audiophile types hate it because they'd rather listen to "sounds" than "music". And, I know a lot of budding recordists who hate it because they think that the myspace player is the reason that their mixes sound bad. So, I get it that there's somewhat of a stigma. But, I'm not buying it. And, I'm not ashamed. I think that MySpace is an unbelievable tool. I'm not embarrassed to say into a microphone that "we're Subatomic Pieces. and, you can check us out on Myspace."

It probably does actually go without saying that these days though, that any band who gives a shit at all about being accessible to the audience that they're trying to reach, is going to be on myspace.

tommy
steve albini likes it

Post by tommy » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:23 pm

I totally think myspace is a great tool for bands too. It puts the power back into the musicians hands to control and change content at will and not have to rely on a web designer to do everything. Plus all the online traffic is hard to deny.
Plugging it on stage just kinda bugs me personally thats all.

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:01 am

Yeah it's funny, selling from the stage - whether it's a website, cd's, shirts, or future shows - can be done really poorly by some people. But I've seen it done well, (in fact just tonight), and of course it's a necessity for any band that's trying to pay their bills with music.

If I had to make a broad generalization, I guess it would be that if the pitch is made with some kind of humor I like it. If it seems too mercenary or desperate I get turned off. This is even true of bands who talk about needing the money to buy gas to get to the next gig. If they sound desperate I always want to go up and suggest that they would have more money if they had been more conservative in their merch ordering. (I have never said this, and therefore I haven't had any teeth knocked out yet.)

dontfeartheringo
audio school graduate

Post by dontfeartheringo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:02 am

cgarges wrote:Let me say that Roboburger is one of the best live sound guys I've ever had the pleasure of working with on any stage in any country.
I've played more live shows than the douchebags in this band have had HOT MEALS.

Curt has always been top flight, a true professional, a gentleman and a guy I'd introduce my sister to.

The singer for this band is hurtling towards the obscurity he so richly deserves. This brief blip of notoriety is a momentary distraction from this inexorable descent.

He owes Curt a steak, a beer and a cigar for even bringing his petulant little outburst to the attention of greater public. This will be the peak, such as it is, of his fame.

See you in a couple of weeks, Curt.

-patrick
drums
five-eight, et al.
there'll always be money and whores and drunkards
down to the last bomb,
but as God said,
crossing his legs,
I see where I have made plenty of poets
but not so very much
poetry.

--Charles Bukowski

rpmsongs
gettin' sounds

Post by rpmsongs » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:40 am

"cutting edge" rofl. also, hello from roswell. a year later. ha.

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:54 am

The part that pisses me off the most of is that the "noise guy" only has a phototheremin and a delay pedal! :roll:

rpmsongs
gettin' sounds

Post by rpmsongs » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:47 pm

the thing that pisses me off about this is everything, except the script
MC hammer just borrowed 5 bucks from me, I don't think i'll ever see that money again.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:55 pm

every single video you posted (including the girl) makes me want to drop a bomb on the world. Humanity at its worst...

If that was at the venue I work at, the boss would lose his shit, kick them out and probably have the bouncers kicker their ass. I thought I have done sound for some bad band but damn...

rpmsongs
gettin' sounds

Post by rpmsongs » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:55 am

I've been to the earl hundreds of times and i've never seen anything like this happen, it certainly seems to be a rare occurrence. but definitely hilarious.
MC hammer just borrowed 5 bucks from me, I don't think i'll ever see that money again.