Amp recommendations

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Amp recommendations

Post by curtiswyant » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:29 pm

Hi all, I recently started playing guitar in a rock 'n' roll band and my little Vibrochamp just isn't cutting it :cry:
I'd use my Egnater TOL head but the other guitarist is too poor to afford an amp! So, I think I need to get a new amp. I basically want a louder version of my silverface champ with reverb and tremolo, under $500. ???

stooge
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Amp recommendations

Post by stooge » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:51 pm

curtiswyant wrote:Hi all, I recently started playing guitar in a rock 'n' roll band and my little Vibrochamp just isn't cutting it :cry:
I'd use my Egnater TOL head but the other guitarist is too poor to afford an amp! So, I think I need to get a new amp. I basically want a louder version of my silverface champ with reverb and tremolo, under $500. ???
If you've already got a cabinet, I'd probably recommend a silverface bandmaster reverb head...it's big and ungainly looking, but they can be found in the $400-$500 range...40 watts, tremolo, and reverb.

VelvetoneStudios
takin' a dinner break

Post by VelvetoneStudios » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:20 pm

The sickest amp in that range is the Fender Blues Jr.(ca $250 used) It's got a stellar tone and at 15 true tube watts it's got plenty of stage volume. If it's not loud enough for where you're playing, chances are the club will mic it into the P.A. anyway. It gets tones from country twang to fuzzed out acid in a tiny and reliable package. (excluding the solid state 'verb that tends to wear out over time) If you dont like the sound of it's open back speaker, use a female/female adapter and speaker cable to your cab. When these first came out I used one onstage facing up to 15,000 heads. Cheap, vibey and reliable, not to mention light and VERY portable!
Thanx,
Tony C.
Velvetone Studios
velvetonestudios@gmail.com
myspace.com/velvetonestudios
Tony C. and The Truth
tonycfromthetruth@yahoo.com
myspace.com/tcatt

segaface
steve albini likes it

Post by segaface » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:36 pm

Sort of echoing what Tony said above, you should check out the Blackheart Handsome Devil Combo. I played the Little Giant Half-Stack and I was impressed. I'm sure the 15 watter will be similarly nice.

fossiltooth wrote: That's like saying you hate Fenders because of Yngwie Malmsteen.
My musics.

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Re: Amp recommendations

Post by Huntlabs » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:29 pm

curtiswyant wrote: I basically want a louder version of my silverface champ with reverb and tremolo, under $500. ???
That price point is tough but if you look for a 70's Fender Deluxe reverb that is a bit beat up you might get one for $500.

The Princeton Reverb with a good speaker might do it as well. I have a 1967 Black Face Princeton Reverb that I have a Weber 10 California speaker in. I play it at gigs and practice. I love that amp.

It all depends on how loud your drummer is?
"Add water, makes its own sauce"

www.CRACKERTONES.com

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:47 pm

Old silverface twins seem to be one of the best bargains in used amps these days. No one wants the weight or needs the wattage. You probably don't either, but they have reverb and tremelo, and they take pedals well. Headroom for years, too.

I prefer loud amps, so the current vogue for low-watters is fine by me.

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:03 am

Thanks for the replies. I think a Deluxe Reverb would be perfect but the ebay prices are outrageous! I want something that breaks up early, too, before my ears bleed. :D

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:26 am

Used Pro Jr + EH Holy Grail + Fulltone SupaTrem = $450 = great setup.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:49 am

I don't think a Pro Jr. has any more volume than a Vibro Champ.

There are a lot of amplifiers like the Peavey Classic series, Laney, Kustom Coupe (my personal recommendation).

I sent you a PM with a link to a Kustom Coupe 72 for $499 at a Guitar Center. They are really reasonable with shipping cost and get things to you in a few days.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:08 am

minorleagues wrote:I don't think a Pro Jr. has any more volume than a Vibro Champ.
Clean, agreed. Cranked, it's pretty darn loud.

Rolsen
steve albini likes it

Post by Rolsen » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:22 am

+ umpteenth endorsement for fender blues jr. I thought mine was pretty good until I plugged it into my new Avatar 2x12 (loaded with celestion G12H30 and V30) that I got for another amp - holy crap it was awesome. The stock speaker handicaps that amp. On some fender forum, it seemed everyone raved about the 'texas heat' speaker from emminence, I think? They're $70 and I think I'll be getting one soon.

btw, with the 2x12, the amp kept up with a drummer. Without, it still does, but just barely. Should be fine for most situations.

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:40 pm

take a listen to a crate 1512