Stretching audio in protools

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

BeepBeep
takin' a dinner break

Stretching audio in protools

Post by BeepBeep » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:42 pm

Hello,

I remember doing this in a class I took (almost 8 months ago), but I don't remember how to do it. I'm using M-Powered 7.1 and I feel so powerful.

Thanks

Mark Legat
gettin' sounds

Post by Mark Legat » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:45 pm

I believe you go to the stretch tool and click and hold on it and it brings up 3 seperate modes. Do the one with the clock or circle thing in the middle. The tool that looks like this ]
RIT 08'

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:32 am

You can click and hold the trimmer tool button and the pull down menu will pop up. Or you can hit F6 a couple times and you will cycle through the various trimmer tools. The time stretching one is the one with the clock.
Just make sure that you separate the region into a small piece so you're only stretching the bit that you want to streatch. If you're not careful you could stretch (and process) a very long chunk of audio.
Also, if you don't hit the right spot on the first try you should hit the undo button and try again. If you go back and forth you'll be processing on top of processing, and each attempt will end up as a new file on the hard drive... worse sound and more disk space used.

-Jeremy

BeepBeep
takin' a dinner break

Post by BeepBeep » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:02 pm

Thanks for your help.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:15 pm

Also you should go to their website and watch the video that demo's 7.4 which is all about time stretching. $75 upgrade to go from 7.1 to 7.4.

Aquaman
gettin' sounds

Post by Aquaman » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:38 am

The new time-stretching algorithm is quite a bit better than the old one, too. 7.4 is a great upgrade for the $$.

BeepBeep
takin' a dinner break

Post by BeepBeep » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:16 am

Ahh, Aquaman answering my next question without even prompting.
Aquaman wrote:The new time-stretching algorithm is quite a bit better than the old one, too. 7.4 is a great upgrade for the $$.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:01 pm

Aquaman wrote:The new time-stretching algorithm is quite a bit better than the old one, too. 7.4 is a great upgrade for the $$.
The Elastic Audio function of 7.4 is actually pretty freaking amazing, at least compared to PTs previous stretching abilities... Not to mention that it's extremely good at reading transients accurately, thus making moving your audio around like silly putty actually possible. If you're into time-stretching and gridding, you simply must get this upgrade...