The Wetest Wet of Wet Reverb

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kRza.
pushin' record

The Wetest Wet of Wet Reverb

Post by kRza. » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:00 am

so I'm listening to my new recording...thinking "Hot damn, you've made one really cool....really wet sounding recording".

THEN....I put on "Release Of an Oath" by the electric prunes. The tune "holy are you", makes me revisit the entire process.

My thought is.....
How do you go about emulating the reverb processes of "old" with current DAW...or home recording set ups? I've got amazing plugs / outboard gear....but without waxing nostalgic, how would you go about putting the verb in the mix to get this effect?!....?.

Hazelwood recordings. Cash vocals.....the verb is insane and the plates are so thick. God help me I want to throw my computer in the street.

less wine......back to the mix.
xo

stompforfuzz
gettin' sounds

Post by stompforfuzz » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:06 am

For super ultra wet I like to drop my mics into fishtanks. I found this out accidentally when I tried to get some fresh vox from my pet turtle. I scrapped the vox since he was always coming in a beat or so too slow. But, at least I discovered a cool new technique.
tear out your heart and make them wear it around their neck so they'll understand

kRza.
pushin' record

Post by kRza. » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:12 am

i'm sending out scrotum punches to you. I ask real questions...fuck your turtles...

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:18 am

Don't hate a brutha's turtle homie!
Everything louder than everything else.

stompforfuzz
gettin' sounds

Post by stompforfuzz » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:28 am

wow dude, I just came back to give you a real answer and now I'm not so inclined to give you one. Just makin a joke!

Since you've been having a bit of wine and you're suffering some frustration, I'll let it slide.

Here is what I do to get a little more "space" from my reverb plug-ins. (when used in conjunction with the outboard, you can add a bit more). I'll double (triple, quadruple whatever) the tracks, no offset, and apply the same reverb to each track. Then, I'll adjust the parameters slightly for each track being carefull not to simply muddy the sound.

You can do the same with the outboard stuff I bet although I've never tried.

Best way to get great reverb? Find a stone church and record there - use as many mics as you can afford placed about the space =)
tear out your heart and make them wear it around their neck so they'll understand

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:30 am

pre-delay is your friend.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:04 am

syrupcore wrote:pre-delay is your friend.
+1

Do you have a big empty-ish space in you home? Pump the sound to a speaker in a resonant space (with soe pre-delay) and record it back into the DAW. Actual reverb baby.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:12 am

Reverb is really coming back into fashion these days. The dual influences of that PBJ record and neo-shoegaze are strong.

If you work on a computer just buy altiverb already. Bam. Done.

If you don't use a computer, get a Roland Space Echo, an AKG BX10 (or BX20) and a real EMT 140 or 240 plate. Oh yeah, and you should also get one of those digital EMT 250s and an AMS. They kill. Let's hear it for early digital reverbs! That would be a good start, and should cover most of your bases.

Or you could just buy a computer and altiverb.

It would be far less expensive, and you'd have more reverbs that sound just as good but have completely tweakable predelays and decay times.

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:07 pm

Turn your reverb (I use just one outboard Lexicon as my master reverb, everything except verby amps gets sent there at least a little) up till it fits but is way too full frequency-wise. EQ it, cut a frequency range or two till is sits right but is still too loud, then turn it down a bit and increase your pre-delay a bit. And listen to Panda Bear's Person Pitch and there are full songs here http://www.myspace.com/rippityrippity .
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:12 pm

Is stompforfuzz's avatar jumping around like that because of some recent scrotum punches?

kRza.
pushin' record

Post by kRza. » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:29 pm

twas joking about the turtle fuckin' scrote lover. No hate for your shelled friend.

Predelay IS the thing.

the altiverb EMT plate is the closest thing I've come too....but still ain't quite there. I'm using some outboard springs along with and getting close.
I had a breakthrough by hearing the compression of the 1/4"....the single most noticeably enhancing thing I've done on this project!

And yeah...I'm noticing more verb. I guess it seems to be trendy lately - but I'm too old to know what a PBJ is. This sour grape quit caring about modern music too long ago...sadly.

aeijtzsche
gettin' sounds

Post by aeijtzsche » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:24 pm

Anybody know if Altiverb has ever considered doing an outboard box featuring the sampled reverbs for those of us who don't do the computer thing?

Along with agreeing about pre-delay, it helps when you really dial in the decay times and the appropriate wetness.

Like, a bigger "room" with a long delay time only contributing a 20% wet signal can feel wetter than a 90% wet signal with a shorter delay time.

stompforfuzz
gettin' sounds

Post by stompforfuzz » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:38 am

I'll have to give the Altiverb a try...

And yes, my avatar is actually a webcam shot of me receiving scrotal abuse. It hurts, ya know?

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:10 am

Arrangement is critical for big reverb. You need to make sure the instrumentation is deliberately occupying the right spaces before you crank the verb.

stompforfuzz
gettin' sounds

Post by stompforfuzz » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:48 am

kayagum wrote:Arrangement is critical for big reverb. You need to make sure the instrumentation is deliberately occupying the right spaces before you crank the verb.
I'm a noob - I don't really understand what you mean. Can you elaborate?