What do you all think of Infinity speakers?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

What do you all think of Infinity speakers?

Post by Judas Jetski » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:50 pm

Yeah, they're home stereo stuff. For my home stereo. I need something that's going to give me a decent idea of what my music sounds like "in the field" rather than just in my studio, but I don't want something that's just going to sound awful. I've already got the awful part taken care of.

What I've got is two pair that need re-foaming: a reference E-1 (4" cone) and RS 3001 (6" cone). It's going to set me back about $120 to have them all taken care of.

I've also got a pair of reference 2000.1 speakers. They're on the stereo now and exhibit a huge peak in the low-mids. My monitor setup has a huge dip in the low mids, so when I get some better speakers for the stereo the 2000.1's are going in the studio for reference monitors.

Anyway, what do you folks think about Infinity stuff? Does anyone know anything in particular about these speakers in particular? Are they reasonably flat, or do they color the sound a ton?
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:02 pm

My dad's had Inifinity speakers since the '70s. Same pair. He likes them but liked them more once we put them up on GRAMMAs. With the speakers decoupled from the floor, he now is much much happier with the low end response.

I also think they sound very nice.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:57 pm

I've got 2001's (I think) in the home office/"mastering room" (too late to go check now.) Had 'em since '89 or so. They are a known reference for me, and even though their bottom end is a little lacking, I can use them for serious decisions if need be. But that's 'cause I know them so well, I assume.

I really like 'em.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

firby
takin' a dinner break

Post by firby » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:48 am

I have QLS1's in my Kitchen. They are great. 155LBs a piece and 5'10. 16 drivers a piece ribbon tweeters pulling in around 400 watts a piece.
They are big and beautiful man.
I'm a bad man!

KFledman
ass engineer

Post by KFledman » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:26 am

I have 2 pairs of Infinity RS 200xs [not exactly sure which # the two pair are; they are two different sets]. 1st pair were my wife's that I got out of storage years ago; 2nd pair I bought off craigslist for $50 and did the refoam myself......it was easy enough to do were you may want to just buy a refoaming kit and do it yourself]. I like the speakers a lot. Not sure about the overall freq response, but my space isn't exactly ideal either......incidentally, when i switched ampflifiers a few years back the overall sound really opened up as well....
anyway, i am very happy with the infinity speakers as my reference monitors, however i do not have to deal with visiting engineers and their opinions.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:31 pm

I have been thinking of re-foaming them myself, but at the moment I'm a pretty busy guy. Re-foaming--what's involved in all'o'that?

Thanks, everyone, for the input BTW.

:D

www.andysmash.com

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:19 am

Andy Smash wrote:I have been thinking of re-foaming them myself, but at the moment I'm a pretty busy guy. Re-foaming--what's involved in all'o'that?

Thanks, everyone, for the input BTW.

I refoamed a set of Advent Prodigy speakers using refoaming kits bought off ebay. If you search you'll find sellers with tons of different kits. You could ask them to recommend the correct kits for your speakers.

I thought refoaming was incredibly easy. It turned out great and I have no prior experience. I just followed the enclosed directions.

If you decide to go this route and want more specific info just PM me.

BTW I use the Infinity 2000.3 reference speakers along with NS-10s, and the Advent Prodigy speakers for my monitor set-up. It works well. You can see my monitor set-up in a pic on my website.
Last edited by linus on Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my website for cool songs recorded and played by me with Steve Goulding of the Mekons on drums. Drums were recorded by our own Joel H at Studio G.
www.linusNYC.com

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:11 pm

My first home studio setup back in the early 90's I used medium sized Infinity consumer bookshelf monitors (forget the model #) powered by a Marantz amp and a lot of the mixes I did then actually translated pretty decently considering the limits of my equipment and room then.

When I was at Europadisk the mastering monitors were huge Infinity RS4.5's:

The bass response on those things was incredible - and they had really extended high range. Fairly accurate - although I think the 1kHz to 3kHz range was a little relaxed by maybe a dB. The ribbons on the EMIT tweeters and EMIM mid range drivers were definitely starting to show some wear by the time Europadisk closed - so I'm actually a lot happier with my current B&W N802's.

Anyway - I think the smaller of the RS line could actually make for some cool full range main monitors if you're on a budget as you can find them for relatively pretty cheap on a place like Audiogon - http://www.audiogon.com - but I'd be cautious with these as the EMIT & EMIM drivers are really hard to source now and they can definitely wear out after years of use.

I don't have that much experience with Infinity's other stuff - and their line is huge with everything from low end consumer to high end audiophile speakers - so best thing is to audition the specific speakers you're looking at for yourself prior to getting them.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:50 pm

Cellotron wrote: Anyway - I think the smaller of the RS line could actually make for some cool full range main monitors if you're on a budget as you can find them for relatively pretty cheap....
Well, I paid $5 for my RS 3001's.

Of course, there's no foam in them whatsoever. We plugged them in and laid them on their back to make sure they still worked. They did, so I figure they're worth fixing... I'm gonna call the shop tonight, and see if they'll just sell me the refoaming kits. I figure I can test my skills on the smaller speakers, and if it goes well do the larger one as well. The larger one will need to match the other larger one, so I think this will be the fussier job of the two.

www.andysmash.com

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:05 pm

A couple of cool resources online in case you're not aware of them:

Tons of info on vintage Infinity here:
http://www.bobbyshred.com/infinity.html

http://www.davidsaudio.com/html/infinity_.html

refoaming service here:
http://www.watkinsstereo.com/

Best regards,
Steve Berson

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:33 am

I just got some Infinity Kappa 6's (emit k tweeter, polydome midrange, 8" woofer) for my living room, and while I really like the high end, the midrange also seems a bit lacking somewhere around 2-2.5khz, and a little unfocused (in terms of imaging). I kind of want another 2db there. So I'm bidding on some Dynaudio midrange drivers to swap in and see if that improves things... if that ends up solving the problem, I might just have to take them to the studio. The high end is really sweet and soft, very much unlike my Tannoy System 10'...

Thanks for the infinity links. Here's another: http://www.infinity-classics.de/infinit ... -Kappa.htm

(this is the kappa page, but look around)
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:06 pm

I've heard these are pretty "kick ass" speakers...

I remember seeing this as a kid and ohhingg and ahhinng over them. Definitely NOT in the "less is more" camp. Seperate bass tower with 2000 watt amplifiers, and a matching tower with 12 mid-range drivers and 36 tweeters (including twelve in the back of the speaker!). Ahhh, the 80's decadance... 8)

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm