going mac for $1,000 or less - new Mini, older G5, ??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

DinosaurSR
gimme a little kick & snare

going mac for $1,000 or less - new Mini, older G5, ??

Post by DinosaurSR » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:56 pm

I want to go Mac/Logic, but I'm pretty broke. As much as I'd love to lay out $2500 for an Imac or a lower-end pro tower, I more realistically have about $1K to work with - and that's if I really stretch.

What would be the best option for a workable setup for basic one-track-at-a-time home multitracking with Logic? A brand new maxed out mini comes in at $950 - but are there hidden dangers with those?

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:08 pm

Don't get one of the old G3s or G4s, go with an Intel Mac. That way it will still be supported by newer OS and software longer into the future. Also, Iv'e seen problems with audio and video software on upgraded older Macs. Don't expect a budget used G4 to be very stable or fast with newer software. This guy I know has an older G3 upgraded to G4 and he keeps trying to load up Final Cut and it crashed the OS every time. So he tries a newer version and it goes kablooey too! That was a great idea. Let's see.... since the version I have chokes on my old Mac, I'll get a newer one to try and solve the problem. I told him it was his old upgraded Mac and that Mac OS 10.4 and Logic probably don't even officially support his upgrade card.

ballpein
pushin' record

Post by ballpein » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:36 pm

A mini should pretty easily handle what you're describing. Buy as much ram as you can afford, but I wouldn't spend extra dough upgrading the hard drive. Rather, plan to buy an external drive down the road.

You can keep an eye on apple refurbished stuff too, sometimes there's good deals to be had there. Also, rumor is that a new mac mini is coming out pretty soon.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:31 pm

I'd go with a Mac Mini - the tower Macs are noisy, the Minis are very quiet.

On the other hand if need a slot to stick a card into, a Mini probably won't help you any.

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Re: going mac for $1,000 or less - new Mini, older G5, ??

Post by bannerj » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:02 pm

DinosaurSR wrote:I want to go Mac/Logic, but I'm pretty broke. As much as I'd love to lay out $2500 for an Imac or a lower-end pro tower, I more realistically have about $1K to work with - and that's if I really stretch.

What would be the best option for a workable setup for basic one-track-at-a-time home multitracking with Logic? A brand new maxed out mini comes in at $950 - but are there hidden dangers with those?
Get a new macbook. Just get the most basic one...something like $1100. Then you'll have the monitor too. You can then add another monitor and run two for mixing. You'll like it in the long run. I made a few records on an ibook G4 this way when I started five years or so ago. The macbooks smoke my old ibook. You can get alot done with one if you use native plugins.

Plus the laptop will make it easier to do location recording. This helped me a bunch when I had to go to a friend's house to use their piano.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:14 pm

hackintosh

i can put together a kicking quad core for under 800
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:26 am

Can it run Logic flawlessly and interact with all external devices without a hitch? PCI bus issues? Memory address, software update, etc?

Not to sound facetious -- I'd honestly just really like to know.
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

kojdogg
buyin' gear

Post by kojdogg » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:39 am

i went this way: refurbished mac mini core 2 duo 1.83ghz from the mac store-- about $525 shipped, 3 gb of corsair value ram - about $70 shipped (not including the $25 in mail in rebates i have yet to receive), factory-refurbished 160gb 7200rpm 2.5 seagate SATA drive $90 shipped, and bevelled putty knife to open the mini up - $5. it's probably not a great idea to have gotten a refurb hard drive, but (fingers crossed/knock on wood) no problems so far and i back up stuff regularly. for a little less than $700 all together it's a pretty badass little system.
the stock hard drives are a touch slow (5400 rpm) and even though apple lists the ram limit at 2gb for these models, it's been established that you can use 3gb (works for me).
________
UPSKIRT YOUNG
Last edited by kojdogg on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:57 am

Anyone who spends over $1 on a computer these days is nuts.

Pickup a refurb G4 on ebay for $100 or less. Upgrade the processor with an OWC 2.0 Ghz dual for $500+.

Second drive, 160 GB Seagate ATA for $49

Then you're up and running.

You will also be able to run the latest version of OS X.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:16 am

@?,*???&? wrote:Anyone who spends over $1 on a computer these days is nuts.

Pickup a refurb G4 on ebay for $100 or less. Upgrade the processor with an OWC 2.0 Ghz dual for $500+.

Isn't 100+500+49 = $649 more than $1?

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:16 pm

You will also be able to run the latest version of OS X.
don't waste your time with a G4. a dual processor maybe, but you at least get into an intel chip. A G4 only if you really have to prove yourself a luddite. You'll just end up pulling your hair out trying out.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:48 pm

Look, I agree with going Intel these days. However, my Dual 1.8GHz G5 Powermac with 3GB of RAM and like 1TB of drive space (between my drives) gets the job done every time. Seriously. I could make records with it for the next 10 years and be happy about it. It's the VI thing that gets *a little* annoying at times, but I have a system in place to get around it and it's just one extra step.

My setup totally rocks and I wish you luck on your new Mac purchase. Please feel free to PM me with any questions.

Jeff

glitch
studio intern

Post by glitch » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:45 am

I've really been looking at a Mac G5 1.8 dual or 2GHz dual lately as well. It would not be my main system, but just a separate system to run PT on. You can find one well setup for about $700 shipped. That's not much money to plunk down and you'd be able to get on making music right away. Upgrade to an Intel later and then kick the G5 to internet duties.

My main system is a fast dual core silent PC that I built and it will stay that way until I make the jump to an Intel Mac (mostly for use as a Windows machine).

theBlubberRanch
takin' a dinner break

Post by theBlubberRanch » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:12 am

GooberNumber9 wrote:

kilo bucks are the new dollars.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:44 pm

theBlubberRanch wrote:
GooberNumber9 wrote:

kilo bucks are the new dollars.
They are in a George W. Bush recession!