U47-ish Overhead Suggestions Please

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:48 am

junkshop wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:. Save the 20k for something else. like a mic pre, or maybe a compressor.
Or rent. For a year.
exactly.

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Post by Huntlabs » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:31 pm

Looks like he is considering Rode K2's.... and some really good preamps. He has plenty of money for rent so that wont be an issue. Personally he should invest the cash but that isn't going to happen.

I thank you all for the suggestions and apologize for taking up your time.
"Add water, makes its own sauce"

www.CRACKERTONES.com

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:57 pm

Huntlabs wrote:Looks like he is considering Rode K2's.... and some really good preamps. He has plenty of money for rent so that wont be an issue. Personally he should invest the cash but that isn't going to happen.

No Problem.

All us goons secretly like talking about this crap, anyway! :wink:

Incidentally, I think I should mention that the sound of a K2 is about as far as you can possibly get from the sound of a U47.

Gove this advice to your wealthy friend: Don't fall for marketing. Listen. I'm not saying the K2 is a bad mic. I'm just saying..... listen. It's really just about the most important skill anyone needs as a producer, engineer, musician or conversationalist.

Or you could tell him to poke around at Gearslutz. He'd probably be much happier there.

If your friend has a giant wad burning in his pocket and really wants Beatles overheads, he should just go ahead and buy some D19s. Of course, there's a chance he loves the songs of the Beatles but the sound of modern records. In that case, the K2s might do him well. Otherwise, The D19s are expensive enough these days to make any rich hobbyist feel like he should be able to make good-sounding recordings. I've met many a rich hobbyist. Without fail, the majority of them seem to equate price with quality regardless of any other factors. Whatever. That's fine. They're just trying to live out a fantasy... just like any of us!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:07 am

fossiltooth wrote:
Huntlabs wrote:Looks like he is considering Rode K2's.... and some really good preamps. He has plenty of money for rent so that wont be an issue. Personally he should invest the cash but that isn't going to happen.

No Problem.

Incidentally, I think I should mention that the sound of a K2 is about as far as you can possibly get from the sound of a U47.

Gove this advice to your wealthy friend: Don't fall for marketing. Listen. I'm not saying the K2 is a bad mic. I'm just saying..... listen. It's really just about the most important skill anyone needs as a producer, engineer, musician or conversationalist.

Or you could tell him to poke around at Gearslutz. He'd probably be much happier there.

If your friend has a giant wad burning in his pocket and really wants Beatles overheads, he should just go ahead and buy some D19s. Of course, there's a chance he loves the songs of the Beatles but the sound of modern records. In that case, the K2s might do him well. Otherwise, The D19s are expensive enough these days to make any rich hobbyist feel like he should be able to make good-sounding recordings. I've met many a rich hobbyist. Without fail, the majority of them seem to equate price with quality regardless of any other factors. Whatever. That's fine. They're just trying to live out a fantasy... just like any of us!
BUT:

If it is an investment you want, then by all means, get a pair of U47's at the bst price you can find, because they have consistently outperformed the stock market for about 8 years now. really. I have 47's and I have stocks. I have a bunch of different vintage, sought after neumann mics, and I have stocks. I cant help but hear about how both of those things are doing on the open market, because somone will always say to me "damn, man, the market is down another hundred points today." or someone else will say, "man, can you believe that vintage kind has a U67 listed for 6500 dollars??!?"

So if your pal wants to invest in something that will appreciate, get a pair of racked, vintage Neve channels, and a pair of vintage neumann microphones.

I really do feel stringly that saving a little more money and buying something that appreciates is good advice in these financial times. DOnt just buy the 1000 dollar mic that will be worth 600 dollars a month after you hit "buy it now."

if you have the money, get the good stuff. You will be glad, because the stuff works really well, sounds really good, and appreciates in value, even if you are not doing a session, you are making money with stuff like that in your racks/ in your mic locker.
just my 20k....

ckeene
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ckeene » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:52 pm

joel hamilton wrote:
fossiltooth wrote:

No Problem.

BUT:

If it is an investment you want, then by all means, get a pair of U47's at the bst price you can find, because they have consistently outperformed the stock market for about 8 years now. really. I have 47's and I have stocks. I have a bunch of different vintage, sought after neumann mics, and I have stocks. I cant help but hear about how both of those things are doing on the open market, because somone will always say to me "damn, man, the market is down another hundred points today." or someone else will say, "man, can you believe that vintage kind has a U67 listed for 6500 dollars??!?"

So if your pal wants to invest in something that will appreciate, get a pair of racked, vintage Neve channels, and a pair of vintage neumann microphones.

