recommend an incredibly colored, affordable mono mic pre

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

DinosaurSR
gimme a little kick & snare

recommend an incredibly colored, affordable mono mic pre

Post by DinosaurSR » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:52 pm

I love ridiculously weird and colored mic pres, and I'd like to find a cheap one - $500 or cheaper - with a lot of personality. I'd like a transformer that I can drive to get different amounts of color and saturation if possible.

Even something salvaged, like a nagra preamp or something someone built would be fine.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:59 pm

I got a used UA m610 for $650, but you should be able to pick up a Solo 610 for about $500. I wouldn't call them weird, but certainly colored.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

blunderfonics
pushin' record

Post by blunderfonics » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:40 pm

If you can find a Berlant Concertone preamp that has been fitted with the mic input and output transformers it would definitely suit your description. These were the front end for 50's reel-to-reel recorders. The transformers were optional and when they show up on ebay they are usually missing, but you never know what you'll find. If you are electronically inclined you could probably sub in something fairly easily. They are dark and tubey sounding (probably due to all the tubes) and can be overdriven nicely, plus they have they have a big honkin' VU meter that looks way cool.

DinosaurSR
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by DinosaurSR » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:41 pm

blunderfonics wrote:If you can find a Berlant Concertone preamp that has been fitted with the mic input and output transformers it would definitely suit your description. These were the front end for 50's reel-to-reel recorders. The transformers were optional and when they show up on ebay they are usually missing, but you never know what you'll find. If you are electronically inclined you could probably sub in something fairly easily. They are dark and tubey sounding (probably due to all the tubes) and can be overdriven nicely, plus they have they have a big honkin' VU meter that looks way cool.
This is basically the type of answer that I was dreaming of in this thread, so if anyone has anymore suggestions like this, hook it up!

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:12 pm

You can get a racked up PM1000 from digitaldrummer for under $500. You could also look into the Hamptone or Seventh Circle kits. Maybe a Groove Tubes brick?

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:45 pm

There an old Urei test pre that keeps showing up on ebay that seems to be selling consistently around $100 to $150.

Totally solid state, but looks promising.

jaguarsg
pushin' record

Post by jaguarsg » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:27 pm

ampex 601.

brownplus
studio intern

berlant for sale

Post by brownplus » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:56 pm

theres a berlant for sale on ebay this very minute (not mine)
for a good price too, with the trans
i can't look back at all the stuff i sold...its like looking back at worldcom stock sold the day after

small amps. big strings and single coils

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:37 pm

jaguarsg wrote:ampex 601.
Yep, but not as colored as you woul think.
Maybe get an EH12AY7 and try some really "wrong" tubes in it. get some old used beat up tubes and go nuts wth that thing. find any old transformers you can find (audio) and try them on the I and the O.

That is going to be my next thing... collecting some crazy weird cheap old audio xformers from obscure stuff, and rack them up ust to run through them.

transformers + lots of level = non moving tape... ;)

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:23 pm

joel hamilton wrote:
jaguarsg wrote:ampex 601.
Yep, but not as colored as you woul think.
Maybe get an EH12AY7 and try some really "wrong" tubes in it. get some old used beat up tubes and go nuts wth that thing. find any old transformers you can find (audio) and try them on the I and the O.

That is going to be my next thing... collecting some crazy weird cheap old audio xformers from obscure stuff, and rack them up ust to run through them.

transformers + lots of level = non moving tape... ;)
Hey Mr.Joel,

How would you connect the input/output transformers to the EHX 12ay7? I have been scouring the net for some info but can't seem to find any. Any help would be appreciated!

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:11 pm

getreel wrote:Maybe a Groove Tubes brick?
Not really. They sound nice (especially the DI), but it's not a color machine.

Cannibalizing old tape machine preamps, perhaps, is more to your liking? How about converting an old Tube Driver pedal?

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:53 am

An old Altec 1612a with a 1588C transformer ain't bad for a "trashy" sounding mic amp.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:30 am

red cross wrote:An old Altec 1612a with a 1588C transformer ain't bad for a "trashy" sounding mic amp.
They sound "trashy" simply because the gain is hardwired at max gain. Put yourself a gain control on there (There are 2 pins on the 1588C for this) and you have a pretty clean pre that can go from recording the loudest snare to a pretty quiet acoustic ect.

They are still somwhat colored but the color they are known for is from the fact that they break up so easy since the gain is at max. Drums sound awsome through them, especialy snare, after you tame them down.

There are also 2 different versions of the 1588C (Check the pics on my site).
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:30 am

Altec 1589 is colored, affordable, and really useful.

kojdogg
buyin' gear

Post by kojdogg » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:46 am

the rare joe meek vc brick (half rack space wide unit) is cool and decided colored. it also has very rock and roll opto compression
they pop up once in a while and can be had in that price range. i had one and kind of regret moving it, but i've ended up with nice stuff in its place :)
________
AMATEUR ORGY
Last edited by kojdogg on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.