Tape Warmth, Sidebands, & Artificial Modulation

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lightandmind
pushin' record

Tape Warmth, Sidebands, & Artificial Modulation

Post by lightandmind » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:44 pm

"It has even been known for engineers to artificially increase the amount of modulation noise by unbalancing one of the rollers, thus creating more stronger sidebands containing a greater range of frequencies"

I caught an article that seemed interesting to me, http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=29, and I wondered what your thoughts on the validity of these statements, whether or not anyone has had any luck with a multitrack mod like this, and how one might go about performing it.

- :twisted:

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:50 pm

The site is down, but I don't trust the thing you quoted.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:06 am

Unbalancing a roller on a tape machine? Like, adjusting the height? That would surely cause transport/tape path problems - and possibly uneven head wear and/or tape damage. Unbalancing as in making it out-of-round would add wow or flutter. So, until that site comes back up and I can read more, I'm with drumsound. I don't buy it.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:00 am

here is the context:
There are many digital simulations of the analog tape sound - hardware units and plug-ins - but most simulate only the distortion characteristics of analog, and sometimes a little of the noise. But analog recording is far more complex than that. For instance, there is modulation noise.

Modulation noise is noise that changes in level as the signal level changes. This is a separate effect to the constant background hiss that is audible in any analog recording. Modulation noise has two main causes...

One is Barkhausen noise which is produced by quantization of the magnetic domains (quickly glossing over a complex technical phenomen in five words...).

The other - more significant - cause of modulation noise is irregularities in the speed of tape travel. These irregularities are themselves caused by eccentricity and roughness in the bearings and other rotating parts, and by the tape scraping against the static parts.

We some times hear of the term 'scrape flutter', which creates modulation noise, and the 'flutter damper roller', which is a component used in better machines to minimize the problem.

If a 1 kHz sine wave tone is recorded onto analog tape, the output will consist of 1 kHz plus two ranges of other frequencies, some strong and consistent, others weaker and ever-changing due to random variations.

These are known in radio as 'sidebands' and the concept has exactly the same meaning here.

Modulation noise, subjectively, causes a 'thickening' of the signal which accounts for the fat sound of analog, compared to the more accurate, but thin sound of digital.

It has even been known for engineers to artificially increase the amount of modulation noise by unbalancing one of the rollers, thus creating more stronger sidebands containing a greater range of frequencies.

Don't try it with your hard disk!
:roll:

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:15 am

"more stronger".

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:44 am

FWIW, the link works for me, just needed to fix up the formatting from the OP:

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=29

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:16 pm

I like how the blurb says how flutter stabilizing devices help fix a problem then go on to say "flutterizing" is what makes it sound even better..

it doesn't seem like this was written by a person who has a grasp of tape recording science..99.9% of us don't really either..

but

it sort of explains why tape is "fat"..though not very well..I guess frequency modulation and the resulting sidebands *could* be considered the main certain je ne sais quoi of analog tape recording..

they could have just wrote:

tape sounds "fat" because it is a device which causes more distortion than any other modern recording device we have..

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:21 pm

record-producer.com is one of the worst pro audio websites around.

Please don't link there!

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:51 pm

Smacks of.... something. Something not so good.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Tape Warmth, Sidebands, & Artificial Modulation

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:10 pm

lightandmind wrote:
"It has even been known for engineers to artificially increase the amount of modulation noise by unbalancing one of the rollers, thus creating more stronger sidebands containing a greater range of frequencies"

I caught an article that seemed interesting to me, http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=29, and I wondered what your thoughts on the validity of these statements, whether or not anyone has had any luck with a multitrack mod like this, and how one might go about performing it.

- :twisted:
I like that the guy who wrote it is "attempting" to explain something, but to me he fails miserably.

Most of the time when I was recording onto tape, we always attempted to avoid hearing those symptoms by servicing a bad tape machine regularly. these symptoms are a BAD thing.

And I think the writer does not yet grasp tape technical terms well yet.

I suggest you go and talk to someone like Studer, they do actually answer the phone over there, and have great technicians that are willing to talk ALL DAY about techie stuff. They'll definitely guide you in the right direction.

Cheers

lightandmind
pushin' record

Post by lightandmind » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:19 pm

Thanks for reposting the link,
Yeah, looked pretty fishy to me also, heince my posting.
Thanks fellas.

Anyone want to list a few of the many factors that result in the artifacts we find on tape, (vs. sterile digital), and what one might do to exaggerate the differient aspects of these artifacts?

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:15 pm

harmonic distortion.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:41 pm

nonharmonic distortion

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:50 pm

lightandmind wrote:Thanks for reposting the link,
Yeah, looked pretty fishy to me also, heince my posting.
Thanks fellas.

Anyone want to list a few of the many factors that result in the artifacts we find on tape, (vs. sterile digital), and what one might do to exaggerate the differient aspects of these artifacts?
Hi,

It's not only the tape itself, it also is the record amplifiers and repro amplifiers. And also the heads, how wide the gaps are, how wide the channel is on tape, how "strong" your magnetize the tape.

I could go on and on and on... but now I just use digital, and distort the signals in other ways.

Here's one :

Use an tube mic preamplifier, and run it on a tad lower voltage. If you have a genuine Variac, you can power a pair of tube mic preamp channels, and with a meter, reduce the running voltage just a little, like 5 to 20 volts less. this can sometimes do it. Similar to the "brown sound" on EVHs records, but using a mic preamplifier instead of a Marshall head. Same principle anyways. You get a duller, "fatter" wider distortion.

Don't use solid state mic preamps, they wont run well, as you'll have to reduce the voltage a lot less, and the results can be unpredictalbe...ie not good.

Cheers

msmith
pushin' record

Post by msmith » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:19 pm

fossiltooth wrote:record-producer.com is one of the worst pro audio websites around.

Please don't link there!
I have to qgree...More half truths than my ex-girlfriend...