I really do feel stringly that saving a little more money and buying something that appreciates is good advice in these financial times. DOnt just buy the 1000 dollar mic that will be worth 600 dollars a month after you hit "buy it now."

if you have the money, get the good stuff. You will be glad, because the stuff works really well, sounds really good, and appreciates in value, even if you are not doing a session, you are making money with stuff like that in your racks/ in your mic locker.
just my 20k....
I'm gonna print this post out and give it to my girlfriend!

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:50 am

joel hamilton wrote:A single U47 would work well through a fairchild 660.
I use a pair of M49's instead of U47's. I have enough 47's that I could put a pair above the kit , an one in the room, but I dont.
M49s are pretty sweet for this. In the past though, I've relegated those to room mic use.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:19 am

lanois is pretty open about his love of U47s as overhead (mono usually i think)
the new rules : there are no rules

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:31 am

joninc wrote:lanois is pretty open about his love of U47s as overhead (mono usually i think)
I have used them a bunch, a bunch of people have used U47's as OH. They are great microphones. I just like the detail and balance in the upper mids that i get from a pair of 49's. The 47's always felt a bit more boxy in my room. The M49's just have that perfect gleam I am looking for from the OH... makes my life much easier getting a god overall kit balance, for sure.

gevermil
takin' a dinner break

Post by gevermil » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:48 pm

Wild horses and brown sugar off of sticky fingers had the single U47 overhead .
But as far as a ringo sound , cripes , a ludwig kit in a good room with 3 or 4 mics should do it . Minus ringos amazing timming - I can get close with just a beyer M88 on the kick and a EV635a overhead with a little eq bump and ...well ... going to analog tape .

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:44 am

gevermil wrote:Wild horses and brown sugar off of sticky fingers had the single U47 overhead .
I, for one, couldn't imagine using that album as a benchmark on a sonic level. If I accidentally made a record that sounded as awful as the majority of the Rolling Stones' discography, I'd hang my head in shame at my sub-par engineering skills and lack of taste and aesthetic judgment. When I heard that the guitar on Brown Sugar was recorded with an RE15, I almost wanted to stop using RE15s on guitar so often.

Just because you like the songs doesn't mean the record "sounds" great. I don't know, maybe I'm alone here, but it only "sounds" good in the same way a Wipers album or a the first Velvet Underground album, Or Beck's "One Foot In The Grave" "sounds good"... If you like the material, the production can be so endearingly messy and jagged and familiar that it seems like a good recording. But I'll tell you this much: Those drum sounds aren't making me leap out of my skin to by a U47!

On the other hand, Zeppelin apparently recorded a lot of their (always stellar sounding) material on the same "portable" system as the Stones. Just another little factoid that goes on to prove it ain't the car, but the driver. And I can tell you another thing: they weren't using U47s as overheads.

gevermil
takin' a dinner break

Post by gevermil » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:57 pm

" I, for one, couldn't imagine using that album as a benchmark on a sonic level. If I accidentally made a record that sounded as awful as the majority of the Rolling Stones' discography, I'd hang my head in shame at my sub-par engineering skills and lack of taste and aesthetic judgment. When I heard that the guitar on Brown Sugar was recorded with an RE15, I almost wanted to stop using RE15s on guitar so often. "

WOW , Im in the presence of greatness . Im so happy to have a talent as big as yours gracing this forum .

Thank you for pointing out the error of my ways

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:51 pm

Sorry dude. I think Stones records sound like ass and Zeppelin records are the cats meow. A man's entitled to his (bold and arrogant) opinion. I ain't takin' it back.

It's not that I think I'm so great, and that I can make better sounding records than the stones....

I think tasteful kids in their mother's basements can make better sounding records than The Stones on their MBoxes. Seriously.

Yes, I know I've cracked open a can of worms. Flame away Stones-Lovers!

Incidentally, I'm not saying that The Stones Suck. I just don't think they're the holy grail of 'recording technique'.

gevermil
takin' a dinner break

Post by gevermil » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:50 pm

No problems man . 8)

fremitus
pushin' record

Post by fremitus » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:15 pm

another vote for the Lawson 47 as a mono overhead just behind the drummer and about 5-6' off the ground. i use it a lot, throw it through an API pre and my trusty ADL 1000 and you're talking an insanely good sounding room mic with little or no eq necessary for good times.

idealfreedistribution
alignin' 24-trk

Post by idealfreedistribution » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:41 am

Funny, I think those Stones records sound brutal, honest, and fantastic. Also, Andy Johns was engineering a lot of Stick Fingers and Exile on Main Street AND he also did of the Led Zeppelin catalog! Seems the same bozo was doing the mic placement and setting up the gear for both!